The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 10, 2014, 04:01 PM   #1
Dave R

What's up with this barrel? (pix)

Cleaned my Sub 2000 the other day and saw something I had not noticed before. See the pix.

The ring you see is not the chamber edge. Its about 2" beyond the chamber edge. You can vaguely see the chamber edge as a dark semicircle in the larger picture. The ring appears to NOT be a protrusion. Its an indent. It goes in, not out.

Background--I bought this gun new about 3 years ago. Have never noticed this till now. I was shooting cast bullets for the first time. Have only used mild loads in the gun. I noticed leading on only one part of the barrel, and then noticed there was a ring around the leading.

Any idea what this is, or what may have caused it? Any fix other than a new barrel?

Old February 10, 2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Snyper

It has to be a manufacturing defect because the rifling goes across it
Old February 10, 2014, 08:44 PM   #3
Pahoo

Ringed barrel !!

The only time I have seen this, is when you have a ringed barrel, dog-knot or whatever you want to call it. Now, for further confirmation, rub some oil on the outside of the barrel to make it shiny. The look up into a light and scan down the outside of the barrel. At this point, you should see the bulge. I have been caught like this, twice and now, I never fail to scan the outside as well as in the bore. There are no safety issues and it will probably shoot just fine. ...

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; February 10, 2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old February 10, 2014, 09:03 PM   #4
mapwd

I bought a revolver once off of Gunbroker that had a ring like that, you could also detect a faint bulge on the outside of the barrel. It is caused by a squib round that becomes lodged in the barrel. Then someone shoots it out with another round! at least that is what a smith told me when he looked at it. I got rid of that gun.

When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny. - Thomas Jefferson 1743-1826

Old February 10, 2014, 11:52 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is pretty close to the chamber, but appears to be the result of shooting out an obstruction, possibly a bullet from a squib load.

If the bullet being fired is actually touching an obstructing bullet, there will probably not be a bulged barrel; the two bullets will simply exit the barrel as one bullet.

Jim
Old February 11, 2014, 12:48 AM   #6
Dave R

I probed the ring tonight. It is definitely an indent. It doesn't stick out. It appears to be right about where the barrel nut is.

AFAIK, there has never been a squib in the gun. But I suppose its possible, and I just missed it or don't remember it.

Any other questions or thoughts before I call Kel Tec?
Old February 11, 2014, 06:35 AM   #7
Bart B.

That barrel was "ringed" by shooting it with oil or water in it. I've seen half a dozen or so of them.
Old February 11, 2014, 06:39 AM   #8
Old Stony

Looks like a pretty classic sign of an obstruction in the barrel at one time. It will still shoot okay, just look strange.
Old February 11, 2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Dave R

Shot it this afternoon. Did not seem to affectt acccuracy...
Old February 12, 2014, 08:44 AM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Agree with James K. It's bulged due to an obstruction that was blown out.

In ignorance I shot a 38 revolver for years that had a bulged barrel. When I figured out it was bulged, I had the barrel replaced.
Old February 12, 2014, 03:17 PM   #11
Pahoo

Still a shooter

Quote:
Shot it this afternoon. Did not seem to affectt acccuracy...
As stated before, most of the time, it probably won't effect the accuracy. On my last encounter with a ringed barrel and after deciding to sell it, I went to the range and proved and shot some tight groups. I noted all details and when I put it up for sale, I provided this documentation. I originally bought this rifle, in "heat" and refused to sell it without telling the buyer it's condition. I know the buyer and will follow up will a call, to again confirm that the groups are still good.. ...

To some folks, it's like have in a beautiful girl friend with a wart on her nose. She may be beautiful but that wart is still there. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 12, 2014, 06:30 PM   #12
Clark

I just bought a 22 that looks like that.
I thought they had a stuck bullet and drilled it out.

huh.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 12, 2014, 10:49 PM   #13
Dave R

Yep. I'll replace the barrel when convenient.