The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 19, 2012, 06:26 PM   #1
TAKtical

Popular holsters

I need some input from you guys about what holsters I should be making that im not right now. Im currently making holsters for all glock models, 1911's, sig 226, sig 220, j frames, k frames, all S&W M&P models, S&W 5906, M&P shield, ruger lcp, all springfield xd models, tokarev, bodyguard, and NAA 22mag. What are some popular guns that I havent listed here? Im a glock guy so I dont know much about CZ's, FN's, sigs, hk's, so it would help me out a lot if you guys could fill me in on some popular makes and models. Thanks.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old October 19, 2012, 11:09 PM   #2
BarryLee

I have no idea what the market might actually be, but I know the H&K USP line of handguns has been in production for years and is very popular. I also think there are a lot of them changing hands on the used market as Police Forces trade them for new models.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 20, 2012, 04:19 AM   #3
10-96

There seems to be a slow emergence of holsters for Sig's 239. I won't buy another Bianchi non-duty holster, and I just can't get a warm and fuzzy over the Safariland I bought for it. Do they really expect me to think they designed that holster with the pistol any where close to the drawing board?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 20, 2012, 05:26 AM   #4
Pistolgripshotty

Fobus is my personal preference.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:17 AM   #5
jmhyer

Don't own them myself, but the compact Kahr and Kel Tec pistols are very popular.
Old October 20, 2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Miketodd04

I would say the popular pocket holsters. Shield, XDS, Sig p238 and P938 just off the top of my head. Also Sig 1911's are getting popular and on the custom line, the top of the slides are a little more square.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Creeper

Hi ya' TAKtical...

The current model Steyr and Caracal handguns are becoming quite popular and there are few holster makers... those would be the guns I'd be looking at if I were a maker looking at emerging markets.

Another area of consideration is the increasing popularity of handguns that come, or are fitted with threaded barrels. Examples that are also fit with tall "suppressor sights" would be the ones, specifically I'm referring to. The Nighthawk AAC 1911 and FN .45 Tactical come to mind as production examples.
The "option" for a taller sight channel to accommodate suppressor sights would, at least for a time, set you apart.

Cheers,
C
Old October 20, 2012, 10:23 PM   #8
TAKtical

Thanks. I recently ordered a caracal. All of my holsters will accommodate suppressor sights. I figure its best to make them all that way in case someone decides to add taller sights later. Unfortunately for me and the FN fans, Rings (the blue gun manufacturer) has a very limited selection of FN's. As of right now I believe they are only offering a mold for FN Five-Seven.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old October 27, 2012, 08:51 PM   #9
hawkeye1142

I'm having a hard time finding an affordable holster for a Sig Sauer 1911 Ultra Compact.
Old October 28, 2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Yung.gunr

My brother recently got an FNP9 and asked for ideas on holsters. Looks like there is not much out there for it. But, from my understanding that model has been discontinued so maybe there won't ever be much market for it.

Sure is a nice gun though.

I agree the pocket autos seem to be quite popular now days. The Sig 938 is probably a good one you will see some demand for. I feel it's too big for the pocket so next logical place is IWB. LC9 and others in their size category too I would think.
Old October 31, 2012, 07:50 AM   #11
2000ShadowACE

There are very few holsters available for Taurus full sized autos like the OSS. I'm currently looking for two of them.
Old October 31, 2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Mrgunsngear

CZ 75 holster is probably a good idea since there are so many knock offs of the gun and most fit the same holster (for instance my EAA Witness rides in a CZ holster).