The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 11, 2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Scattergun Bob

Department of Education Buying Shotguns!

For those of you who went NUTS with the IRS buying shotguns this one should really get in your Knickers.

Quote:
The U.S. Department of Education (ED) intends to purchase twenty-seven (27) REMINGTON BRAND MODEL 870 POLICE 12/14P MOD GRWC XS4 KXCS SF. RAMAC #24587 GAUGE: 12 BARREL: 14" - PARKERIZED CHOKE: MODIFIED SIGHTS: GHOST RING REAR WILSON COMBAT; FRONT - XS CONTOUR BEAD SIGHT STOCK: KNOXX REDUCE RECOIL ADJUSTABLE STOCK FORE-END: SPEEDFEED SPORT-SOLID - 14" LOP are designated as the only shotguns authorized for ED based on compatibility with ED existing shotgun inventory, certified armor and combat training and protocol, maintenance, and parts.

A spokesperson for the Department of Education says the guns are for use by officers with the agency’s Office of Inspector General. They have full federal law enforcement authority, and the IG’s office investigates “waste, fraud, abuse, and other criminal activity involving Federal education funds, programs, and operations.”
Quote:
Well, AT LEAST they are buying the Right scattergun.

The thought of vested and scattergun armed agents running down the halls of a Kindergarten / elementary school gives a whole new meaning to "hall monitoring" and sends a chill down my spine!

Good Luck & Keep Your Kids Safe.
Old March 11, 2010, 10:44 AM   #2
FreakGasolineFight

The Dept. of Education shouldn't be issued guns. Ditto on the IRS. If they truly need to be protected from someone or something they can go right ahead and call the local PD.
Old March 11, 2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

27 shotguns for all the fraud and abuse in the entire US educational system?

Seems like a plan to me.

Next thing, there will be shotgun armed police in the steam rooms of Congress.
Old March 11, 2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Technosavant

Better not forget your hall pass.
Old March 11, 2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Scattergun Bob

Quote:
Next thing, there will be shotgun armed police in the steam rooms of Congress.
IS THAT A 14" SCATTERGUN UNDER YOUR TOWEL HONNEY, OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE ME!:barf:
Old March 11, 2010, 11:34 AM   #6
mathman

With all the money that is wasted in the Dept of Ed, at least the money spent here will last a while.
Old March 11, 2010, 12:08 PM   #7
zippy13

Scattergun Bob, my friend, we sure are living in interesting times. Shotguns for education funding fraud enforcement: Do I laugh or cry?
Old March 11, 2010, 12:29 PM   #8
comn-cents

Does anyone actually know who will be issued these and what their job is? I say if they need them why not! I read an article 10 years a go how Israel had a long history of shootings in school. Then they started training people to carry on campuses. No one new who was carrying and who wasn't, but the word was out that there were armed teachers and or parents ready to defend their school. It has seemed to work, I've never heard of a school shooting in Israel. Maybe the Vice Principal will be toting a shotgun around discouraging would be confused children from doing anything stupid.
Old March 11, 2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Scattergun Bob

comn-cents

Quote:
Does anyone actually know who will be issued these and what their job is?

As stated in my origional post;
A spokesperson for the Department of Education says the guns are for use by officers with the agency’s Office of Inspector General. They have full federal law enforcement authority, and the IG’s office investigates “waste, fraud, abuse, and other criminal activity involving Federal education funds, programs, and operations.”
Old March 11, 2010, 04:25 PM   #10
Scattergun Bob

zippy13

Pete, my friend, my only great solace in life is that I am at the end of my life and not the beginning. I am hoping that I may sit on the sidelines and hold the horses thru the events that seem to be coming our way.

My father used to say that LIFE is what happens while your are trying to plan out your future.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old March 11, 2010, 07:15 PM   #11
sheepman

These are the same folks that think the rest of the population should be disarmed?
Old March 11, 2010, 07:27 PM   #12
BigJimP

Aw come on Bob ....its almost Friday .... show a little Optimism ...

Common sense may prevail ....we can at least hope .../ and with a little diligence and careful attention from the citizens ...(I wish I was more confident in our average citizens ability to read, learn and care about some of this stuff ....).

