The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 10, 2010, 01:36 PM   #1
csrob

Crimson Trace Laser Grips

Anyone use them? If so, on what gun, for what purpose, and how do you like them?
Old April 10, 2010, 02:35 PM   #2
WC145

I use them on a S&W j-frame snubby that I carry as a backup when on duty. I love them, they allow me to put rounds on target accurately from any position as long as I can see and pull the trigger.
Old April 10, 2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Daryl

On a J-frame here, too. They work great for low light shooting conditions.

Daryl
Old April 10, 2010, 07:46 PM   #4
jaydubya

I have them on three handguns (S&W 637 Airweight, 686+ and Browning Hi-Power), so you may call me sold on them. I shoot the 686+ and Hi-Power on a weekly basis at my range, fifty rounds each. I just love to see a black hole appear in the target where a red dot used to be! I usually shoot five - ten rounds with iron sights, just to prove to myself I am still, at seventy-nine, a good shot with them. But since I cannot even SEE the iron sights without my glasses on, I concentrate on what I need a handgun for: SD/HD.

I would not recommend red laser sights for bowling pin busting at fifty yards in the noonday sun. For that, iron sights still shine.

Cordially, Jack
Old April 10, 2010, 08:19 PM   #5
lambertsteeth

I've got them on my Colt Defender, and a Ruger lcp. I like them alot.
The lcp really has no sight to speak of, so in my mind the ct is a no brainer on that gun.
As far a laser sights go, I know of no other that I would buy. I do nothing other than draw the gun, and my grip turns the sight on. There is no fumbling with switches.
They can be a great tool to help refine your trigger pull. The red dot does not lie. If it says you are pullling to to left, you are doing it.
Old April 10, 2010, 08:24 PM   #6
guntotin_fool

deterence in the "hood is phenomenal. From personal experience, when that red dot shows up on some dudes chest, he ceases to believe it will end well for him.
Old April 11, 2010, 12:49 AM   #7
stickhauler

I have them on an XD-9, well worth the price and they work great!
Old April 11, 2010, 01:54 AM   #8
csrob

Kahr CW9

I have the crimson trace for my Kahr CW9 on order. I have shot a Ruger LCP with CT (my father in law's primary carry gun) at the range several times, and that's what sold me on getting some for my Kahr. I will post my opinion after my first trip to the range with my CW9 with CT. Thanks for the posts guys!
Old April 11, 2010, 05:59 AM   #9
ClayInTx

I’ve yet had to use a gun in self-defense but have come close to it. SD is going to be quick and unexpected, at least for me; if not then I’ll be making tracks.

CT allows me to shoot from the hip without taking a “stance” and without hesitation to nail a sheet of typing paper at 20 feet.

I have these on an SP101 and LCR.
Old April 11, 2010, 06:19 AM   #10
shortwave

Have them on S&W 442,642 and Ruger 101. Two Smith's are used for pocket carry(not at the same time). Ruger is a housegun and sometimes car gun. CT are a very good training device especially when it comes to point shooting.
Old April 11, 2010, 12:30 PM   #11
Genepix

I have them on a S&W 65, which is a nightstand companion. Love them.
Old April 11, 2010, 02:01 PM   #12
arp

best I ever used

I have the CT on kimber couston11 and a S&W .40 you hit where the dot is. I am going to put them on a Ruger SS six and a lcp. Best money you can spend
Old April 11, 2010, 08:59 PM   #13
Dr_2_B

I put a CT on my dad's Kel-tec 380. I'm SOLD. As soon as I can put the bucks together I'm gonna put the newest version on my G27. I'm talking about the one that resembles the one for the P3AT. I'll have to change holsters to accomodate it, but it'll be worth it.
Old April 11, 2010, 09:47 PM   #14
LarryFlew

On CZ 75B and also sold on them on SD guns. Do wish they had wooden versions besides the Kimber 1911's. If they did they would be on my other guns as well.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:27 PM   #15
armoredman

I have them on my CZ P01, great asset, can even survive being dunked in a toilet...
Old April 11, 2010, 11:03 PM   #16
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
can even survive being dunked in a toilet...
I'll bet there's quite a story behind that one!

I have CTs on my Ruger LCP and my Kel-Tec PF-9. They make it easy to quickly bring the weapon on target, which is a real asset with the LCP's rudimentary sights. Zeroed parallel with the bore, they allow me to reliably get hits on 12" square target at 25 yds. That's really asking a lot of the LCP with it's stock sights!

I view them like my guns. It's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old April 11, 2010, 11:18 PM   #17
sakeneko

I have CTs on my S&W Model 60. (J-Frame .357, 3" barrel) I've never shot a gun except at a range or when practicing, but I've noticed that in low-light conditions they help my aim. In my case, the "low light" conditions are usually when dry firing for practice at home.
Old April 12, 2010, 10:26 AM   #18
LarryFlew

I have them on my CZ P01, great asset, can even survive being dunked in a toilet...

Lets hear it
Old April 12, 2010, 11:09 AM   #19
VHinch

I think they should be a requirement on J frames, and all of mine wear them. They are also quite useful as a training aid, especially when working on shooting and moving and learning to control your wobble zone.
Old April 12, 2010, 11:22 AM   #20
DogoDon

Hold the phone . . . . Please tell us how you know this?

Quote:

DD
Old April 12, 2010, 12:59 PM   #21
SaberOne

I tried them on a loaner range gun and I like em'. There on my wish list as I type, but they're expensive littles devils'...
Old April 12, 2010, 01:07 PM   #22
swinokur

have them on my G30. excellent adjunct to a SD pistol.

Putting a set on my Kimber TLE II as soon as funds permit.
Old April 12, 2010, 08:25 PM   #23
TheKernel

I have to agree with the CT on an LCP. I generally dislike lasers on a gun but i broke down and put one on my LCP because of the terrible sights..... speaking of which, i need to get some new batteries for it..
Old April 12, 2010, 11:58 PM   #24
csrob

Got 'em

I installed CT on my Kahr CW9 today. They went on fairly easy and worked great. I will be trying them out at the range soon! Thanks again for all the feedback.
Old April 13, 2010, 08:14 AM   #25
geetarman

I have them on a Smith and Wesson 5906, a SIG P220 and a P229.

I like them. They hold zero. I practice with them but I also practice with iron sights. Batteries can go dead. . .