The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 2, 2015, 08:45 PM   #1
bspillman

Armscor revolvers

Anyone have long term use report?
Old April 2, 2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Model12Win

Not personally, but here is a video about an M206 range rental with more than 10,000 rounds downrange with no issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSGUGeHEpXk
Old April 3, 2015, 08:54 AM   #3
campingnights

I've only had mine for a year, but am well pleased with it. It handles +P ammo and goes bang every time. Besides if, heaven forbid, you actually need to defend yourself it is better to have one of these confiscated than a $700 gun, yes? What's not to like?

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old April 3, 2015, 09:10 AM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
Besides if, heaven forbid, you actually need to defend yourself it is better to have one of these confiscated than a $700 gun, yes?
I hear that all the time.

I disagree. If you need to use it for what it was made for, you want the best tool you can get. That's going to be a (probably) once in a lifetime event. If that gets confiscated for some time, only then move to the cheap backup.

Don't use a legacy ("Grandpa's gun") or historic ("Hitler's gun") gun, do you the best you can.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 3, 2015, 11:53 AM   #5
Toney

Did they quit making the m206?
Old April 3, 2015, 11:58 AM   #6
Model12Win

I don't the so, why do you say that?
Old April 3, 2015, 12:56 PM   #7
campingnights

My Quote: "Besides if, heaven forbid, you actually need to defend yourself it is better to have one of these confiscated than a $700 gun, yes?"

lee n field: I hear that all the time.

I disagree. If you need to use it for what it was made for, you want the best tool you can get. That's going to be a (probably) once in a lifetime event. If that gets confiscated for some time, only then move to the cheap backup.

Poppycock. I had a titanium 38 that cost several times the Armscor but would only fire 10 times due to bad design that fouled the cylinder rotation. My Armscor has fired 100 rounds at a sitting, many times and accurately, without any problems. I don't buy into this elitism that only expensive guns are reliable. I do wish you well though.

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old April 3, 2015, 02:58 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
I had a titanium 38 that cost several times the Armscor but would only fire 10 times due to bad design that fouled the cylinder rotation. My Armscor has fired 100 rounds at a sitting, many times and accurately, without any problems. I don't buy into this elitism that only expensive guns are reliable. I do wish you well though.
I think you've misconstrued what I said.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 3, 2015, 03:34 PM   #9
Pezo

No experience with the armscore. But it is better to have a cheap and reliable gun confiscated than an expensive and reliable. Key being reliable. Money dosent always buy reliable now a days but usually is a good reference to quality with guns.
Old April 3, 2015, 04:53 PM   #10
turkeestalker

Honestly I've heard and read good things about the Armscor revolvers. Had the opportunity to handle one at a local gun show a couple weekends ago and wasn't disappointed in the least considering the price point. I will be picking one up to bring home some day without question.
Old April 3, 2015, 11:58 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

I had been thinking of getting an Armscor 206 for some time. But now I am thinking I will add another hunnered bucks, and go to a EAA Windicator 357. The finish on the ones I have seen looks much better than the Armscor, and it's chambered in 357 Magnum giving me the option of 38Spcl. or magnum loads.
The Windicator has gotten similar good reviews as the Armscor.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 5, 2015, 12:39 AM   #12
Model12Win

The M206's I've handled at the LGS were okay, but all seemed to have excessive cylinder wobble at full lockup. Not a deal killer probably, but something to watch out for.
Old April 5, 2015, 03:51 AM   #13
peggysue

The Hi-Point pistol equivalent in a ARMSCORE revolver?
Old April 5, 2015, 05:50 AM   #14
turkeestalker

Quote:
The Hi-Point pistol equivalent in a ARMSCORE revolver?
Not so sure about that. Hi-Point set out to create an affordable pistol that functioned and successfully did that with their brick on a stick. It's ugly, it's heavy, but it works.... so it has two things in common with my ex wife!!!!
Armscor (notice no 'E' ) in their M206, set out to copy an old and trusted American standard, namely a Colt Detective Special, with a couple modern improvements on Colt's original design. Like the use of a coil spring and a transfer bar type system. Actually that is very similar to what Armscor chose to do with trusted American standard we fondly refer to as a Colt 1911, and they did that very successfully didn't they?
I say if you want it buy it.. and tell the 'snobs' out there that you have two words for them that aren't 'Merry Christmas'. That is exactly what I intend to do but I think I'll be going with the M200 with the 4" barrel the day that I do. I can spend the money still in my pocket after the purchase on ammunition.
Old April 5, 2015, 06:40 AM   #15
lowercase

I have a 206.

Mine still has a low round count, but it has worked just fine.

I swapped out the awful little wood grips for a Pachmayr Compac rubber grip made for a Colt Detective Special. It works, but isn't the best fit because of a slight difference in the location of the pin in the grip frame.

