The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 20, 2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Chili Palmer

Media in primer pocket after re-tumble

This is another "I'm sure I know the answer - don't do that"...

I've been reorganizing my load/reload loot and decided some of the brass I had cleaned and re-sized / removed primer weren't shiny enough compared to some other newly tumbled brass. I tumbled it again overnight, wow it came out shiny.

As I was inspecting I noticed tumble media stuck in the primer 'blast hole' if you will. Wouldn't come out with a jiggle, happened to have that de-primer die in the press and punched it out.

Here's where I know the answer.. just not how bad it would be. If I loaded a primer in a cartridge that was blocked / semi blocked... would it fizzle and be a dud or would the primer blast it right out of the way and pow with the powder?

I think I know the big answer - don't re-tumble brass after you remove primer... but if you didn't and the above happened..?

thanks!
Old December 20, 2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Panfisher

I always re-tumble after resizing/depriming to remove the case lube and get the final "shiny". Checking the flash holes is just part of the routine, any small pointy tool will quickly dislodge the granule of tumbler media. I honestly don't think that the blockage would cause a complete mis-fire, the primer should blow it out easily, however it can't see that it would in any way be a good thing to have to rely on. Keep on tumbling them, and clean the flash holes when you are done, no problems.
Old December 20, 2013, 07:53 PM   #3
rg1

I just accept that some primer flash holes will be blocked with media and inspect every case before priming. No scientific data here but I "think" that most media would be blown out of the flash hole and ignite the powder BUT it seems some blockages are so tight especially with corn cob media that it would prevent firing or cause a delayed ignition? Media blocking flash holes is a standard reply when someone asks about having a few misfires. While I think this is true, most misfires I think comes from primers not seated to the bottom of the pocket and "armed". It's a good practice to inspect all flash holes before priming.
Old December 20, 2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Sierra280

Yep, just clean the flashholes after tumbling. If they are punched flashholes, uniforming and de-burring is also a good thing to do.
Old December 20, 2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Sure shot wv

Companies make different "size" media. You can always change your grade of media so it won't get stuck in the flash hole. This happens to me all the time but my decapping pin takes care of it. I ultrasonic clean then tumble to dry and ad that extra shine. Eventually ill change media but since I've started using the ultrasonic about a year ago my media doesn't get very dirty. So... I can see the media I have lasting about another 5-10 years.
Old December 20, 2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Chili Palmer

Thanks a ton - I'm good with what I thought it seems!
Old December 20, 2013, 08:25 PM   #7
jcwit

The primer WILL knock the media out of the 'flash hole' with no problem when shot. This has been discussed and cussed on most every reloading forum out there.

Now then why not get the 20/40 grit media so as to not have the problem in the first place. You can have it shipped to your nearest Grainger for free and pick it up their. It also available from Zoro tools.

http://cart.zorotools.com/s.nl?sc=3&c=1326902&n=1&ext=T

http://www.grainger.com/product/ECON...26s_pp%3Dfalse
Old December 20, 2013, 10:48 PM   #8
Oldbuck30

Any welding

supply house has 20/40walnut too small to stick in hole. I buy 30 pounds for 19.00. Last for ever in that amount. Best value I have found except for being able to pick up all the brass I want at the range.
Old December 21, 2013, 12:39 AM   #9
Nick_C_S

Been there. Done that.

I just pulled up a chair outside and started digging the media out of the flasholes one at a time with a pick I use for gun cleaning.

It's a real . . . Uh, it's tedious.
Old December 21, 2013, 12:42 AM   #10
Reloader2

I bought a cheap air compressor and just blow the media out with a quick shot of air. Also removes tumbler dust.
Old December 21, 2013, 01:06 AM   #11
Bongo Boy

Sounds like you're not using a progressive press? If you were, you could simply run the brass normally...through the deprime/sizing die--and the media would be removed by the deprimer pin.

Another alternative is: stop tumbling. Ultrasonic produces far cleaner cases and clean primer pockets (in my experience)...but I don't do either any more and am not likely to clean brass ever again. But, I shoot handgun and you may be talking rifle. I think my entire reloading process became about 1000% cleaner when I stopped tumbling--no rouge and no dust and no garbage everywhere. Just water everywhere.

I simply don't clean my brass much anymore--it's a complete waste of time as near as I can tell. Off the floor, into the press. Done. Haven't done it in quite a while and haven't noticed one tiny bit of difference in anything at all, except I save a lot of pointless fuss.

