The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 17, 2012, 08:43 PM   #1
oneounceload

3/4 oz target loads

As some here know, I have been playing with lowering my target loads to 3/4oz so as to save on shot and reduce recoil to a battered shoulder in need of surgery.

I bought the pink ClayBuster 12 gauge 3/4 oz wads,. and followed the recipe of 16.6 Red Dot, their wad, Gun Club hulls, Nobel Sport 209 primers (in lieu of Rem or Win), and 3/4oz of reclaimed shot

The gun is a Beretta A400 Xplor Unico - the green receiver that shoots up to 3.5" goose loads.

The loads were chrono'd and instead of the published rates of 1250, they were actually running 1038-1068 fps and 6300 psi - almost 200 fps short

currently there are emails flying between me, Alliant and Claybuster as to why the major discrepancy

The results? When I did MY part, these loads absolutely SMOKED targets with the recoil of a 10/22

The Beretta, set up for 3.5" goose loads, handled every shot without failure and threw the empties about 4' to the right - nothing interfered with me being a LH shooter

I know Dave McC is/was using one of the A400 versions, but I can tell you this gun was flawless which really surprised me as I was expecting some issues with light loads and only having 6300 psi, but the gun gets a major THUMBS UP

I am awaiting more details from Alliant, or otherwise I will increase powder to get 1250 and I expect even better results.

I was averaging a 19-20 on the 5 stand with an IC choke, unfamiliar gun (it's the wife's), new reloads, etc.... I suspect with more practice, a LM, and set up for me, the scores will increase

All in all, for those looking for a VERY light load for target or close upland birds like dove or quail -this will work
Old July 17, 2012, 09:53 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

No Cheerio?
Old July 17, 2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Method

Thanks for posting! I just got my reloading press the other day and am looking forward to getting into reloading this winter (purchased it now when a local store was running a discount). I'm looking to reduce costs and recoil, so I'll most certainly mark this post for reference.
Old July 18, 2012, 06:41 AM   #4
oneounceload

No need for a Cheerio with these wads, Klaw - they had so little recoil, there was no adverse effect for getting on the second shot at all
Old July 18, 2012, 07:15 AM   #5
rbernie

Quote:
I bought the pink ClayBuster 12 gauge 3/4 oz wads,. and followed the recipe of 16.6 Red Dot, their wad, Gun Club hulls, Nobel Sport 209 primers (in lieu of Rem or Win), and 3/4oz of reclaimed shot
I can't recall where I found it, but my 'standard' 3/4oz recipe uses 17.5gr of Red Dot under the CB WAA12L clone in the same hull but with a Fiocchi primer. My Beretta 390 cycles them flawlessly. Now that GC offers a 3/4oz wad, I'm gonna have to try it.

I have found that velocities run lower in reloaded GC hulls than STS hulls, presumably because the STS hull crimp offers more initial resistance than the GC hull.

Oh, and FWIW - CB shows a 17gr RedDot load for the new CB0175S in a STS/GC hull. It's rated at 1300fps (which, from your experience will likely be wildly optimistic) but at least you know that you can increase your charge to 17gr without fear of anything untoward happening...

Last edited by rbernie; July 18, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old July 18, 2012, 07:54 AM   #6
oneounceload

The new ClayBustrer wad is called CB0175-12 and is pink in color
They also have a 3/4 oz wad for 20 gauge that works great
Old July 18, 2012, 11:10 AM   #7
BigJimP

I'll pass the info on to "some of the old guys" at my club....
Old July 18, 2012, 11:56 AM   #8
zippy13

1-oz, in the past you've mentioned, one reason for you using reduced loads is the price of shot. If you haven't noticed (with haz-mat fees and all), the price of powder has gone up, too. For 3/4-oz loads, I shoot a 28-ga. It's more efficient than shooting 3/4-oz in a 12-ga and uses approximately 25% less powder.
Old July 18, 2012, 01:04 PM   #9
oneounceload

True, Zippy, and at one point I had several 28 gauge guns and a reloader.......and FOUR different hulls requiring three different wads and a different powder

Now, I use one powder, one reloader, one hull, and two different wads - all in one gauge of gun

Not saying I might not meander back to 28's at some later date, but as I am shooting registered sporting clay events, a 12 IS the gun/gauge to win with, and as a shoulder gets its repair and heals, i can always load back upwards.

I still shoot 1oz for registered shoots

Zippy - buying powder through my club means no hazmat and the club sells at the smallest of profit margins to keep shooters coming back
Old July 18, 2012, 01:38 PM   #10
Slugo

interesting subject material. I'm learning allot for an old fart!!
Old July 18, 2012, 01:44 PM   #11
zippy13

Slugo, my friend, see all that you're missing by not reloading?
Old July 18, 2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The A400 here may choke on 3/4 oz loads. It took a while to make it reliable with 7/8 oz stuff, but now it eats them w/o a glitch.

I do load 3/4 oz in 12 gauge for new shooters. Oft these are for the little 12 gauge H&R single with the 12" LOP that I loan out to new, pixie sized shooters.

