The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 14, 2001, 04:18 PM   #1
VictorLouis

Sentry safes at Wally World?

I've thought about the Mossberg pistol box with key-pad to securely hold a pistol at home for the wife. We don't care for the units with just a Simplex lock.

I found this Sentry safe, also with key-pad, for FAR less than the Mossy. Granted, it's the size of a TV set, but I it can hold more than just a pistol, and it's fire rated. It's also gonna be far more difficult for the average juvenile burglar(s) to lug out of my house!

Do any of you have any experience with the product? Comments on their quality, or lack thereof?
Old July 14, 2001, 09:00 PM   #2
UltimaSE

I was going to use a similar sentry safe to store my handguns as well, but from what I remember from reading the instructions they specifically say do not store handguns in their safes. When I posted as to why on this board I think someone call them and sentry said that since it is fire rated that the amount of moisture in the safe might be higher than normal, meaning it would expose the handguns to a rust loving environment. Or maybe they were just trying to keep handguns out of the picture.

Again not totally sure,
UltimaSE
Old July 14, 2001, 09:54 PM   #3
VictorLouis

Hey, that's no problem.

It's going to hold a Glock.
Old July 14, 2001, 09:58 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Seems to me that a lot of "gun" safes aren't ventilated. Keepin a bit of dessicant inside should lower the humidity. If the guns are properly lubed should be no problem.

If any holes in my reasoning, I wanna know too.

Sam
Old July 15, 2001, 02:04 AM   #5
fastforty

I got one of the smaller ones (about the size of a breadbox) a while back, and it's just great Has the 4-bit key that doubles as the bolthandle, and requires a 5 digit code to allow the key to turn. Also has an override key in case the batteries go dead or the chip malfunctions. In all, it's a well built little box, having thicker steel than a standard full sized gun safe. Wally just happened to clearance mine for $70 right when I needed it most, it retails for $150 across the street at OfficeMax.
Old July 15, 2001, 08:22 PM   #6
Whats-A-Glock?

I use one of the sentry safes for rare coins. I have to use dessicate to keep them dry and open it from time to time for air exchange. A rare coin dealer tried to warn me off the sentry safe because the lining of the safe itself has water or some fluid in it that causes it to be high humidity. That is why they said not to, and it could be a good point. Dessicate would probably make it okay but you would probably need to change it regularly.

Glock or not, blued or stainless, I wouldn't keep my guns in it. I do not love my coins as much as my guns though. Gun nut, not coin nut!
Old July 15, 2001, 09:01 PM   #7
Dan Morris

I take every thing out of my safes weekly and wipe over them. Never have had a rust problem. Rifles, shotguns or pistols.
Dan
Old July 15, 2001, 09:58 PM   #8
C.R.Sam

Just remembered sumpin. Year or so I saw a beautiful Model 57 Smith 8 3/8 in wooden presentation box. Never fired. Had been in the box for over ten years. Upside beautiful, down side horribly/deepely pitted. Seems the lube on the outside of the gun reacted with the foam in the case. Went from 100 NIB to <50 depending on which side was viewed.

Other words, caution required when long term storin.

Periodic check n wipe good insurance and fun.

Sam
Old July 15, 2001, 10:43 PM   #9
VictorLouis

If that's the only negative

anyone is aware of, I think I can live w/dessicant and weekly wipedowns. It just seems like far too good of a deal to pass up for my intended purpose.
Old July 17, 2001, 11:28 PM   #10
UK2TX

Hello VictorLouis,

If you like the Sentry Safe try going to a Sam's Club. I purchased a 2 cubic foot, electronic and key locked, fireproof Sentry safe for them for around $200.

Regards,

UK2TX