The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 1, 2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Gun Guy Greg

Any reason to get a 9mm?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and new to shooting in general. I have recently purchased a .45 RIA 1911A1 and Inherited a .22 Ruger Single Six (And a Remington model 17, that one isn't handgun related though.) from my grandfather. And I am wondering if I have my bases covered between these two? or if there is any reason to pick up a 9mm or .357 right away? Other than just because I want them?

I don't concealed carry, but I have been considering getting my permit to do so. If I do decided to go that way I've been considering the Ruger SR9C, are those any good?

Sorry, lots of questions. I grew up in a liberal house hold where there were no guns at all and I went from never even shooting a gun to owning 3 in a matter of weeks, and now I've caught a bit of the gun fever .
Old February 1, 2013, 02:47 PM   #2
cwok

cheap ammo

Until recently 9mm ammo was extremely cheap.
Now of course, the issue is 'what is available' instead of what is affordable.

Since handgun shooters 'generally' shoot a lot more rounds to develop proficiency than riflemen, cost is an important issue.

On-the-Other hand, if you can afford to buy ammo for a .45, or if you get into reloading (recommended), then I don't see any particular advantage to a small bullet hole compared to a large bullet hole.

If notthing else, you can see the holes in the target easier when shooting a .45.
Old February 1, 2013, 02:50 PM   #3
qwiksdraw

Sounds like you got the fever bad. I don't there is a cure for it either.

A 9MM is a good choice. They are fun to shoot and abit less expensive than 45 ACP. Rght now it may take longer finding ammo than finding a gun. It might be worth looking at 40 S&W gun, at least there's usually some ammo on the shelf somewhere.

Shoot often, have fun and be safe.
Old February 1, 2013, 02:53 PM   #4
BarryLee

I guess two things to consider:

1) Due to possible new legislation certain items may not be available in the future. I noticed you did not list a location, so not sure how much this impacts your decision, but I guess it could.

2) Due to the possible new legislation selection is very limited in most shops and prices are maybe a little high. Be sure to do your research before you buy to assure someone is not taking too much advantage of the situation.

The 9mm is a great round and can fit a lot of different applications from full size handgun to pocket gun. It is also very effective, usually readily available, less expensive and fun to shoot.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 1, 2013, 04:21 PM   #5
BigJimP

Are your bases covered ,,,, I don't know ....depends on where you're going in this hobby ...and what you want to do ...(carry, target practice, tactical shooting practice, local competition, ....

For me, I have handguns in ....

.22 ....(several guns - in a variety of semi-autos and revolvers )...
9mm ( Sig Sauer 226's, 239's, 1911's ...) ...
.40 S&W ( Sig Sauer 226's, 239's and a 1911 ) ...
.45 acp ( all in 1911's )...

.38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag ( 2 1/2", 4", 6" and 8 3/8" barrels..all S&W )
and a Single Action revolver - just because !
--------------------
I practice tactical shooting a lot with my 4" revolvers ..and my 1911's in 9mm....and I primarily carry a 5" 1911 in .45 acp ...

I target practice with .22's, long barrel revolvers - and the single action revolver...

Do I have all my bases covered ( with about 40 handguns ?? ) maybe ..?? maybe not ?? ....
Old February 1, 2013, 04:59 PM   #6
oldgunsmith

I'm basically a single action revolver guy, but wouldn't sell my Browning Hi Power for twice what they're bringing. Find a good 9mm that feels noticeably better in your hand than the others & go for it.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:20 PM   #7
chris in va

Greg, take half of that money you'd spend on a new gun and buy a basic reloading setup. Take the other half and buy bullets, primers and powder.

Depending how cheap/expensive you go with the press, you could recoup ammo savings within a few months. As an added bonus you will NEVER have to rely on whatever happens to be available at WalMart or be at the mercy of price gouging at a gun store.

It's quite liberating to see 500 rounds of 45acp sitting in your closet when everyone else is complaining about lack/cost of ammo due to a panic situation.
Old February 1, 2013, 06:19 PM   #8
CWKahrFan

Quote:
I've been considering the Ruger SR9C, are those any good?
Yes... and a very versatile double-stack to have.
Old February 1, 2013, 08:07 PM   #9
BillyJack3

I think everyone should have a 9mm of some sort. I have absolutely no rational response as to why or anything to base my comment on, I just do. But as others have said, it can get out of hand and keeping a good stock of ammo in each caliber can get expensive. I firearm for every application that you'll be shooting is what I like to live by. But that's what got me into the position I'm in with calibers.

.22, .223, .45, .380, 9mm, 32-20 and I'm not nearly as diverse as some.

But yes, you need a 9mm.
Old February 2, 2013, 02:09 AM   #10
SgtLumpy

IMO "Because I just want one" is about the best reason to buy anything, firearm or otherwise.

9s are a blast to shoot. Barely any recoil, hold a million rounds in the magazines, lots of different kinds of ammo, cheap ammo, they'll work just fine for a self defense gun if you wish. Kind of the best of both worlds between a 22 and a 45.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old February 2, 2013, 02:18 AM   #11
jimbob86

Quote:
On-the-Other hand, if you can afford to buy ammo for a .45, or if you get into reloading (recommended), then I don't see any particular advantage to a small bullet hole compared to a large bullet hole.

9mm is cheaper to reload than .45ACP, and signifigantly cheaper than factory ammo (and can be made better, as well, if you are up to the task!) if you buy the components in BULK quantities.

