The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 4, 2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Vireye

Interesting Policy Change in CT (Hoffman's)

Apologies if this belongs elsewhere, but it seems a "civil rights" issue to me:

Hoffman's Gun Center in Newington CT, announced a policy change today:

Per their FB Page:

"Effective Immediately:
Hoffman’s Gun Center will require a Ct. State Pistol permit to purchase “Assault Style” center fire rifles .

Active Military, Ct Hunting License & law Enforcement will also be accepted."

Prior policy (same as CT law) is no permit required to purchase a rifle or shotgun, but there is a 2-week waiting period unless you are a LEO or Military.

For all intents and purposes, this prevents "only" those without ANY permit from procuring an "assault style" rifle. I, unfortunately, do not have any numbers or statistics to determine how many people

My knee-jerk reaction is this is simply a money-making idea...these rifles are in such high demand, why wait two weeks when you can sell them immediately and make profit same-day? They jacked their PMAG prices from $15 to $40 as well, though I imagine this is as much due to their rising distributor cost as their own design.

Others believe they are giving in to media drama, and yet others have made even more claims, some bordering on the absurd.

Curious as to your thoughts?
Old January 4, 2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Conn. Trooper

I was in there last week, they didn't have any rifles left to sell anyway. It is a private enterprise, if they want to only sell to permit holders, that is up to them. Odd choice in my opinion, but it is their store.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Vireye

I don't deny it's their right, I still find it interesting that they'd change their store policy at this point. Honestly I haven't made the trek there since December for just that reason...it's a 40 minute drive for rising prices and an inventory that's been nearly wiped out, when I can drive 15 minutes and deal with K5 and Grayson's.
Old January 4, 2013, 10:19 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Their house, their rules. It's not really a civil rights issue, even if it's an odd business decision.

I confess a relative ignorance of Connecticut law. Does having a permit allow buyers to bypass the NICS check?
Old January 4, 2013, 10:37 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
I confess a relative ignorance of Connecticut law. Does having a permit allow buyers to bypass the NICS check?
I believe that is the case. One of the early reports on the Sandy Hook massacre noted that the shooter had tried to buy a rifle from a store in Danbury (which is adjacent to Newtown) the week prior to the shooting and was "turned down." A little more research indicated that he wasn't denied, but he was told he had to wait two weeks, and he didn't want to do that. Permit holders apparently are exempt from NICS.

Obviously, he had other options available to him ...
Old January 4, 2013, 11:00 PM   #6
Daugherty16

The CT pistol permit allows a person to carry concealed or openly a loaded pistol in all lawful places, and purchase a pistol or long gun and take it with them at the time of purchase.

A CT pistol certificate allows a person (who goes about 80% of the way through the permit process but stops just short) to purchase a pistol and take it at the time of purchase to their place of residence or business, but there it stays. The law possibly, but not explicitly, allows them to transport it locked/unloaded to a practice facility.

No other person may purchase or possess a pistol in CT with the exception of someone participating in a sanctioned competition, but then the interrstate transportation rules apply before and after.

A person holding a pistol permit or a valid hunting license may purchase a long gun and take it with them upon purchase.

A person with neither a hunting license or pistol permit may purchase a long gun but is subject to a mandatory 10-day waiting period before consummating the purchase.

In all cases a NICS check is mandatory prior to consummating the purchase.

I think that covers the purchase/sale from a licensed dealer.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:23 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I belive you are incorrect on two points, but perhaps Conn. Trooper can clarify:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daugherty16
A CT pistol certificate allows a person (who goes about 80% of the way through the permit process but stops just short) to purchase a pistol and take it at the time of purchase to their place of residence or business, but there it stays. The law possibly, but not explicitly, allows them to transport it locked/unloaded to a practice facility.
The certificate of eligibility absolutely does NOT in any way allow for transport to a range ... irrespective of locked and unloaded. The statute is very clear that if you don't have a carry permit you are allowed to transport only to a gun shop for sale, to or from a gunsmith for repair, or between your home and YOUR place of business.

Quote:
No other person may purchase or possess a pistol in CT with the exception of someone participating in a sanctioned competition, but then the interrstate transportation rules apply before and after.
The law says nothing about possession. If I lived in Vermont and had an "arsenal" of 25 handguns and 50 long guns, I could relocate my residence to Connecticut, bring ALL those guns with me, and as long as I kept them in my house I would not be in violation of any laws.
Old January 5, 2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Conn. Trooper

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and "transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

If I read that correctly Aquila is correct. Eligibility Certificate is very limited in where you can carry/possess. I don't believe going to the range would be an exception from the pistol permit requirement. In my experience the certificate is only to purchase a pistol and possess it in your home or place of work, thats it.

I have never actually even seen one. Everybody I have come across either had a permit or they didn't. I have never seen the certificate.
Old January 5, 2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Conn. Trooper

Every time I have purchased a firearm, on my permit or on my ID, they called in for the NICS check. I don't think the permit avoids a NICS check, it just allows you to take the gun home that day, no 14 day wait.

I haven't seen any "Evil Black Rifles" for sale anywhere in CT. in the last two weeks. Anybody in CT see any?
Old January 5, 2013, 05:11 PM   #10
Vireye

Greyson's Guns and Bob's Gun Division have a few in stock.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:10 PM   #11
Niantician

Notice how they enacted this policy AFTER they sold all the rifles they had in stock?
Old January 7, 2013, 09:43 PM   #12
Daugherty16

I don't live it CT anymore, but i always preferred Newington Gun Exchange to Hoffmans anyway. Smaller, but somehow they cram about the same number of guns into their space and just a little ways around the corner.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:57 AM   #13
Conn. Trooper

I also use Newington Gun Exchange almost 100%. I am however cheap, and like checking out new/old stuff. So, I do frequent the used cases of pretty much al the shops in the area. Otherwise, I will take Larry, Lars, Jeff and Tommy at NGX any day of the week.

Has anybody in the area been to Riverview lately? I heard a rumor they got their FFL suspended, anyone know?
Old January 8, 2013, 11:11 AM   #14
JimDandy

Yeah, it doesn't negate a NICS check, just makes them much much faster.

Out here in WA, I can give them my CPL, and that tells them exactly who I am among the many "John Smith"s of the world,

as well as gives them a smaller sample size (Date range) to check from, as I basically went through the check when i got my CPL.

That's how you get to walk out the door with the thing in WA, we have an Up To date range, not a mandatory one however... It's entirely possible that (Just to pick someone absolutely unique and famous) Barack Obama could move to WA State to be legal, then purchase a handgun, go through his check in the time he's in the store as his name isn't common, and his background has been thouroughly checked fairly recently.... At least that's how I understand the process out here.