The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 19, 2010, 01:33 AM   #1
bamaranger

awful season now over...success

Hey I got one!

You guys know I like guns, but I love to bowhunt deer. Here's a story.

We had some true winter weather push through the area temps in the 20's (cold for us) snow flurries, then warming trends that yielded some sleet and freezing rain. Work finally did not conflict with weather changes and winds and I got to hunt some of the "new" trees I'd scouted about 10 days ago.

On Weds AM I was in a new tree by 0630. Temps were in the 30's and there was sleet and some freezing rain, but not really heavy precip. I was dressed for it in all wool. Saw my first deer at 0830, a doe picking up the creek bottom and back to bedding cover (pine plantation) , but no shot. At 0910 a pair of bucks left the same cover and moved out into the sage clearing in front of me, feeding on sawbriar.

The first was a big spike, and following was a small basket racked 6pt. The spike got right beneath me and alerted and I feared the worst. The 6pt angled off and came into the open on my right. There were some tense moments as the spike stiff legged and snuck around, but things settled.

I drew and shot on the 6pt at the first chance, and clearly saw the arrow hit the pocket and pass through behind the foreleg. He bolted about 10 yds to immediately in front of my tree, not 4-5 yds off and stopped. Looked around, did a sort of sideways crab step thing and collapsed. Right there. Buck lasted about 3 seconds after the hit. Whole episode from first sighting to shot, took about 30 seconds, likely less.

I was thrilled, and it was the end of a long dry spell. I'd likely made 30 some hunts since the opener in mid October. Been up a bunch of trees. Very few deer sighted, November was near a total bust. Two misses, one early in Oct and another early Dec. I was beginning to wonder about a bow kill for this season.

Twelve yard shot, zero tracking, 6 pt, about a typical 125 lb south east whitetail, likely 2-1/2 yrs old.

Tackle: Matthews FX 62 lb draw, Fletch Hunter Concho release, Dicks Monster B (vapor trail) arrows, 28" w/ full size vanes, and a vintage Bear Razorhead.

And an original vintage Summit tree stand that's been up a zillion trees.

You guys having a tough season, hang in there. Keep hunting, it can all change fast. Like in 30 seconds.
Old December 19, 2010, 07:48 AM   #2
hooligan1

Right on man! way to hang in there!!
Old December 19, 2010, 08:27 AM   #3
DiscoRacing

Congrats.... I got my first buck with a bow earlier this year... Mathews conquest 2... Though I just got a Parker I may use next year.
Old December 20, 2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Legionnaire

"Endeavor to persevere." Glad to hear it paid off! Good on ya!