I want to get a set of the Armscor rubber grips that they put on the 4" Model 200 revolver.
Old April 5, 2015, 02:53 PM   #16
bryco32

I have plenty of experience with the M206 and unfortunately Armscors warranty services.

The first m206 I bought had major timing issues and would lead your face firing it. I sent it back in and 5 weeks later I called about it. According to them the gun was misplaced once it got there. My dealer finally called them to complain and then they sent another gun. Same thing with the second one as the first. Sent it back and received what looked like a test gun. It was pretty beat and had a hang up on one cylinder. I had a gunsmith correct it and I sold it at a loss.

I still loved the look of it so I saved for a well worn colt. I have had great luck with the older Rossi and charter arms snub nose revolvers. I'd go that route instead of the M206 if money is that tight. The eaa 38 is a better gun as well.
Old April 5, 2015, 03:26 PM   #17
turkeestalker

I've read quite a number of reviews and forum posts regarding the Armscor revolvers, and though it is stated that they don't really lock up like a bank vault, yours bryco32 is the first to claim timing issues of such a serious nature.
I'm curious if the one you bought was one built back in the 80s or a more recent production?
Old April 5, 2015, 04:00 PM   #18
bryco32

This was back in 2014 and with a new current model when I had these issues. A
ll were marked rock Island Armory.
I wouldn't recommend the revolvers. I have a few new current ria 1911s though that I like.

My dealer started stocking these after I purchased mine through him. He had a fee go back for the same thing. I have pictures somewhere on my old phone of hammer strikes all over the brass. I'll have to find them. I don't recall any issues in single action but all of them were worthless in double action.
Old April 5, 2015, 04:12 PM   #19
turkeestalker

It is interesting that a company could be spot on with a 1911 and so far off with a revolver. Competence is competence as incompetence is incompetence, both usually being pretty consistent. I find it interesting that your experience is unique based on the experience of others.
I believe that after having had the chance to handle an Armscor model 200 with the 4 inch barrel at a gun show a couple of weekends ago, and having read a number of reviews prior to that occasion and since, I'll be buying one some time in the near future as I'd planned. Seems hard to beat for the price point.
Thanks for your input though bryco32.
Old April 5, 2015, 04:28 PM   #20
bryco32

I don't think it is unique. At the time it was going on I was on a Brazilian forum that had several different members complaining of the same thing.

All of the M206 revolvers I got from them would primer strike off center in da and shave the jacket and lead off making it very dangerous. It wasn't and still isn't a quality made gun from what I can see of the new ones in the cases.

The revolvers are taking a back seat to the 1911s at Armscor/ ria in the quality dept. I love inexpensive handguns but you'd be better off looking at something else.
Old April 5, 2015, 04:34 PM   #21
smee78

I have a friend that bought one for his wife a year ago. They havent had any problems with theirs but when I got to handle it, I felt it was a little unfinished. It just seemed a little unrefined as to the finish, I havent gotten to shoot it yet so I cant comment on that part of the gun. I think I would save up a little more and get a good used Ruger (showing more finish wear but good lock up) if I were looking for a quality revolver with a low price.
Old April 5, 2015, 07:32 PM   #22
turkeestalker

I love inexpensive firearms too, and I do hear what you're saying bryco32 and appreciate your frankness.
Smee78, I already own five Ruger revolvers, two of them being SP 101s, of which one is my DC. I guess I just have a thing for the inexpensive like bryco32 said and others have posted in this forum. Maybe it's an affliction, and I can say that I've regretted a purchase or two through the years. Just still find myself being drawn to the 'underdogs'. Color me crazy or stupid!
Old April 5, 2015, 07:53 PM   #23
bryco32

I am definitely drawn to budget minded revolvers and Pistols as you can tell by my Username. I had quite a collection of ring of fire guns for years.

I started slowing selling them all off when prices for them gained momentum. I have always had so called higher end guns and I sold a lot of the ROF guns to fund reloading and some better quality guns here and there.

I Still think any of the early Charter Arms, any of the current EAA revolvers and the early and late model Rossi revolvers would be a better choice for you than the m200 or m206. I have plenty of the Rossi m68's in 2 and 3" barrels. These can be had for under $200 on Gunbroker and are Light years ahead of the m200 and m206. You loose a round being 5 shot but these will handle +p all day long and are MUCH better quality.
Old April 6, 2015, 11:57 AM   #24
campingnights

Actually the owners manual states that the Armscor are safe with 38 +P rounds. I love, trust and carry mine. Wish I had wised up sooner and bought 3 of them instead of one Beretta Inox. The Pachmyer grips work but don't completely close, maybe half a millimeter gap. Wish for better grips, but hey they work OK.

I also have a stainless Rossi snubby in 357 and they are a decent gun for the money too.

Old April 8, 2015, 11:43 AM   #25
bspillman

Ok so I bought one of the 4 inch bbl ones. Model 200 I think. Seems good quaility. I need to find a holster for it. Is it a D frame or a K frame revolver?