The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Dakoma

Need Loads for ROSSI MODEL 720 Stainless Steel

This is a verry solid 3" Stainless Steel 5 shooter in 44 Special with adjustable sights.Will be loading 180 Hornaday XTP's or one of my favorites SIERRA's 180 grain JHC Power Jacket.Pistol powders I have are Unique,2400,H110,LILGUNS.I carry this pistol when I travel in a cross draw holster being lefthanded it works well from a sitting position.Like the Taurus 44 Snubby strong enough to stand some heavy loads.Anybody have some good loads for this pistol?
Old May 22, 2008, 02:04 PM   #2
RevolverRO

Well, I own the same make and model gun. I have loaded the 240 XTP's over 6.5 grains of Unique and chrono'd thm at about 750-800 fps. I'm not sure the XTP's will open at this velocity.

The other powders you mentioned (H110, 2400) aren't really effective in a short barreled gun. You'll use lots of powder and get a lot of muzzle flash, but your velocitys will be pretty anemic.

Unique, Universal Clays, Clays, and Titgroup will work much better in a 3" barrel.

My standard .44 special load is a 240 SWC over 6.5 gr of Universal. Hot, but not unpleasant to shoot and not abusive to the Rossi's small frame.

I have noticed much better accuracy shooting lead bullets then jacketed, FWIW.
Old May 24, 2008, 08:30 AM   #3
16gr296

Conventional Wisdom

Conventional wisdom is to only use commercial rounds for carry guns due to litigation concerns.
Old May 24, 2008, 12:09 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

but it's a 44 Special

Highest velocities will be found with the slowest powders regardless of barrel length.
Hornady states the 180g XTP-HP window is 750--1400fps.

Suggest modest power, controllability, and respect for your Rossi's long-term durability (or lack of same).

If flash signature is of serious concern recommend testing loads with Vihtavuori Oy N350.
Data is offered for that bullet.
Old May 24, 2008, 11:01 PM   #5
joneb

For my 3" S&W 696 I mostly load Nosler 200gr JHPs with 6.2-6.5gr of W231 this combo has given me the best accuracy. Unique has preformed well for me with 240gr lead SWC. Given the low pressure of the .44spl I prefer faster powders, as attempts with HS-6 and AA#7(with 200gr JHPs) left much unburned powder which with AA#7 could and will tie up the action. The Hornady .44 XTP line is sized at .430 which should help a slower powder burn more efficiently ? For the powders you have on hand I would use the Unique. But if you willing to try a new powder I'd make it W-231/HP-38
Old May 27, 2008, 12:33 AM   #6
Dakoma

Thanks Fellow Shooters

Thanks I got the idea.
Old May 28, 2008, 10:12 PM   #7
tulsamal

I have two of those. One with adjustable sights and one with fixed. They are heavy little bricks. By the time I got my CCW, I had purchased a S&W Airweight M296 .44 Special. When I considered the weight difference, it was no contest.

As far as carry loads in .44 Special, I've used two different ones. I started out with the CorBon 165 grain JHP load. That load is quite hot. It did work fine in my 296 and my Rossis. I worked up a practice load with a 180 grain JHP so that I wouldn't have to shoot the expensive factory loads in practice. I would have to go out to the garage to look up my specs on that one. I'll try to remember to post it tomorrow.

Then about Christmas time in 2007, I read Mr. Camp's review of the new CorBon 200 grain DPX load. (All copper Barnes bullet.) So I switched to that load and I've been very pleased so far.

I do shoot the Rossi 720 around the property on occasion. It is my killing gun. If a goat or other large animal has to be killed, I go get that gun. For that sort of use, I use the Blazer load. It uses a 200 grain Gold Dot bullet. I've gotten total skull penetration of an adult goat with that load so it works! (Both sides and everything in between.)

I like my 720's. My gunsmith liked them too since he tried to buy one of them from me! They are sort of like the S&W M696 without the high price tag! I bought my first one new back in the early 90's for $206. I bought the second one used on gunbroker for $175. Last time I looked, they were going for a lot more than that now!

Gregg
Old May 29, 2008, 09:59 AM   #8
tulsamal

I went out to the garage and looked in my notebook. When I wanted a light bullet practice load to get me reasonably close to that 165 grain CorBon load, this is what I came up with. Don't use this in some old gun that is ready to give up the ghost!

CCI 300 primers. Sierra 180 JHC bullet. And 7.0 grains of Green Dot powder.

Gregg