The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 9, 2000, 12:30 AM   #1
Moe

The 1300 turky gun I just bought is everything I am looking for. However... The Safety position sucks. Badly. I cannot reach it with my trigger finger when my hand is in the correct shooting position. I have to reposition my right hand after I remove the safety to get a shot off. Does anyone make a replacement trigger assy./safety. Or would a combat style pistol grip/shoulder stock (like an ar15) be the answer? Or sell the gun and start over. What would you do?

Please help
Any advice is useful

Moe
Old December 9, 2000, 09:58 PM   #2
Bam Bam

I am surprised to read this, are you shooting left-handed?
Old December 10, 2000, 07:27 AM   #3
Glamdring

I guess I picked the 1300 because I like the safety better than the 870 style [I think tang safeties are the best but didn't want a mossberg].

What I do with the 1300 is position my right hand to work the safety, and push it to fire as I mount the gun, then I start pulling the butt tight into my shoulder with the right hand and let it slide just a little on the pistol grip [the normal semi pistol grip].

Sounds more complicated and slow than it is. But my gun is set up for slugs & buck and I don't have any trouble getting the gun ready in a hurry...but I have practiced, dry fire and presentation, a lot with it.

What type of safety are you used to?
If you practice with it say two or three times a week [dry fire that is you don't need ammo] for 4 to 6 weeks and it is still not smooth then I would say sell/trade it for another.