The loaded ammo looks about as clean as the cleaned brass reloads to my eye. I'm not handloading precision bench rest rifle stuff--so naturally that makes a difference in your perspective.
Old December 21, 2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Sierra280

I guess it's largely personal. I just really like the look of bright shiny brass.
Old December 21, 2013, 03:28 PM   #13
RC20

I have a sizing tool that has a small dull shaft on it and I use that to clean them out when I got that route (mostly I tumble after if there is any build up)

Not a clue what would happen if not cleaned but not going to find out!

Quote:
I bought a cheap air compressor and just blow the media out with a quick shot of air. Also removes tumbler dust.
You might want to rethink that and go with a mechanical pin, punch or the like.

The dust won't be good for you
Old December 21, 2013, 03:32 PM   #14
WESHOOT2

I have ruined numerous sizers from dirty or grit-embedded cases.
Old December 21, 2013, 03:49 PM   #15
skizzums

i use the fine walnut media from harbor freight, super cheap btw, it does not get stuck in holes at all, at one time i put nushine car wax in the media and did not let it dryenough before addng the brass and that was a mess

i personally would not want media stuck in the flash hole even if its proven to get blown out, i would just change to a finer media, btw i think over 50% of us retumble after size/deprime
Old December 21, 2013, 04:04 PM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

The main threat from the media particles in the flash hole is that if your sizing die is used afterward and has it's decapping pin in place, the media particle can steer the pin to the side where it hits brass and breaks off. If you miss getting a particle out and are not running another decapping pin through after the second tumble, the primer can push the particle out of the flash hole for the same reason it can push powder out of a flash hole. It doesn't wait for plugging powder grains to finish burning; the primer is done much faster. For match grade rifle loads it would be best to knock the media out of flash holes because it can, as it is blown loose, alter the spark spray pattern and that may affect muzzle velocity variation a little. It's mainly a long range consideration.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 21, 2013, 07:11 PM   #17
Snyper

I use welding torch "tip cleaners" to clear the flash holes on mine
Old December 21, 2013, 07:47 PM   #18
rdmallory

I messed up one time and purchased some corn cob media from a pet store that was too large and ended up sticking in my .223 brass I was tumbling.
Started using a welding rod to try picking it all out and gave up and scrapped it. It had not been deprimed and a air hose would not do the trick.

Doug
Old December 21, 2013, 09:08 PM   #19
jcwit

Quote:
I have ruined numerous sizers from dirty or grit-embedded cases.
Yet to ruin a sizing die from sizing any kind of cases, even when using hardened steel dies used for rifle calibers, this is in 50+ years of reloading. However I do rinse my cases before sizing.

I rinse and let dry
Deprime
Resize
Tumble to polish
Reload

Mayhap I'm just 1 lucky little pup!

Last edited by jcwit; December 21, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old December 21, 2013, 09:14 PM   #20
Nick_C_S

Unclenick covered it (again).
Old December 25, 2013, 10:42 PM   #21
Major Nickmo

I deprime then run my brass in a Thumler's Tumbler with Stainless Steel media. My primer pockets are spotless! 250 cases of 9mm for 45 minutes and it is the prettiest brass you've ever seen.

www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com
Old December 25, 2013, 10:58 PM   #22
DannyB1954

I seen a youtube video about adding BB's to the media to help clean. If you decap first though, the BB's are just the right size to get stuck in the primer hole, (Small Pistol).
Old December 26, 2013, 12:29 PM   #23
Ashbane

I keep a bent paper clip handy after tumbling. I like to handle each case anyway to look for signs of wear. I will scoop up 3 or 4 out of the bucket, tip them back and forth to shake out any loose stuff, and if there's a kernel stuck in a hole I drop the good ones and pop out the blockage.
Old December 26, 2013, 06:52 PM   #24
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
A number 7.5 Torx bit , is the best tool I've found for cleaning media out of primer pockets and flash holes . Has a rough edge , and it's the perfect size for anything that uses large rifle primers !
Old December 27, 2013, 10:09 AM   #25
F. Guffey

"If I loaded a primer in a cartridge that was blocked / semi blocked... would it fizzle and be a dud or would the primer blast it right out of the way and pow with the powder?"

If tumbler media is abrasive and the primer was able to blast it our of the way with the powder there is a chance tumbling media would not be good for the barrel.

I do not have anxiety attacks when reloading, I have time to remove media from the flash hole. The list of tools available for cleaning media/debris from the flash hole is endless.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; December 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: remove is endless