The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 27, 2012, 02:44 PM   #1
cajun47

is the .380acp in lcp good enough in your opinion?

good enough for a main ccw? if so what sd ammo you carry in it?
Old November 27, 2012, 02:54 PM   #2
towboat-er

Good enough, as long as the user is proficient with it. And knows its limitations.
Much better than a sharp stick.
Old November 27, 2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

Careful..some people think anything lower than something starting with a "4" will bounce off. lol
Old November 27, 2012, 03:07 PM   #4
noelf2

I carry a Keltec P380 (just about the same thing) as an every day carry. I use hornady critical defense ammo, 1 in the tube and six in the mag. I have higher power and more expensive guns, but the keltec shoots well, is plenty accurate (a also have a crimson trace laser on it), is light as a feather, and is just more convenient.
Old November 27, 2012, 03:10 PM   #5
CWKahrFan

.380 is one of the most reliable thread-subject calibers... Here's a couple recent ones:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ght=380+enough

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...&highlight=380
Old November 27, 2012, 03:16 PM   #6
PeterGreg

There is no such thing as good enough when it comes to a SD gun, either you believe in your choice of caliber or not. I choose the .380acp as a carry gun.
Old November 27, 2012, 03:16 PM   #7
TunnelRat

My issue with the 380 isn't its performance. I think its good enough. My issue is I can find 9mm ammo for practice easier and often cheaper than 380. Couple that with many options in 9mm just as small as ones in 380 and I don't personally own one.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 27, 2012, 03:22 PM   #8
PeterGreg

Quote:
Couple that with many options in 9mm just as small as ones in 380
what 9mm is the same size weight of an LCP or seecamp LWS380?
Old November 27, 2012, 03:25 PM   #9
leadchucker

If it's what you got, it's good enough. (or it better be.)
Old November 27, 2012, 05:15 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
what 9mm is the same size weight of an LCP or seecamp LWS380?
The LC9 is not very much larger or heavier than the LCP, IMO.
Old November 27, 2012, 05:19 PM   #11
kinoons

There are not any .380 hollowpoints rounds that can reliably and consistently penetrate 12" of gel, as required in FBI protocols. While not the end all be all in testing, in my opinion it sets a good standard.

Get a .38 spl +p or a 9mm. They are not much bigger at all and offer better performance.
Old November 27, 2012, 05:21 PM   #12
Charlie Fox

As stated above, as long as you understand the limitations of both the round and delivery system and practice enough to become proficient, the .380 will do what it does. I carry a P32 in 7.65mm (.32 ACP); I am under no illusion that it will make my target burst into flames or dematerialize, but I practice with it, understand its weaknesses and strengths and I am confident I could defend myself well with it. Also, these guns allow one to always maintain Rule #1 of gunfighting - have a gun.
Old November 27, 2012, 05:30 PM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:
Also, these guns allow one to always maintain Rule #1 of gunfighting - have a gun.
To me this is up to the person. I've never understood the idea that I need to have a subcompact or pocket gun or I just won't carry. I carry a 7" long, 5" tall pistol every day, even in the summer. It's never been such an inconvenience that I am willing to trade what it offers me. But I understand that I'm not everyone.
Old November 27, 2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

It's a fine gun and the .380 is a capable gun. Both has some limitations but if you practice with it, I have no issues recommending it as a carry gun.

Personally, I stoke mine with FMJ rather than hollow point ammo because I think penetration is more important with the particular round.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:22 PM   #15
Luger_carbine

Quote:
what 9mm is the same size weight of an LCP
I don't think there is a production nine that is only 3.6" tall, only 5.16" overall length and weighs just under 9.5 onces, and that's what the base LCP comes in at.

The closest in weight in the DB9 at 11 onces, but it's longer than the LCP - about half an inch higher and a half inch longer.

