The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 27, 2012, 11:39 PM   #26
Deja vu

I typically use my 357 magnum Marlin lever action... Why? Its cause I am best with it. It is a trapper model with a 16 inch barrel and it very small and light and handy. I have shot it since I was a child. I have taken many deer with it as well as lots of plinking and small game.

I believe in using what you are best with.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 28, 2012, 12:55 AM   #27
therealdeal

oldmarksman

Quote:
To me, the biggest limitation of the shotgun is that I would have to be able to get to it for it to be of any use to me.
That is exactly my same issue. It is my "fault" or choice, but in my household safety must come first. If the SHTF I can't think of a better firearm to use for the HomeDefense scenario(in my opinion & considering the firearms we own).

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 28, 2012, 01:01 AM   #28
therealdeal

scrubcedar

Quote:
I understand that pistols seem easier to maneuver in a confined space. But If I have the option between a pistol caliber weapon and the damage it causes and a shotgun with the damage it causes............the answer is easy.
I agree. The odds heavily favor the shotgun(again, in my opinion). If two or three guys are in your house on the offensive(extremely aggressive and quick), would you want your handgun or the loaded shotgun? You already answered the question...

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 28, 2012, 08:51 AM   #29
MarkDozier

The OP made several errors.
Shooting someone in your home is not the same as the case in FL.

He makes an uninformed statement when he say " You should not kill" when the original text reads "You shall not commit murder"
The vidoe could have been shot in a better location, allowing for better message delivery.

And honestly anytime someone feels the need to say trust me (think used car salesman) when presenting a opinion makes me suspect about the content of the message.

Last edited by MarkDozier; November 28, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old November 28, 2012, 10:10 AM   #30
WildBill45

Quote:
Seems a difference between night and day to me. If there is anywhere you should be justified in using deadly force if you have to it's in your home.
Just yesterday someone in "FLORIDA" was charged with murder for shooting two intruders who were not a threat while therein!!!

You can't EXECUTE intruders when the threat ceases to exist ... Law or no law, Trust me...

I don't know if this is the case I heard, but close enough:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...th-murder?lite

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; November 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: change word, add article link
Old November 28, 2012, 11:58 AM   #31
DasGuy

A good point to add to the video is putting a sling on any long gun. It will be much harder for a badguy to take it from you.

Regarding that story, the guy shot them, then executed them and then hid their bodies in his basement. It's completely different from the Zimmerman / Martin fiasco.
Old November 28, 2012, 12:21 PM   #32
Nanuk

Like you Wild Bill I carried a shotgun for many years, I carried an AR for just as many though.

I tend to be in Mas's camp here. The shotgun for me is a gun for repelling boarders at no further than 15 yards. A carbine is much more of a multi purpose long gun.

I actually like lever action pistol caliber carbines and have Marlins in 357 and 44. Compared to my 870 they are smaller, lighter, carry more ammo and ammo is less bulky. Granted they do not have the raw power of the 12 gauge, but I feel that is a very minor issue.

Quote:
A good point to add to the video is putting a sling on any long gun. It will be much harder for a badguy to take it from you.
I am not about to wrestle over a long gun, drop it and use your pistol to engage the BG.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 28, 2012, 01:01 PM   #33
spacecoast

Quote:
Just yesterday someone in "FLORIDA" was charged with murder for shooting two intruders who were not a threat while therein!!!
Note this was in Minnesota, not Florida... the "basement" was a dead giveaway.

Also, it was likely the follow-up shots that earned the murder charge, not the initial shots. This guy was off his rocker and had been broken into before.
Old November 28, 2012, 02:55 PM   #34
Glenn E. Meyer

ChrisLCR - you need to study up on the legal ramifications that occur with self-defense shootings.

This forum is well past simple statements of the 'good' shoot theory or that we should give it up because there might be legal considerations in other behaviors and/or equipment choice that might come up at trial.

