The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 1999, 06:17 PM   #1
wirenut

I,ve never owned a shotgun before and I,m considering purchasing my first in the new millenium. I'm a member of a shooting club which is focused around pistol's. On occasion the members bring in their long guns and combat shotguns. I, unfortunately, own neither. When I mentioned interest in a shotgun most recommeded the Remington 870 without hesitation. My question is which shotguns do you guys and gals recommend? What action types and accessories, etc.. I would like to use it primarily for trap & skeet but would like to use it as a combat shotgun as well. Can a combat shotgun serve both purposes? Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I,m a novice. I have shot skeet before, but only once. Loved it!
Old December 22, 1999, 07:27 PM   #2
Kingcreek

Maybe one of those 870 combos, 28" vent rib and 20" slug barrel with rifle sights.
certainly wouldn't be a bad way to start out.
Old December 22, 1999, 07:45 PM   #3
Spyderman

An 870 is a great choice. I prefer the Mossberg 500/590/835 type, but mostly because thats what I've spent the most time with. For a COMBAT shotgun, I like the Mossberg 590 A1. It comes with a 9-shot tube, heavy 20" Cyl bore barrel, and all metal triger group. Unfortunately, it makes a lousy trap/skeet gun. The 500 is available in a combo that give you an 18 1/2" barrel and a 26" barrel with screw-in chokes - plus it's priced really reasonably. I know the majority of the guys here would recommend the Remington over the Mossberg, for various reasons, but it comes down to which you like to shoot better. I think the saftey and the other controls are in a much better place on the Mossberg, but to a Rem guy, they're all wrong. I've also heard a lot of great things about the Winchester, although I don't know for sure if they offer a combo barrel type package. Don't limit yourself to one brand just cause thats what someone else likes. Do the research, and play with each of them. Get what fits you best. With a pump action 12g, its hard to go wrong, as long as you stay away from the real exotic or real cheap stuff. The brands I mentioned are also the easiest to find parts/accys for, but wait until you've had a chance to get used to your new "toy" before you rush out and customize it with a bunch of stuff that may look cool in the catalogs or on TV, but be worthless in real life, or worse, cause function or reliabilty problems with your gun. So, don't limit yourself to one brand (get a mossberg ) and see what you like best. Also, decide what you want it to do MOST - trap/skeet or HD/"combat". The one that works the best for one is most likely quite poor for the other, and the one that performs equally well at both is a bad compomise at best (not counting a barrel swap or similar change). Just my thoughts.
-Spyderman
Old December 22, 1999, 07:59 PM   #4
wirenut

Spyderman, thanks for the info. Very helpful.
Old December 22, 1999, 10:22 PM   #5
elljay

There are very good points made about your shotgun choice. I came to shotgunning from a similar background as you. I was researching shotguns for home defense and looking for places to shoot and practice. My gun dealer suggested I try sporting clays. I did, loved it and have been hooked on sporting and skeet which develops my skills. Since you shot skeet, you know that the doubles are pretty tough to consistently hit them with a pump. That's why I bought a semi-auto.
The benefits of the semi-auto are low price, about half the cost of an over & under, thought not as reliable or long lasting. I think the semi-auto makes a good home defense choice as will kick off several (2-3 with the plug they put into the gun) rounds which should end most intrusions. The more popular models, Remington, Mossberg offer interchangable barrels so you can set it up with a home use short barrel, and use the preferred 28" for skeet and sporting clays. What I like most about the setup is that I get to shoot my shotgun weekly, or sometimes a couple to times each week. Most combat style shotguns may be allowed on skeet fields as they have 18" minimums, but you won't hit much wiht that configuration; (poor swing performance). Hope that's adds value to your consideration.
Old December 23, 1999, 04:39 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've used an 870 for decades,and haven't worn one out yet. Get one and your great grandchildren will thank you for it.

In a decade or so of teaching, I never saw anyone become more than slightly proficient with a conbat shotgun that didn't shoot recreationally,so you're ahead on that count.

And,short bbled shotguns do not do well as a rule on the skeet/trap/clays range, but shoot yours anyways. It'll make you quite proficient in short order.

