The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old February 27, 2006, 06:56 PM   #1
utaherrn

congressional corruption

here's the link
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=1667009&page=1

For a start, let's not get into the political affiliation of those involved. There's plenty of scum on both sides of the aisle to fill several septic tanks, so forget that issue and stick to the point which is.......

I am just wondering why the "briber" faces 20 years and the "bribee" only faces 10 years. What's wrong with this picture?
Shouldn't the corrupt congressman face more time because of betrayal of the public trust, malfeasance in office, being a pompous dumba$$, etc?
Old February 27, 2006, 07:24 PM   #2
Fal 4 Me

Quote:
Shouldn't the corrupt congressman face more time because of betrayal of the public trust, malfeasance in office, being a pompous dumba$$, etc?
+1

I've thought about this kind of thing myself on more than one occasion. Personally I think if a congressman gets caught taking a bribe they should face a mandatory minimum of at least 30 years.
Old February 27, 2006, 07:27 PM   #3
utaherrn

maybe I just have a simple minded idea of right and wrong and justice.

30 years sounds about right.........and a swift kick in the scrotum

daily

for 30 years
Old February 27, 2006, 07:52 PM   #4
fisherman66

Depending on the nature of the corruption (pilforing the coffers), I'd call it Treason; and penalty in accord.
Old February 27, 2006, 08:13 PM   #5
garand_shooter

Quote:
and a swift kick in the scrotum
With steel tipped boots!
Old February 28, 2006, 02:37 AM   #6
BigFunWMU

Steel tipped does sounds even less friendly than steel toes!

Kinda sharp sounding.....

It wouldn't be too bad to seem them in a "federal pound-me-in-the-a$$ prison" with the general population, and lose all those nice lifetime congressional benefits....

Yay for Office Space.....
Old February 28, 2006, 04:59 AM   #7
MicroBalrog

Look at the bright side.

At least they are not quite as corrupt as they are here in Israel.
Old February 28, 2006, 06:15 AM   #8
#18indycolts

corruption in politics? I thought they were joking about that.
Old February 28, 2006, 09:50 AM   #9
Robert J McElwain

But isn't it comforting to know we have the best politicians corporate America can buy?:barf:

Bob

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson
Old February 28, 2006, 03:51 PM   #10
Don H

Quote:
Since congressmen make the laws, I'm surprised the penalty is as stiff as it is. They DO consider this to be normal behavior, you know!
Old February 28, 2006, 04:01 PM   #11
Robert J McElwain

Quote:
Since congressmen make the laws, I'm surprised the penalty is as stiff as it is. They DO consider this to be normal behavior, you know!
And it should surprise no one that most laws that are written have a very distinct clause in just about everyone of them exempting Congress and many government agencies from them.

For example, Congress is exempt from most of the laws dealing with racism and sexual harassment. Big surprise!!!

Bob

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson
Old February 28, 2006, 06:07 PM   #12
JerryM

Those entrusted with making or enforcing laws must be held to the highest standards. I would make the analogy of a pastor being above reproach. They must be held to the highest standards if they are to preach to others.

A congressman who takes bribes should serve a long stint in prison. I am not talking about some of the laws involving campaign finance. Those seem to be full of holes, and should be tightened.

But when congressmen take long vacations paid for by companies or those who will seek favors in legislation, or when they take money like Duke Cunningham, they need to go to jail period.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old February 28, 2006, 08:12 PM   #13
Ruger4570

Jerry I agree with you totally.. the problem is they have the power and seldom pay for what they do. Teddy Kennedy is a good example for one.
Old February 28, 2006, 08:24 PM   #14
JerryM

Ruger4570,
Too true. If Ted Kennedy had been someone like you or me he would have been in jail. Instead the people of Mass continue to worship him and that bunch of reprobates.

Wish I could stop "beating around the bush" and say it outright.
Added,
What really hurts regarding Cunningham is that as a career soldier, I have found the honor of military officers higher than any other profession. That includes preachers. I know that the budget process and congress has often been a game of asking too much and hoping that when it is cut you get what you really need. But when one gives his word that is a trust that only he can break. Someone or something can take all I have in this world, except my moral integrity/honor. I have to give that up.

But if I were to ask a serious question and get an answer or someone told me they would do something I would trust a military officer of top NCO above anyone else. So Duke shocks me and leaves me saddened that such a fine career could wind up this way.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.