The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 1, 2011, 06:32 PM   #1
tahunua001

Mossberg 500 VS Remington 870

ok I want to start shooting a shotgun but I dont wanna go out and blow 2 grand on a beneli. so between these 2 which would be a bigger bang for my buck?
also how dumb would I be to put a thumbhole stock set on a 12 gauge?
Old August 1, 2011, 08:25 PM   #2
jmr40

You are going to find about a 50/50 response from guys unless this one gets locked quickly. I like the 870 much better than the 500's I've owned and shot. The other half of the guys here will tell you the opposite and some will be quite vocal in their opinions.

I think it comes down to which features are most important to you. Most of the supposed advantages of the 500 are meaningless to me.
Old August 1, 2011, 08:39 PM   #3
*NOVA*

+1 what he said. I've read enough threads on this subject to say you would be OK with either one. I personally own the Mossy 500, with a recoil suppressing stock and Surefire light mounted on the forearm.
Old August 1, 2011, 08:45 PM   #4
oneounceload

Guess it would depend on what you intend to use it for - if your intent is to use it like a rifle for deer or turkey, one style grip will work decently. However, tat grip will totally suck for clays or birds on the wing
Old August 1, 2011, 09:15 PM   #5
SteelChickenShooter

500 vs. 870

This is easy to answer. I have them both and think it is easier to cycle or operate the Mossberg. I never cared for that shallow sort of flimsy thin something or other you need to push on the 870 to operate the slide action.
Go to a gun shop and cycle both actions and operate the safety. Try it with gloves to simulate cold weather and you'll see what I mean.
My Mossbergs are well suited for HD but never had one worth a hoot for deer. Despite the dislikes of the 870's, they do a much better job if used for hunting. True I hate that stupid release catch, especially with gloves on, but once that shell is loaded, the 870 is good to go for a nice sitdown under the oak tree or in the pines for deer.
Old August 1, 2011, 09:24 PM   #6
tahunua001

I dont want one for deer. I have many many rifles suited for that task. I do want to have one just in case I get antsy in the spring and want to go to a quick turkey hunt or something(no spring deer season). I also wouldn't mind getting into skeet shooting or quail hunting
Old August 1, 2011, 09:29 PM   #7
Broony

Im picking up a Remington 870 express this week. Its in shipping right now and hopefully it will be here tomorrow. Its my first ever gun and i'm really excited. I looked around and wanted to support American gun stores and not by something made in China. I think i made a good choice. I looked at both the Mossberg 500 and 590 and the first time i checked them out at the gun store i liked them way more than the 870. Later i went back and the 870 to me just felt more solid. I haven't heard anything bad about the 500 but the 870 just felt right the second time i went in. Plus i do like where the safety is on the 870 even though the 500 is a little more convenient as i've heard some say.
Old August 1, 2011, 09:34 PM   #8
idek

Since you mention skeet or quail, a thumbhole stock wouldn't be a good choice.

I'd guess that maybe 7 out of 10 people would choose an 870 over a 500. I personally use a mossberg. A few differences are that the 500 has a tang safety while the 870 has a trigger guard safety. Someone else already mentioned the 870 having a shell-lifter where you load the magazine and the 500 does not. The 870 has 5-shot capacity. The 500 has 6-shot capacity. I think the 870 has a steel receiver and the 500 has aluminum. This along with the different length magazine tubes makes for different weight distribution between the two, and I've heard people say the 870 handles better. For me personally, I don't notice one handling better than the other.
Old August 1, 2011, 09:36 PM   #9
SteelChickenShooter

Mind is a Blank

I fail to process "skeet" with "Mossberg 500" and /or "Remington 870".
Quail or skeet shooting brings a different brand to mind: Browning O/U.
Old August 1, 2011, 09:51 PM   #10
idek

Quote:
It's a matter of how serious someone wants to be about something. A pump may not be ideal for skeet, but it's certainly doable, and would serve well enough for someone just wanting to have fun. I wouldn't think an O/U would be significantly better for quail. And it's a pretty big jump in cost to go from 870/500 to Browning O/U.
Old August 1, 2011, 10:09 PM   #11
chasep255

Depends on what you are looking to do. I would prefer the 870 for shooting clays. I would take the Mossberg for tactical purposes. I used to have a Mossberg 535 (same 500 action but with 3 1/2'' chamber). Used it to shoot skeet and was disappointed. I don't currently have an 870 but I have rented one at the range where they claim that over a million shots has been fired through it. You won't see that with a Mossberg. The 870 also can make a good tactical gun which is what most police departments issue. I still would go with Mossberg and more specifically the 590 for a tactical roll. I don't know much about hunting but I think either will be fine for this purpose. Bottom line is that the 870 makes a better all purpose gun in my opinion. Also just as an FYI Benelli also makes a pump for under $600.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=244617738
Old August 1, 2011, 10:18 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
You won't see that with a Mossberg.
How come?

First "real gun" I fired then later owned was my dad's first shotgun. A Mossberg .410 bolt gun. Tang safety is enough reason for me to prefer them.