I do surprise some folks at times with a 21" bbled 870 I built, but it's been worked over to balance the piece well between the hands and not a job for the tyro.
Old December 23, 1999, 06:19 PM   #7
frye

I would suggest the Winchester 1300 Black Shadow Deer/Duck combo. The Win1300 is a fine shotgun with a great record (though the people around here tend to prefer the equally impressive 870).

I just got one and believe that it has to be about the best shotgun for the money. Comes with a 26" in bbl for hunting and a 22" smoothbore slug bbl with rifle sites. I leave the 22" on at home for HD (great for buckshot too), and just bought a magazine extension.

If not the Win1300, get the 870.

------------------
"Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" - Patrick Henry

[This message has been edited by frye (edited December 23, 1999).]
Old December 24, 1999, 06:34 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry Frye, the 870 is not equally impressive in the record, it's 40 years ahead in the longevity dept.

That Winchester may or may not be as good, but it certainly hasn't done good for as long(G)...
Old December 24, 1999, 01:50 PM   #9
Ned Roundtree

Thought a long time before I answered. If you are getting into Trap and Skeet, then you need an good Over/Under or something like an Beretta AL390. For home defense and tactical shotgun get a Remington 870. So my answer is you need two shotguns. You will enjoy the sport more with the right tool fitted for the event. A good tactical shotgun, should have ghost ring sights, side saddle, 18" or 20" barrel, sling and plenty of practice. I prefer a pump for reliablity. A good Trap or Skeet gun is a different tool. You typically want a longer barrel. Say 26" or 28" over/under barrel. I won't say one gun won't do both. Just that once you get into either sport, you will see the more specialized tool is needed.

------------------
Courage is only fear that has said its prayers.

Old December 24, 1999, 06:25 PM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ned, what you say is true, but....

A standard pump gun is one fine HD tool, for those that like shotguns and shoot them regularly. The bells and whistles are fun, and MAY increase effectiveness slightly, but a tyro is better off spending the money on ammo and range time.

Also, if he uses his HD tool at the range, he becomes mo' proficient with it. If he switches to an O/U,welll.....

Of course, once he's had some time in, he can get the bells and whistles.and a rack full of shotguns,just like us(G)....
Old December 24, 1999, 06:38 PM   #11
K80Geoff

I cannot recall any shooter I am acquainted with who is shooting the same gun he/she started with. Clay target sports such as Trap, Skeet or Sporting are very specialized, if you shoot any one or all of the sports, you quickly learn about the various guns and what works best for each.

The recommendation to start with an 870, preferably the combo model, is a good one. As you shoot and meet other shooters, you will get to sample other guns and will eventually find what works for you. The 870 is a good "starter" gun that will remain usefull long after you have switched to a Fabbri or Holland and Holland

Geoff Ross (my$.02 as usual)

[This message has been edited by K80Geoff (edited December 24, 1999).]
Old December 24, 1999, 11:59 PM   #12
cig1ar

Benelii Nova pump,Blows away the 870 IMHO
It costs about $100 more but worth every penny...........and it's chambered for the 3 1/2 mag.

Cig1ar
Old December 25, 1999, 05:38 AM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You had to open that can of worms, didn'tya, Cig1ar(G)?

The Benelli is probably a good weapon, but we're talking comparison to the industry standard here. Unless that Benelli has been made and used for 40 years, there's no comparison of reliability and durability.

Also,the 3 1/2" shell's kind of an odd duck, you get nearly as much payload as a 10 ga, with inferior pattern and mo' kick. Most folks would be better off with a 2 3/4" or 3" load that patterns well in THEIR shotgun.

For instance, I tried out a lotta turkey loads, actually patterning and counting holes. Heaviest load ran 1 7/8 oz. BEST patterning load was a simple 1 1/4oz load of #5s in my shotgun. Extra pellets are no advantage if they're not in the pattern...
Old December 30, 1999, 11:53 AM   #14
RickC

My 870 is set up with a 20" deer barrel and extended mag and we use it for trap. But as you gain experience, you will realize it is not ideal for sporting clay.

My friend has a Browning Citori over and under and I would choose it hands down over the 870 for sporting purposes. BUT, it is NOT designed for HD use.

Someone earlier said you need 2, and I think that is where you will end up if you get serious about shooting trap and skeet.