The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 4, 2005, 08:58 PM   #1
Eightball

Assistance for a newbie?

Greetings to all. Recently, I acquired a Remington 1858 .36 cal BP revolver. I currently have nothing for it (but will probably remedy that with a Cabela's starting kit and some .36 wads sometime shortly). Other than that, I know basically nothing about how to load it (ordering of wads/other things), what grade powder to use, what order to clean it in (or what with), etc--the basics (other than firearm safety rules--I'm not totally ignorant of things). So, I thought the friendly people here at TFL could help me out .

And, are there any belts/holsters that would work with this, since there is such a distinctively tall front sight? Thanks for any/all replies.
M1 Carbine, Inland '43
Old September 6, 2005, 09:39 PM   #2
Eightball

Someone? Anyone?
M1 Carbine, Inland '43
Old September 6, 2005, 09:44 PM   #3
QuickTrig

Ooo that sounds like a fun gun, I've always wanted to get a lower caliber black powder pistol or rifle (under .50) to shoot. I cant find anything other then .50 caliber rifles and .44 caliber pistols. Sorry I cant answer your questions but sounds like a nice gun.
Old September 6, 2005, 11:06 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sorry about the delayed response.

Click here for the answer to your question (and then some).
It's from our sister site and it's safe (no bad cookies to ruin your meal or your computer). I moderate over there too.
Old September 7, 2005, 06:25 PM   #5
Ozzieman

I will try to help some

First instead of wads start with plane balls and grease. Spitball is one of the better name brands that I use. But even if you use wads on a ball and cap revolver use some kind of grease on the front of the ball after you load it. This will insure that you dont have a multi fire (two rounds go off at the same time) I have experanced it once and you dont want to.

As for cleaning, I dont shoot remengtions I shoot colts reps, and I remove the cylinder and barrel and wash in soapy water, it works best, very hot water so that it drys quickly then a good coat of oil.
I dont shoot 36 I shoot 44 and shoot 30 GR of double f. Make a nice bang and has good power. A guess would be some where in the 20's would be a nice load for your gun but I would ask some one that shoots a 36.
Run one cap on each nipple with an empty chamber befor loading with powder. This makes sure that the nipple is clear and will insure a good flame reaches the powder when you finaly load it.
Old September 7, 2005, 07:03 PM   #6
Low Key

Holster

Cabela's should have a holster in stock that will fit your pistol. They don't have a big selection or a lot of fancy stuff, but some good basic holsters to get you started. Their website is http://www.cabelas.com/