The fact that I can strip it further than the 870's is a bonus for strip and clean.

My 500 ain't babied by no means and shows little to no wear and tear internally so she has untold thousands more rounds to put down range before I expect a breakdown would show up.

Brent
Old August 1, 2011, 11:13 PM   #13
zippy13

M-500 v. R-870
Wow! It's déjà vu all-over, again.
Old August 2, 2011, 01:30 AM   #14
kozak6

Doesn't really matter. Ford vs Chevy.

Handle them both and see what you think. Make sure you try the controls and see how the guns fit you. For example, I personally dislike tang safeties, but maybe you are left handed or are crazy about them.

A thumbhole stock is kind of silly for shooting aerial targets, but would be fine for shooting slugs or maybe as a turkey gun. It's not unusual for slug guns to come from the factory with thumbhole stocks.
Old August 2, 2011, 02:20 AM   #15
TheKlawMan

If you mean by shooting skeet the game of skeet I wouldn't want to use a either or any pump due to the need to shoot double targets; something I am not good enough to do with a pump. Then again, I suck at trap. It takes a semi-automatic (an autoloader) an over/under or side by side double barrel.

If you want to shoot trap, a different game in which clay targets are shot, a pump works pretty well. In general either a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 are like Ford and Chevy. Each has some points that one person wants while another prefers the other.

It all depends on what you want. I got the 870, but the Mossberg was very tempting. If I was starting all over I might get neither and look for a used Remington 1100 threaded so that you can switch chokes.
Old August 2, 2011, 02:52 AM   #16
Dr. Strangelove

I have an 500 and my brother has an 870 express. My 500 has a tang safety, which I prefer over the cross-bolt safety of the 870. I like the "parkerized" (not really parkerized, but it's not blued) finish on his 870 better than the blued finish on my 500. Other than that, they are essentially the same gun in my eyes, for all practical purposes. Neither have given us any problems, both are 20+ years old. We both shoot skeet with them.

Can't go wrong with either, unless you just like one brand better than the other, buy the one you get the best deal on.
Old August 2, 2011, 08:42 AM   #17
chasep255

Quote:
If you mean by shooting skeet the game of skeet I wouldn't want to use a either or any pump due to the need to shoot double targets
I once got a 24/25 shooting skeet with a Mossberg and I don't think it is the double which I missed. I have absolutely no problem shooting doubles with a pump and the added pump makes it more fun anyway. Some experienced pump shooters don't like semi-autos because they claim they can pump faster than a semi can cycle and waiting for it to finish cycling annoys them.
Old August 2, 2011, 09:22 AM   #18
oneounceload

While a pump is certainly capable of performing for casual skeet shooting or quail hunting, get the regular stock, NOT the thumbhole, or something that looks right on a M-4 and you'll be just fine
Old August 2, 2011, 10:01 AM   #19
jmr40

Quote:
If I was starting all over I might get neither and look for a used Remington 1100 threaded so that you can switch chokes.
I don't understand this. The 870's and 500's both come standard with threaded barrels and interchangeable tubes on their hunting barrels. They have been making the 870 that way just as long as the 1100. Unless I'm mistaken Mossberg made them this way several years before Remington started. And Remington has been doing it for over 20 years.
Old August 2, 2011, 10:03 AM   #20
tahunua001

Quote:
by "shooting skeet" I mean just back yard clay pigeon shooting, I have an old browning O/U but it's more of a family heirloom at this point(it belonged to my dad). every once in a while one of my brothers takes it out and puts 3 or 4 shells through it but it usually bother me for some unknown reason. I dont normally get wrapped up into sentimentality but I just cant bring myself to shoot that pretty ole browning.
Old August 2, 2011, 10:21 AM   #21
tynimiller

Those who say one is better than the other is picking hairs off the same animal. It's all preference, neither is really "better" but you may like one better than the other...personal choice based on usage, comfortability and personal preference.
Old August 2, 2011, 10:44 AM   #22
Spats McGee
Staff

Both are perfectly serviceable shotguns. I prefer the 870, but suggest that you go handle a few. Better yet, get thee out to a range, and politely ask the guys out there what they're shooting. That may well get you the chance to actually shoot a couple.

I'd also suggest watching the classified ads for them. Since you say that you want to "get into" shotguns, you'll need to be careful, and educate yourself as to what to look for, but both are models that I would feel comfortable buying used. A good used price means more $ for shells!
Old August 2, 2011, 10:46 AM   #23
chadstrickland

Wow never seen this thread before jkjk anyways I like both of them and never had a problem operating either of them
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old August 2, 2011, 11:27 AM   #24
oneounceload

Quote:
I have an old browning O/U but it's more of a family heirloom at this point(it belonged to my dad). every once in a while one of my brothers takes it out and puts 3 or 4 shells through it but it usually bother me for some unknown reason. I dont normally get wrapped up into sentimentality but I just cant bring myself to shoot that pretty ole browning
THAT'S what you should be shooting - much nicer gun, well made and will last a long time with reasonable care
Old August 2, 2011, 11:50 AM   #25
The Janitor

Mossberg