The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 13, 2013, 04:57 PM   #26
natman

Quote:
Some of you guys need to try some hearing protection.
I was wearing plugs AND muffs when the guy in the next bench let loose with a 7mm STW with a brake. It was still amazingly loud.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:33 PM   #27
reynolds357

Shooting beside someone with a brake is unpleasant. 90% of my rifles that I actually shoot are brake guns and it has caused quite a few disagreements at the range over the years. The only rifles I shoot much without a brake are guns for classes where brakes are not allowed. I always have the .338 Lapua with me and if someone wants to complain about one of the other brake guns I switch to it.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:03 PM   #28
ff1911

I have a BAR in 300 mag with a BOSS. Started out with the brake version, but after shooting one deer with it and having noticeably more intense ringing, I switched to the CR version (Conventional Recoil). Given how much recoil the action of the gun absorbs, I don't see that you would need the recoil reduction that the brake would give; my 300 is quite manageable.

As far as the accuracy, the BOSS certainly works. As mentioned above, it does allow you to dial in a specific load for your gun. I am guessing that you aren't looking to enter bullseye matches with the gun, probably more along the lines of a "minute of a deer", so maybe you aren't concerned about tweaking to get that last bit out of a specific round. A lot of people will shoot a few different factory loads and go with what groups best.

Besides the accuracy and noise, let me say that the extra barrel length does make them a little more unwieldy in the woods. For the mag calibers, it nets 3 additional inches of barrel length; I can't remember if it was the same for the standard calibers, or if they were a +5".

Last edited by ff1911; January 13, 2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:31 AM   #29
saltydog452

Got it. Thanks all.

salty
Old January 14, 2013, 09:34 PM   #30
Cowboy_mo

It may be louder to someone standing off to the side..but who cares?

Keg, if I'm the poor slep next to you on the range........... I CARE.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:54 PM   #31
Keg

Quote:
Keg, if I'm the poor slep next to you on the range........... I CARE.
I don't go to a public range..I have my own....If U are at a public one..U might wanna leave it in the truck....
Old January 15, 2013, 07:16 PM   #32
reynolds357

When I go to the range, I go to shoot what I need to shoot. If I need to shoot a brake rifle; I am going to shoot a brake rifle. People need to get used to them.