Here's the recipe, I think. I'm at work and can't look at my notes.

Remhull, Gun Club, STS or Nitro.

Win 209 primer.

16 gr Clays.

CB 1 oz wad, the clone to the WAA12SL.

3/4 oz of hard premium shot.

Zero wad pressure.

I don't have crimp problems with this and require no Cheerio or other filler for a good seal.

Busts targets as well as any out to 35 yards.

Even in that 5.5 lb single, recoil is minute.

In 20 gauge, I load up 3/4 oz loads using Hodgdon's data for Universal Clays.

They will not reset the triggers in my SKB O/U but work very well in an 870.
Old July 18, 2012, 02:54 PM   #13
dalecooper51

Are you getting un-burnt powder out of the ejection port or are you getting a good complete burn?
Old July 18, 2012, 06:34 PM   #14
oneounceload

I got a good complete burn,no residue like one finds when using Unique. In 20 for 3/4 oz using the new wads, I am using 15.5 of Universal Clays, which is my load for 7/8

Dave, I am surprised you can drop that load in a 1oz wad and not need some form of filler to get a good crimp. I could do it with a 7/8oz load, but not 3/4. When I used 7/8oz wads and dropped 3/4 I got decent crimps; with this new wad, the crimps come out looking like perfect factory loads
Old July 18, 2012, 06:57 PM   #15
TheKlawMan

Me BAD. I have gone back to 1-1/8 ounces until I figure out how to hit that barn door (if I ever will) and when they hit in 16 yard trap they demolish the targets; even bios. They also beat the crap out of me when I changed my mount and bascially got the heel of my pad down in the pocket and off of my collar bone, but after two weeks of working with the new mount it is nada.

Still, my plan is when my existing supply of 1-1/8 ounce wads runs out to go to ones. Perhaps 7/8 down the road but I doubt I will be shooting 3/4 in the immediate future.
Old July 18, 2012, 07:56 PM   #16
johnbt

"almost 200 fps short"

See, we are in a recession. Everything is slow.
Old July 18, 2012, 08:07 PM   #17
M4BGRINGO

I spent my first year of shotgun shooting with only the very tip of the bottom of the pad on my collar bone. That used to make other people cringe when I pulled the trigger, but it didn't bother me one bit.

I then started to put the gun down where it belongs and learned to shoot it from my shoulder. Took a few sessions to get used to it, but it works for me now. Just have to bend my neck more than I used to.

I no longer use the mid bead after shooting my friends new Beretta which came with no mid bead. Was unusual at first but now it seems natural.

We have a guy that shoots Trap with his .28 gauge, 3/4 ounce load, breaks them just fine. Doesn't smoke them, but still gets the same score!

He also shoots Sporting Clays with a .410 gauge gun. It amazes me how well he does with that little gun, makes me feel bad when I can't beat him!
Old July 19, 2012, 12:10 AM   #18
TheKlawMan

Quote:
I spent my first year of shotgun shooting with only the very tip of the bottom of the pad on my collar bone. That used to make other people cringe when I pulled the trigger, but it didn't bother me one bit.

I then started to put the gun down where it belongs and learned to shoot it from my shoulder. Took a few sessions to get used to it, but it works for me now. Just have to bend my neck more than I used to.
That is just where I am at, Gringo; learning to shoot with the pad in the pocket and leaning into the gun. The problem I have with that is then I am looking over my glasses. A solution is to get dedicated shooting glasses.
Old July 19, 2012, 05:51 AM   #19
LSnSC

If you get a chance try some Tightwad. Its a very good 3/4 and 7/8 oz 12 gauge powder. Also very economical.
Old July 19, 2012, 07:07 AM   #20
rbernie

Quote:
learning to shoot with the pad in the pocket and leaning into the gun. The problem I have with that is then I am looking over my glasses. A solution is to get dedicated shooting glasses.
My recent solution is to get a gun that fits me so that I don't have to contort to it to use it. An adjustable buttpad works wonders to adjust the drop to your personal needs...
Old July 19, 2012, 02:57 PM   #21
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

1 oz, there's some dish to the crimp but not enough to leak shot. With AAs, I need a Cheerio. Zero wad pressure, IMO, makes the difference....
Old July 20, 2012, 11:30 AM   #22
oneounceload

I do not use any wad pressure for ay load using a plastic integral wad/shot cup - it isn't necessary. Wad pressure is a holdover from the old days of felt wads and since folks still load with them and shot overcards, etc., it can be useful.

Dave - you might want to call ClayBuster - they'll send you a sample of 25 to try for no charge of any of their wads. This pink one is giving me some great crimps and performance. I am wondering if the chrono'd low speed was due to the gun bleeding off too much of what pressure/gas there was in order to make it work......but I am also going to bump the load to 17.5 - which should get me where I need to go. I will also chrono my current loads in my O/U to see if the speed stays the same
Old July 20, 2012, 02:31 PM   #23
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, I'll give them a call forthwith. I need to load up some 3/4 oz stuff for a family member's intro to clays, so this is right on time.