It wouldn't be like this if we were in charge ....and I'm too old and cranky ...but if you run for Congress, I'll support you .... I'd even loan you that Sig X-Five you like - for a desk gun ...

I'm with Zippy...but I can't just cry ....so I have to laugh ...and email my congressmen and senators ... and at least ask what they heck they're doing on this issue .. Stay well my friend !
Old March 11, 2010, 07:29 PM   #13
Pezo

My first inclination on this topic was, cool they're finally teaching some interesting things in school. I wish they had defensive shotgunning when I was there.
Old March 11, 2010, 09:11 PM   #14
ADB

Quote:
These are the same folks that think the rest of the population should be disarmed?
Where'd that come from?
Old March 11, 2010, 09:45 PM   #15
nutty ned

Here it is again.
It is to enforce attendance at PTA meetings.
Old March 11, 2010, 09:51 PM   #16
Mr Dish

You know.....If my old math teacher had been packing a shotgun...I would have paid better attention
Old March 11, 2010, 10:22 PM   #17
Dfariswheel

What possible need could a "fraud, abuse, and waste" unit have for short barrel shotguns.
The only possible purpose for that type of gun is for raids, and the Department of Education has NO business doing raids.

There's way too many Federal agencies arming themselves to the teeth, and in most cases, its so they can enhance their image not because they have any need.
This leads increasingly to the attitude that the citizens are the just prey of whoever thinks they should enforce the myriad laws that are on the books.

In too many cases, the guns and the black raid gear is nothing more than a status symbol between agencies.
Old March 12, 2010, 01:35 AM   #18
BlackFeather

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old March 12, 2010, 11:07 AM   #19
2damnold4this

Does every federal agency need its own law enforcement branch? Does the Department of Silly Walks need some goose stepping agents?
Old March 12, 2010, 11:17 AM   #20
LanceOregon

Then there is the Federal Protective Services Police force, which now numbers 2,200 nation-wide.

We have a few of these officers assigned to where I live, to protect the local federal buildings.

Old March 12, 2010, 12:34 PM   #21
RetiredLawman

Somebody has already stolen their hubcaps.
Old March 12, 2010, 01:15 PM   #22
Uncle Ben

This seems to go along with what most of "us" generally believe...that the good guys need to have guns since the bad guys will have them and use them without asking permission from anybody - regardless of the fact that just about all schools are "gun free" zones. Somehow the bad guys don't really seem to care if there is a sign outside that says "gun free zone" :barf:

Of course I would rather the teachers and other school staff be able to carry legally on campus with a CC permit, so that the schools could be filled with guns in the hands of the "good guys", and spread all throughout the campus, whether it be elementary, highschool, or college.
Old March 12, 2010, 01:36 PM   #23
BillCA

Whoa! The department of education?

Okay, so how violent are these people who are committing “waste, fraud, abuse, and other criminal activity involving Federal education funds, programs, and operations?"

Help me understand this. The IG investigators uncover some kind of violation. Are they going to suit up in black armor and bring tactical shotguns to arrest someone? Will they do that to...
-- The linoleum contractor who overbilled $80,000?
-- A coach who gets a kickback to recommend a sports store?
-- The owner of a furniture store who overcharged for the principal's new desk?
-- The five teens who vandalized two dozen lockers?
-- Four thieves who stole six computers from the school lab?

C'mon. They develop the case, get a warrant and then call on local PD or Federal agents to arrest these folks.

I can't even see this as justified for officers who patrol federal department buildings using a car like that shown above. If they see something suspicious, they should call for backup from the local PD.

Quote:
In too many cases, the guns and the black raid gear is nothing more than a status symbol between agencies.
Gotta agree with Dfariswheel on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Damnold4this
Does every federal agency need its own law enforcement branch? Does the Department of Silly Walks need some goose stepping agents?
Thanks... I needed to mop off my keyboard anyhow.
Old March 12, 2010, 01:42 PM   #24
Doc Intrepid

Wait until you see the M-1 Abrams tanks purchased by the Bureau of Land Management.....

Old March 12, 2010, 02:02 PM   #25
crghss

Do I laugh or cry?

I stopped laughing a long time ago.