The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2007, 09:22 AM   #1
George1965

Shotgun care.

i have a older Model 31 Remington pump. I can see this gun still has some heavy old black looking grease in the top of the action should i get this out of the gun and if so what should i put back in it. Is oil ok and no grease or should i grease it again..
Old December 26, 2007, 09:15 PM   #2
George1965

I guess no one knows. well i will just ask on one of the other forums i am sure i can get a answer there. 38 ppl have looked at the post and not one post. HUMMM
Old December 26, 2007, 11:41 PM   #3
madcratebuilder

I like grease for my pump shotguns, Tetra or usgi, some guys like a quality wheelbearing grease. Your choice.
Old December 29, 2007, 08:17 AM   #4
George1965

So I need to take the gun apart and grease all the moving parts. I have seen some old looking grease up in the top but the slides don't have any on them at all.
Old December 29, 2007, 09:38 AM   #5
ronto

I wouldn't use grease. Just give it a good cleaning and oil it with a quality gun oil.
Old December 29, 2007, 11:30 AM   #6
classic095

gun

Remove all the old grease as it could contain some corrosive powder residue. I use GUN SLICK grease on all my shotguns internal parts. not globs but enough to keep the actions working smoothly..
Old January 2, 2008, 08:24 PM   #7
BigJimP

Take the gun apart - strip it down completely - take the trigger group as a unit (don't take that down 100% ) - but everything else needs to come out / and clean all that grease off.

"Lightly lube it" - maybe with a little spray oil - like Rig Oil or Rem Oil - but just lightly. If you don't have any spray oil - I'd use Break Free - and just wipe off the excess.

There should not be any grease left in a pump shotgun / the only grease I would recommend on a pump is under the nut to secure the barrel to the receiver ( lube the threads with a light coat of grease ).

In my opinion, a pump gun, like all shotguns, should be cleaned and lubed after every use - that grease build up means it hasn't been cleaned in a long while ........and it will last longer and perform more fluidly if it is cleaned and lubed properly.