The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 19, 2012, 05:56 PM   #1
iraiam

Factory UMC ammo quality issues

Occasionally I do buy factory ammo.

It's a little concerning when you run into stuff like this though, I did not catch this before I fired it, but it sounded different and saw some flame when it was fired.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 19, 2012, 07:40 PM   #2
arch308

Pobody's nerfect. I've shot thousands of rounds of UMC ammo and never expierenced one failure. But stuff happens and you were just the unlucky one to get that one.
Glad no damage was done.
Old October 19, 2012, 07:53 PM   #3
drail

Over the years I have seen so many defective UMC cartridges I won't buy it or reload it. Their brass is some of the thinnest I have ever seen. Compared to Federal, Winchester or Starline it's pretty crummy stuff.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:37 PM   #4
deadcoyote

We use UMC for our practice ammo at the agency I work for. In the last batch of 7500 we had 4 backwards primers and two rounds that wouldn't fire at all. I know it doesn't seem that bad, 6 junk rounds out of 7500, but it's a lot higher than normal. We usually buy in lots of 10k and might have one dud in the bunch.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

I shoot a lot of UMC and have never had a bad round. Glad no damage was done with yours.
Old October 22, 2012, 11:27 PM   #6
chiefr

Not sure what type of gun that round was fired thru but it looks like a premature ejection & the slide did the damage. Granted that could have been caused by the ammo.
Old October 23, 2012, 03:17 AM   #7
iraiam

Quote:
Not sure what type of gun that round was fired thru but it looks like a premature ejection & the slide did the damage. Granted that could have been caused by the ammo.
Fired in a Glock 21, I found a couple other damaged cases when I inspected the rest of the unfired ammo, it appears the cases were damaged when the bullet was seated. They were not as bad as this one but there was a slight wrinkle in the brass, which is also visible in the pictured spent round. I went ahead and fired them without trouble but it did not duplicate the case in the picture.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; October 23, 2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old October 23, 2012, 06:58 PM   #8
chiefr

OK I Understand. If the ammo had the problem before firing, it was definately a QC problem with Remington.