The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 12, 2013, 12:59 AM   #1
crawdad185

Older Charter Arms Undercover

My uncle gave me his old Stratford Charter Undercover recently. The cylinder release was inoperative and wouldn't release the cylinder. I got the cylinder open by pulling on the shell ejector rod and then replaced the entire release assembly with all new parts.
Although this fixed the problem with getting the cylinder open, it still feels very rough and hard to push in. I insured that the screw that releases the cylinder was flush with the frame. It came with locktite already on it from Charter. I also checked the shell ejector rod to make sure it was not bent and was working freely, and it was.
Question is whether I missed something or if there is anything else I can do to smooth up the release. I know it's not a Smith & Wesson, but am I just relegated to having to put up with this sort of thing from this brand of revolver?
Old January 12, 2013, 02:27 AM   #2
lowercase

If the cylinder latch is difficult to activate, there might be a small burr somewhere causing the problem.

I have a vintage Police Bulldog .38 with the same problem. Charter will repair the older revolvers for a reasonable fee, so I would recommend sending it to them. That's what I'll eventually do with mine.

Where I live, very few gunsmiths work on Charters, and most lof the local gunsmiths cost an arm and a leg anyway. If you can find an "old timer" gunsmith with reasonable prices who isn't afraid to work on a Charter, you can go that route.

I did happen to find just such an "old timer" gunsmith who fixes little nitnoid things on revolvers for what is usually a $35 fee. By comparison, the other gunsmith in my area charges a $40 upfront fee to even take the gun in for work, and then costs $75 per hour after that. It pays to shop around.
Old January 12, 2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Nasty

Send it to Charter...very nice folks who happen to work on them for a living.

They even have all the parts need for any repair.
Old January 12, 2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Tom Matiska

does the cylinder latch release screw not adjust forward when turned? Mine works its way in every now and then but adjusts back out. Part 15 in this diagram...

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...over-37984.htm
Old January 12, 2013, 09:54 PM   #5
crawdad185

Yes, it is adjusted properly, which I believe is flush with the face of the frame. The screw had locktite on it and it is not moving at all.
Let me clarify, the cylinder will release, it's just very rough. Feels like it is dragging on something when I push the release button forward. Is this a problem with any other charters that you guys might own, or are yours real smooth, etc.?
Old January 15, 2013, 09:29 AM   #6
mxsailor803

Take a dry erase marker to the front and rear of the cylinder. Color it well enough to see if/where its rubbing and go from there.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:27 AM   #7
crawdad185

Good idea, thanks.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Slopemeno

I think it's the base pin hole in the recoil shield. Try this: Check to make sure your gun is empty and close the cylinder. Push on the front of the ejector rod. Is it harder to open than normal?
Old January 15, 2013, 12:12 PM   #9
slugoo

My charters cyl latch release screw sits with at least 1 thread showing, if it works its way flush it will get very hard to get the cyl to release. You need to turn the screw counter clockwise one full turn to get your cyl to release easy. Charlie
Old January 15, 2013, 08:58 PM   #10
crawdad185

I have always heard that the screw should sit flush, but I'll sure turn it out and give that a try. Thanks for the tips fellas. I'll give them all a try.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:35 PM   #11
crawdad185

Ok, just got through checking a few things. Turned the release screw out one turn, didn't seem to make any difference than sitting flush. However, in the process of checking, I think I may have stumbled onto something. The release button is, in fact, releasing the cylinder fine as best I can tell. The problem seems to be in swinging the cylinder out. It seems to be rubbing kinda hard on the forcing cone of the barrell. The front of the cylinder is shiney where it has been rubbing and I can see some wear on the cone itself. I'm thinking maybe it sits too close to the forcing cone, or when I'm opening it, I'm forcing the cylinder into the forcing cone. The cylinder is not touching the forcing cone when it is closed and no pressure put on it. I can see a slight gap when I hold it up to a bright light. However, I can push the cylinder forward slightly until it makes contact with it. I don't know if any of this means anything, but would like to hear what y'all have to say about it. Thanks