The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 24, 2011, 11:06 PM   #1
capflyboy05

Acceptable secondary ID for Virginia??

I am only 18, and dont pay taxes, I dont have a passport or hunting or fishing licence.... I do have a paystub with my address on it, and I also have a bank statement that just came a couple days ago.... should this work alright?
They both have my address on them. And my primary ID is my state drivers licence which I've had for over 30 days. I should be good right?
Old May 25, 2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Good for ___?
Old May 25, 2011, 06:32 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Given your age, I'm assuming you mean to purchase a rifle.

Your primary ID is always your state issued picture ID.

The secondary ID (unless they've changed it lately) can include a utility bill that shows the same address as your picture ID, I THINK you can use a bank statement as well, and I know that a Voter's Registration Card is also gold.

From Virginia law on firearms purchase requirements:

"To establish personal identification and residence in Virginia for purposes of this section, a dealer must require any prospective purchaser to present one photo-identification form issued by a governmental agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense, and other documentation of residence. Except where the photo-identification was issued by the United States Department of Defense, the other documentation of residence shall show an address identical to that shown on the photo-identification form, such as evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax, or a current (a) lease, (b) utility or telephone bill, (c) voter registration card, (d) bank check, (e) passport, (f) automobile registration, or (g) hunting or fishing license; other current identification allowed as evidence of residency by Part 178.124 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations and ATF Ruling 2001-5; or other documentation of residence determined to be acceptable by the Department of Criminal Justice Services, that corroborates that the prospective purchaser currently resides in Virginia."

I believe that, if you're buying an "assault rifle," you need to also prove citizenship...

OK, from the Virginia law on assault weapons (yes, I know, they're not assault weapons)

"In addition, no dealer shall sell, rent, trade or transfer from his inventory any assault firearm to any person who is not a citizen of the United States or who is not a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence. To establish citizenship or lawful admission for a permanent residence for purposes of purchasing an assault firearm, a dealer shall require a prospective purchaser to present a certified birth certificate or a certificate of birth abroad issued by the United States State Department, a certificate of citizenship or a certificate of naturalization issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, an unexpired U.S. passport, a United States citizen identification card, a current voter registration card, a current selective service registration card, or an immigrant visa or other documentation of status as a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services."

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 25, 2011, 01:33 PM   #4
brickeyee

The complete rules are on the Virginia State Police web site.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm
Old May 25, 2011, 09:22 PM   #5
highvel

I don't remember the citizenship thing the last time I bought an "Assault Rifle", oh wait, it may have been a Assault Pistol

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old May 26, 2011, 06:21 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

No, it was an INsult pistol, you knucklehead!

Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:09 AM   #7
rburch

I always just used my car registration and driver's license.

Well until I got my CCW that is.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:25 AM   #8
Navy joe

Yep, always used car registration until I got my CCW.