The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 28, 2013, 05:45 PM   #1
skizzums

replica guns

hi everyone. i do not, and have not ever, owned or shot a black powder revolver. my gf is really wanting one, and i do as well. we are both familiar with guns and reload our own ammo and do our own gun builds, so we are familiar with firearms. my question is, i want a DIY kit, probably .44 or something similar, for under 300$. i see the uberti's and pietta's, but i don't know anything about the quality etc. so if i could get turned in the right direction for a percussion
'kit" gun, i would appreciate it. we like th 1858, the walker's the 1860's, anything similar, exact models aren't that important. just decently long barreled revolver. thanks everyone.

p.s. feel free to ask me question so i can also figure out what i' looking for. cuz i dont really know.
Old August 28, 2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

First of all, read the thread "So you want a cap and ball revolver". at the top of the page. It will more than likely answer any questions you have. Another source for information is the Blackpowder essentials folder over on the High Road (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238769)

There are basically three types of C&B revolvers; Colt copies, Remington copies and Ruger Old Armies. Each has their advantages and disadvantages, and ardent followers or detractors. Your best bet would be to find a muzzleloading and/or Cowboy Acton Shooting (either SASS or NCOWS) club and partner up with someone that uses C&Bs regularly and try as many guns as you can. It won't take long to figure out what you like.

I am not aware of any current revolver kit Guns being made. There are always a couple older kits on the auction sites though. C&B revolvers are sometimes considered to be 'Kit Guns' because they take a little smoothing and tuning to get them to perform at a high level. The current crop of Piettas and Ubertis are probably the best they've ever been; but, there is still that odd lemon that will sneak out of the factory.

I am a devotee of Ubertis and 2nd Gen Colts and use them regularly in competition. The 1861 Navy is IMNSHO the best revolver ever made.

Good luck and happy shooting.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; August 28, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old August 28, 2013, 07:10 PM   #3
maillemaker

Hi skizzums.

I agree with what Fingers said.

You can buy replica ready-to-shoot black powder revolvers from Cabela's from about $200-$400. You can get them up to $25-$50 cheaper if you catch them on sale and apply for their Club Visa card at the time of purchase. I bought a Pietta 1858 Remington for Christmas last year that way for about $175.

Cabela's right now has a deal where you pay the usual price for the revolver but you get a free starter kit. I just bought a Colt 1860 Army that had that. Would have rather had a cheaper price than a kit I don't need but there it is.

I've ever only owned Pietta revolvers, but the general consensus seems to be that the Uberti's are slightly better in quality. But I've found my Pietta revolvers so far to be pretty good.

Now that I own both a reproduction Colt 1860 Army and a reproduction 1858 Remington New Model Army, it is my impression that the Remington was a more evolved design than the Colt, even though I like the aesthetic of the Colt better.

The Remington can remove and replace its cylinder much more easily and repeatably than the Colt, and you don't have to disassemble the gun to do it. You can easily remove the grips on the 1858 and dunk the entire assembled gun in hot water for cleaning, whereas the Colt requires more disassembly to get the grips off. The Colt is more likely to get jammed up from spent cap debris than is the Remington.

That said, I still like the feel and look of the Colt 1860 better. But I think my Remy is going to be my competition shooter.

If you are interested in competition black powder shooting, not only with revolvers but with rifles, smoothbore muskets, and even artillery, be sure to check out the North-South Skirmish association at http://www.n-ssa.org. You can check out this interactive map to see if there is a shooting range near you where competitions happen:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...fe8b5c70&msa=0

Steve
Old August 28, 2013, 07:23 PM   #4
MattShlock

Can we see a picture? It isn't true if there's no picture. Besides, some of us want to marry her already!

Old August 28, 2013, 07:50 PM   #5
skizzums

thanks everyone. i was considering buying off dixie gun works, they seem to have everything for under 275$, so if uberti is a good bet, ill prob just go with one. thanks everyone, ill look into those links.

p.s. here ya go matt. the last pic is to show that your too late.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luciana1.jpg (71.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg luciana3.jpg (81.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg luciana2.jpg (31.6 KB, 83 views)
Old August 28, 2013, 11:51 PM   #6
Bezoar

even if dixie still sells kit revolvers, please dont get one. There is still to much fitting to do on the mechanism its not funny. to many of those kits become paperweights or 300dollar checks to the gunsmith..
Old August 29, 2013, 05:47 AM   #7
skizzums

where should i buy from then? still staying in a similar price range.
Old August 29, 2013, 09:42 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Skizzums

Cabelas
Old August 29, 2013, 11:09 AM   #9
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy
Cabelas
Yep
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old August 29, 2013, 11:40 AM   #10
maillemaker

Yup, and like I said - Cabela's frequently run sales and if you sign up for their Club Visa card you can get more off and $5 flat-rate shipping.

Steve
Old August 29, 2013, 06:41 PM   #11
Fingers McGee

Free shipping through Sep 27th
Old August 29, 2013, 08:34 PM   #12
robhof

robhof

You might also want to find a store that has some to handle before you buy. Fit and feel varies from gun to gun and everyone has a different preference. You mentioned the Walkier and they are a cannon, fun to shoot, but my wife can't hold it up with both hands, but doubtful you'll find one under $300 even used. Good luck and you might look at the 36cal or 31 cal for fun and the ladies love the 31's. My wife loves my little 1849 wells fargo and I end up spending a lot of time reloading it for her when she comes to the range, they're also easy on the powder, more rounds down range per Lb of powder.
Old August 30, 2013, 08:24 AM   #13
skizzums

okeeedokee. thaks guys. i'll post when i get one.
Old August 30, 2013, 05:49 PM   #14
MattShlock

Yeah, Cabela's is good anyway but when they have a sale they're great. Dixie ya sorta gotta WAIT till they are having a sale IMO.

Hey, you guys make a cute couple -- you're just lucky she didn't meet the rest of us first though! Well, maybe not.

Good luck with all!