The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 22, 2001, 11:09 AM   #1
Gary H

I know that these are relatively new to the U.S. I have got a bit of the bug. I just recently got married and I know that kids will be coming sometime in the next two years. Do they come by UPS? Anyway, my buy window is short. So, I've rationalized buying myself an O/U for Trap and maybe Clays.

Fabarm O/U can be had on a budget. The Black Lion Competition and Sporting Clays Competition are the ones that I've seen (CDNN). ANY feedback on these guns would be appreciated. I have four H&K guns and my sense of things tells me that they would not import junk. I've seen the finish on some of these guns and they look good. Lots of features for the price.
Old May 22, 2001, 02:10 PM   #2
Gary H

I'll Bet That None of You Has One

I'm getting the impression that these guns are new to the market and nobody has one. I saw a couple in a local shop and thought that they looked like quality. I must say that the total lack of information makes me think that when you spend money on an O/U, most folks go with something that they see on the range. The Fabarm just isn't out there.

So, the lack of circulation has resulted in folks backing away from buying them. That said, H&K may back away from importation.

[Edited by Gary H on 05-22-2001 at 04:41 PM]
Old May 22, 2001, 07:43 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry, Gary, I've never seen one...
Old May 23, 2001, 07:13 AM   #4
BMWGS80

I've had the opportunity to shoot several in SC competition.
They are very good guns. Very popular in Europe. Excellent construction and looks. Generally can be had at lower prices due to no one in the states knowing much about them.
They do have a lifetime warranty. I plan on getting a LW 12 ga. in the future.

Good Luck,

ts
Old May 23, 2001, 09:50 AM   #5
Gary H

Done Deal

Just picked one up. Comes with H&K lifetime warranty. Look forward to giving it a try.
Old May 23, 2001, 10:17 AM   #6
K80Geoff

Fabarm O/U

These guns appear to be well made, typical Italian O/U shotguns. The manufacturer is well known in Europe but has no track record here in the US.

Clays shooters in the US tend to act like sheep, buying only a few makes of guns because they are marketed here successfully by the importers.

Many fine european makes of O/U have never caught on here. Guns like Marocchi, Rottweil, Renato Gamba and Kemen to name a few are as good as anything made by Beretta and Browning but haven't got the marketing expertise to compete with B & B.

If you like the gun buy it and have fun, don't listen to other shooters who will tell you to buy the B & B guns because they shoot them.

My $.02

Geoff Ross
Old May 23, 2001, 11:53 AM   #7
PJR

In the May 2001 issue of the British publication "Sporting Gun" there is a review on the Fabarm Gamma Lux competition. According to the article, Fabarm is not that not that well known in Britain either.

The verdict was:

"The gun has been pitched at the mid-price market, and its build specification means that it will prove very competitive with its rivals. Other guns in its class would be the lower grade Berettas and Brownings and this gun can certainly hold its head up and feel confident in their company. All said, it's a nice gun for the job."

There are many good guns in Europe that don't get here often. The trouble is usually service, parts and distribution. Kemen may make some inroads now that it is being serviced by Briley. Gamba at the higher end and Lanber at the lower are also good buys.