The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 1, 2009, 04:32 PM   #1
RonC

New C&R acquisitions

Just before leaving for a month working in South Africa, I managed to add to my collection.
The first is an 1887 Martini-Henry 577/450 (a whopping big cartridge) likely issued to Canadian troops.

The 577 is necked down to 450 and are the ones to the right of the 22LR round. If you can find them, the 577/450 rounds are about $5 each.

The next is an early to mid-WWII Arisaka 99 in remarkably good condition. Most of the Chrysanthemum is present although ground down slightly. The bayonet and frog is included.

And finally, the ever present Mosin-Nagant 91/30 with hex receiver. I now have the ammo and am hot to try it out.

I've also lucked into a Swedish 96 Mauser. I haven't taken any shots of it, but they will be forthcoming.

Ron

Last edited by RonC; August 1, 2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:57 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Pardon my ignorance, but aren't all those cartridges (except the .22 LR) .577/.450?

Jim
Old August 1, 2009, 11:05 PM   #3
RonC

Yes, indeed they are. I took a quick glance when posting the photo and thought one of them was different. Apologies for the error and thanks for pointing it out. I've corrected the statement based on your comment.

My understanding is that one shot could sometimes incapacitate more than one Zulu during the Anglo-Zulu wars. I would love to have a short-lever Mark I Martini Henry used during the Zulu wars, but there probably are a thousand South African collectors looking for the same thing.

My Martini Henry is a Mark IV A/B.

Ron
Old August 1, 2009, 11:40 PM   #4
B. Lahey

These guys have a variety of short-levers for sale:

http://www.ima-usa.com/index.php/cPa...a54afb6d340f42
Old August 2, 2009, 09:48 AM   #5
RonC

Hi, B. Lahey,

Thank you for that information. The ones they have are from the vast collection found in an old, Nepalese royal residence. What a fantastic find of Martini-Henry and Snider rifles! It seems that England tried to placate the King of Nepal by promising him all sorts of British ordnance after they couldn't subdue the Gurkhas in battle. The weapon gift gave Great Britain a presence in Nepal. If only I knew that the stash of M-H and other rifles, 12 pounder cannons and other assorted weapons were there when I was working in Nepal a few years ago!
I have been hoping to get either a M-H from South Africa that may have been used in the Anglo-Zulu wars or one of the ones the Boers mistakenly purchased before the second Boer war, then put aside when the more modern Mausers were acquired. Alas, the Anglo-Zulu war M-H are exceedingly rare and I likely will never find one I can afford. However, the commercial "trade" M-H rifles sold to the Boers can be found now and again.
I guarantee, when I win the lottery, I will find an Anglo-Zulu war M-H!

Ron