Since nearly nobody reloads 9mm, brass is laying on the ground nearly everywhere, too. The same can not be said of .45ACP.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:26 AM   #12
Carlsbad

9mm +P is a great defense round. 9mm holds more bullets and many people shoot it more accurately. Many smaller weapons available for concealed carry. Anywhere except CA you can get high capacity magazines (for now). --Jerry
Old February 2, 2013, 11:21 AM   #13
bigghoss

9mm is great. Effective, cheaper, less recoil, more rounds in the gun. With the state of modern handgun ammunition it could be the best all-around caliber for defense and concealed carry, at least for 2-legged assailants.

Quote:
If I do decided to go that way I've been considering the Ruger SR9C, are those any good?
I've never heard anyone say it's a BAD gun, but FWIW I've also never heard of a respected instructor or other industry professional give it their nod of approval either. And I think the gun is cluttered with unnecessary "safety" crap which IMHO just gives the gun more chances to fail, though I haven't heard of it happening. For my money I would get a glock or M&P over most anything on the market.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:18 PM   #14
DaleA

Quote:
Since nearly nobody reloads 9mm, brass is laying on the ground nearly everywhere, too. The same can not be said of .45ACP.
While this is true I'm not sure I appreciate you letting the cat out of the bag!
Old February 2, 2013, 01:36 PM   #15
Gun Guy Greg

Thanks for the input, guys! I think I'm gonna look into getting one and hope I can find some ammo for it. Last time I was at walmart the ammo rack just looked sad .
Old February 2, 2013, 10:35 PM   #16
Fjblair

You certainly don't need another hand gun, your bases are covered, but if you have taken the bait you are going to want the 9mm.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:18 AM   #17
billvau

I really like my SR9c. It seems to have less felt recoil than my other 9s
and is easy to conceal. And you can switch between the 10 round mags and the 19 round mags that go with the SR9 (if you can find any for sale.....).
Old February 3, 2013, 07:45 AM   #18
Old 454

check out a CZ p-07 duty, great gun

or for less cash check out a 9mm from Rock Island in a 1911 plateform, RIA has great customer service and a life time warrenty on the gun that follows the gun and not the owner!
Old February 3, 2013, 09:22 AM   #19
WIN1886

As already mentioned the cost of 9mm ammo is relatively cheap (at least it used to be ) , the round is easy to manage for most even for rapid fire , and it is offered in some excellent made pistols than can be easy to carry !
Old February 3, 2013, 09:45 AM   #20
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Quote:
While this is true I'm not sure I appreciate you letting the cat out of the bag!
Yep - there's so much 9mm brass out there that I have several thousand, and I don't even own anything chambered in 9mm right now!
Old February 3, 2013, 09:47 AM   #21
L2R

check supplies before you buy

45 guy for many years, effective and cheap.

finally went to 9s due to cost of ammo changes over the years.

I am watching to see if this changes again due to new laws (if they pass)

If they do somehow pass 7 or 10 shot mags, then I assume 40s and 45s will make a come back with newer models and popularity would sway the ammo manufacturers.

For now, I am perfectly happy with my 9s and HST ammo for defense.

Last edited by L2R; February 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:15 AM   #22
Laz

Oldgunsmith said
Quote:
I'm basically a single action revolver guy, but wouldn't sell my Browning Hi Power for twice what they're bringing. Find a good 9mm that feels noticeably better in your hand than the others & go for it.
That could have been written by me. I am also basically a .45 single action revolver guy (and .357) but had been thinking about a 9mm pistol for ammo flexibility, and perhaps a higher capacity and lower recoil as I get older. The current hysteria no doubt was a spur and I was fortunate to find a beautiful Mk III Browning Hi Power. I thought hard about a Gen 4 Glock 17 which is a fine pistol (maybe better for my purpose) but figured if I'm gonna have one it should be The One.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:30 AM   #23
Thespis

"O, reason not the need! Our basest beggars
Are in the poorest thing superfluous."
King Lear, II, iv

Thanks for the opportunity to indulge my passion for the Bard! I agree with Sgt. Lumpy and others who have encouraged you to go ahead and get that 9 mm. I started out some years ago with a Stevens 16 gauge double barrel shotgun, a single-shot Remington .22, and an early Ruger Single Six. These days, my handgun calibers include .22, .22 mag., .32, .380, 9 mm, .38 spl., .357 mag., .44 spl., and .44 mag. In 9 mm alone, I have a sweet Browning Hi Power, a S&W 3913, and a Kahr PM9. Looking back, I cannot say I ever really needed any of my guns. But I definitely wanted each one. I have enjoyed shooting each of them. And I don't believe I have spent even the briefest moment regretting the purchase of any one of them.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:40 AM   #24
EdInk

Here are some PROS:

9x19mm is the most widely used centerfire pistol ammo in the world. (Which in times like these, can be a negative if buying ammo of the shelf.)
Generally, it costs about $6 less per 50rd box than .45acp ammo.
It is a high velocity, low recoil caliber and easy for most people to control.
The smaller case size allows for higher capacity than larger calibers in magazines of the same size.

Some CONS:
Does not deliver the same stopping power as the .45 acp cartridge.
Full Metal Jacket ammo can over-penetrate target at close range.

In regards to your question about the Ruger, while I like a lot of their firearms that particular model does not really appeal to me. It is a well made pistol but I think there are other options in that size and price range that are a bit better options. The Kahr CW9 and Walther PPS come to mind.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:42 AM   #25
pete2

I can't think of a reason NOT to get a 9MM and a .357. You probably need a couple of each.