The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old January 16, 2005, 01:11 AM   #1
fastforty

Herb Bauer, sticker shock or...?

I happened into the Herb Bauer sporting goods store in Fresno today. Hey, they had a DARN good selection of rifles, shotguns and pistols, as well as the best selection of accessories I have seen in a loooong time. Now, I haven't really been haunting gun counters much lately, so maybe this is just inflation/sticker shock. It seemed that all of the NIB pistols were about $200 over retail. They had a grand selection of used rifles & shotguns right out where you could finger them, and most of them seemed to be priced right at retail for new firearms (and some of'em were pretty beat up). I walked out of there shaking my head, wondering if I'd ever be able to afford to purchase another firearm. The two things I remember for sure were: A Blued Sig P245 for $830, and a baby Glock for $1,150. Please tell me that this retailer is crazy & firearms haven't gone up that much in the last year or two. (or just shoot me now, lol)
Old January 16, 2005, 01:36 AM   #2
38splfan

Wow!

That sounds like madness
But, it is Cali (no offense)
Those sound way over what I have seen on similar guns here. I would definitely do some homework on retail prices before buying one.
Old January 16, 2005, 12:42 PM   #3
busted1200

Save your bullet and move to Indiana, where Glocks sell for less than $500, there's no high cap mag ban, no .50 cal ban, no assault ban, less crime, no mudslides, and you can legally own machine guns with proper paperwork.
Old January 16, 2005, 01:07 PM   #4
gudel

it must be the Bauer name, they probably confuse themself as Eddie.
personally, I'd rather have a Glock or HK special edition brand name on my car than Eddie Bauer.
Old January 17, 2005, 02:24 PM   #5
Tom2

Check out gunshows

If you think that only dealers try to gouge on used guns, try the gunshows.
I was at one in Ohio this weekend. I thought I would shop for an inexpensive 30-30. All the common as dirt neglected, worn, rust speckled Marlins on the tables were asking 300 and up. Used but only slightly worn 30AS model was only 275. Rusty Winchesters, post 64, were just as bad. Or more. Finally decided that I could live without one. And who among these fly by nighters will stand behind a used gun deal? Buyers keepers. Gunshows around here have some deals dispersed among the price gougers, but they all think their used guns should bring list price, if possible. Lotta lookin but little buyin goes on at these shows. How do they make a living?
Old January 18, 2005, 01:03 AM   #6
fastforty

LOL, I read "Speckled Martins" & started to wonder when they began selling birds at gunshows.

In all fairness, I didn't talk to the counter jockeys, they were up to their ears with young wannabe pistol owners who probably would have been lucky to afford a box of shells. The pistols in question may have had laser sights for all I know, but I doubt that everything in the cases did (they had a lotta pistols, many quality models). They really did have a fantastic array of guns & accessories & I wouldn't doubt that they know their stuff.
Old February 26, 2005, 10:07 PM   #7
abelew

Glocks around here, no matter the size, are running about $500. I could pick up a desert eagle for less than that price at the local gun show, including tax (was $850). He was probably trying to make up for the cost of his liability insurance because he was dealing in Kommifornia.
Old February 27, 2005, 12:27 AM   #8
thelast2

Quote:
Please tell me that this retailer is crazy & firearms haven't gone up that much in the last year or two
Well the answer to that is yes the prices of firearms has increased especially in the last year. Partially due to the rising cost of metal. But also something to consider is the fact you are in California and many firearms manufactures are having to cater to the legislation of that state by altering there guns to comply with the laws. And while these are not the only factors ie. the costs of frivolous lawsuits and insurance rate climbs directed at the manufactures are being passed on in the costs of new firearms also. With all this said I still think the gun shop you went to is charging to much and I would definitely take my business somewhere else. With the internet you have many viable avenues to purchase firearms just be sure you know your state laws before ordering.