Probably the closest in size is the Rohrbaugh R9, still a little bit bigger and 3.5 onces heavier.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:29 PM   #16
Dashunde

I'm real happy with mine.
Its no G26/27, PM9 or PPS, but I find it to be a good balance of carryability, capability and shootability.
I like it fine and carry it more often than not.
It eats Speer Gold Dots without complaint.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:42 PM   #17
mitranoc

I like mine, especially when I have to conceal in scrubs. Once I got used to the long trigger pull...I became very accurate with it. I keep Magsafe ammo in mine for SD. I typically practice with PMC at my local range, and have never had any issues.

http://magsafeonline.com/magnum_performance.html

Last edited by mitranoc; November 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old November 27, 2012, 11:00 PM   #18
Chris9472

Racking the slide on the LCP was very difficult for me. I don't feel confident I could reload it under stress with sweaty hands, etc. The manual slide lock was also a pain (literally) to use. I somehow gashed my palm open between the slide and chamber one day while fumbling with it at the range!

The Hornady CD's, Speer Gold Dots and PMC Bronze ammo I fired with it all performed flawlessly, but a box of 95gr Federal FMJ I tried once jammed on nearly every 7 rounds fired. Plus, they kicked so hard the little gun almost flew out of my hand. So be careful what you feed it.

All this led me to make the decision that this was not the CCW gun for me, so I sold it and bought a Ruger 10/22 on sale with the money instead.

Anybody looking to buy a barely used extra LCP mag and DeSantis Pocket holster with original packaging?
Old November 27, 2012, 11:06 PM   #19
Nanuk

I am with tunnel rat, my carry guns are a Glock and a 640 PRO.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 27, 2012, 11:11 PM   #20
ScotchMan

The .380 cartridge isn't the issue. The LCP might be.

If you shoot it as well as something larger (doubtful), or you can't conceal something larger, then go for it. I suspect if you are bigger than a Boston Terrier you can probably conceal something larger.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 27, 2012, 11:37 PM   #21
mitranoc

Quote:
Racking the slide on the LCP was very difficult for me.
This I have heard others say as well. I find that when I "slingshot" the slide back...it has never presented a problem. Of course it never has been in a SHTF situation.
Old November 28, 2012, 12:06 AM   #22
Mosin44az

LCP is my main carry these days, in the front pocket in a holster that looks like a wallet. Magtech 77 gr. SCHP and Aguila 90(?) gr. JHP have been tested and proven for 100s of rounds at this point, and they are generally available either at Cabela's or the gunshow.

Alternative for bigger pocket is an LCR .357.

I obviously consider the LCP adequate. Few of us live in war zones, and it's so easy to carry I never forget it.

Reliability is one major factor in favor of the LCP. For a pocket pistol, it is excellent, maybe 6 or 7 malfs in nearly 2000 rounds. I cannot think of another true pocket pistol in .380 or higher I could trust like the LCP.
Old November 28, 2012, 01:50 AM   #23
weblance

Quote:
The LC9 is not very much larger or heavier than the LCP, IMO.
Try lugging an LC9 around in your pocket. They arent even close. The LC9 is compact, but is heavy. I enjoy shooting my LC9 but it sure isnt a pocket pistol like the LCP. With good SD ammo, the LCP will get the job done, but shot placement is critical. The LCP isnt an easy pistol to shoot accurately under stress. Its a close-in gun, 7 yards. Concealed Carry guns are a compromise. You trade weight, performance, and capacity, for comfort and concealability. Are you willing to do that? If my LC9 was as light as my LCP, I would never leave home without it. I can deal with the size, but not the weight. I only pocket carry, so its an LCP, or a J Frame .38 in the right pocket, and a Keltec P32 in the left. I wish there was an 8 shot 9mm that was the weight of the LCP. That would be a real treat. Yes, IMO, the LCP is good enough.
Old November 28, 2012, 02:25 AM   #24
9mm

Quote:
The LC9 is compact, but is heavy
Do you wear a belt?............ Light as a feather.. I don't feel my S&W j frame..

My Glocks top over 40oz's and then magazines. I did black friday, 30+ hours, ankle holster and hip holster. No problems.

No I do not think 380's are good for carry, step up to a 9mm IMO, I sold my 380s. But if thats all you got, then buy the best HP, 380 ammo they make.
Old November 28, 2012, 08:28 AM   #25
Dashunde

Even though I use a nice 1/4" thick bullhide belt its never been about the belt quality, but more about how tight I have to wear it with a heavier gun.
The LCP doesn’t require me to cinch down my belt at all, its just light enough to stay put, comfortably.