The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 20, 2013, 07:08 PM   #1
gyvel

Cracked receiver on a Mosin-Nagant

Thius is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing, but it should give all Mosin-Nagant shooters something to be aware of.

Here's a link:

http://www.armoryblog.com/firearms/r...racks-in-half/
Old October 20, 2013, 07:32 PM   #2
iraiam

Not only Mosin Nagant owners, any firearm can fail in this manner, depending on what's done to it.

The 2nd picture down shows that the receiver has been cracked for a while, notice the difference in color between the old crack and the fresh break that finished it off.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 20, 2013, 07:37 PM   #3
gyvel

Quote:
The 2nd picture down shows that the receiver has been cracked for a while, notice the difference in color between the old crack and the fresh break that finished it off.
Yes, the owner mentioned a difference in color that would indicate an impending failure. Still the first time I have heard of a catastrophic failure like this on a Mosin.

I put this thread up as a "heads up" to M-N owners, who probably should closely inspect their receivers before shooting. I certainly don't want to see anyone get hurt.
Old October 21, 2013, 01:11 PM   #4
tahunua001

and the hex receivers are supposed to be stronger than the round receivers.

with the poor QC that these rifles were turned out with and the shear numbers they were made in I suppose it would be foolish to expect one to never go... then again that's been Glock owner's response to kabooms for years.
sucks that it happened to a hex gun but at least nobody was hurt.
Old October 21, 2013, 01:59 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The crack probably began small then kept lengthening until there was not enough material left to hold the receiver together. It appears that there may have been just enough material to keep the case from bursting, a very fortunate situation.

Jim
Old October 21, 2013, 03:24 PM   #6
madmo44mag

Lucky guy for sure!!!
I still can't see how the crack could have been missed.
Judging by the coloration; one section had been cracked for some time and would have been visible to the naked eye.
I've done magnetic particle crack inspection on all types of steel and cast and seldom can one not be seen with the naked eye.
Particularity one that is a stress area that can open and close as this one would do when the gun was fired.
Old October 21, 2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Tidewater_Kid

I've never seen one crack that way. It may have had that crack when it was re-arsenaled after the war. Maybe the receiver was cracked when the barrel was replaced? I have five Mosin-Nagants and never had a problem. I would like to see some additional pictures.

TK
Old October 22, 2013, 06:33 AM   #8
jhenry

That is why folks need to give their guns a going over once in awhile. There is no way that crack was not noticeable to the owner. He is lucky the resulting catastrophic failure was not worse.
Old October 22, 2013, 06:50 AM   #9
Old Stony

Must be time to spend another $1.98 and buy another one.