GEM
Old November 28, 2012, 06:26 PM   #35
WildBill45

[QUOTE]A good point to add to the video is putting a sling on any long gun.[/QUOTE

A sling is good in MOST scenarios, but sometimes it can be a dangerous burden, noisy as hell, and the bad guy, if bigger and stronger can throw you around whilst taking the shotgun away. As I said earlier, and also some other gentleman said today, this is why I Like a pistol on board as well when shotgunning for bad guys in the house or the bush!

Military guys today use them a lot in the middle east, as they usually have backup behind them, but put them out in the jungle, and you won't see all those slings being used ... too noisy, grabs limbs, and restrict your movement.

If you have a backup to cover the bad guy, a sling is nice to keep the shotgun on your person while dealing with the person of interest.

Old November 29, 2012, 10:43 AM   #36
boattale

One option the shotgun gives you that the pistol does not is the ability to deliver a horizontal buttstroke. That's the old Marine in me talking.

I'd rather knock somebody's teeth out than kill him (given the choice).

Last edited by boattale; November 29, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old November 29, 2012, 12:42 PM   #37
WV_gunner

I use a Stoegor Condor and a Rossi Circuit Judge. The Stoeger has no external hammers and a single trigger. Makes 2 very quick shots. The Rossi is a 5 shot, double action, revolving rifle. I load the Stoegor with 12 gauge Winchester #4 3 inch shells and the Rossi with Federal 000 3 inch shells. Sometimes I use Hornady LeveRevolution .45 Colts.

I prefer long guns for home defense. Seems to be easier for me. When funds permit I'm buying mini sabot slugs for my rifled Mossberg.
I don't like the idea of using rifle cartridges for home defense. Over penetration is very possible. A piece of paneling, insulation, thin aluminum, and 15 feet is all that is between me and my neighbor.
Old November 29, 2012, 03:33 PM   #38
Glenn E. Meyer

Boattale - well that's true. Not being anything but a fog, I ran in a shoot house where they simulated being in your jammies (really an old fashioned night gown) with a coach gun and a box of shells. You were supposed to navigate through various rooms with 3D dummies and deal with. Carrying the shells, reloading - mixed BBs or slugs was interesting. At one intersection, I came to - there was a target down the hall and another. Bang, bang - but surprise, right around the corner (had to move) was another and the gun was empty. Thus, I busted him in the head with the butt.
Old November 29, 2012, 03:57 PM   #39
ChasingWhitetail91

my chopped 16 ga. stays loaded and attached to my bed at all times. treat every gun like its loaded, then keep it loaded cause it aint no good for hd if it's not.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:05 PM   #40
Panfisher

Maybe I am off base, but seems to me that every platform, rifle, handgun, shotgun, baseball bat etc. has strengths and weaknesses. They will vary from person to person and from situation to situation. I am more comfortable with a rifle than a shotgun, but wouldn't hesitate to employ a shotgun if the situation arose, ditto for the handgun. I would rather my wife have a 10/22 and 25 round mag that I know she can absolutely place bullets where and when she wants to than a shotgun or handgun she doesn't like, or is afraid of. Fortunately my wife loves my AR and its mag of HP's. Whtever you are comfortable, accurate with, and is reliable use it.
Old November 29, 2012, 06:06 PM   #41
WildBill45

Shotguns are part of every American Kid's memories and skill sets

A shotgun is a proven platform in civilian usage, and one of the main reasons is, EXPERIENCE!

More folks have more actually shooting experience with shotguns than rifles due to the habits of America's hunting families. Every kid worth his salt grew up with a shotgun, a beagle, and a box of shells, all shot by mid-day Saturday.

Deer rifles are shot by most the week before season, maybe half-a-box to sight in, then into the field where no shots are fired on most days of hunting...

Everyone is experienced, thus confident with the shotgun. This is tantamount to a smile, it comes naturally, as everyday things do!!!

Old November 29, 2012, 06:09 PM   #42
SIGSHR

Biggest weakness is that too many think it's a mere matter of "point and pull" and they need no special training on it. Plus manipulating a long arm in the dark or bad light when you've just woken up out of a sound sleep, can't find your glasses, are note sure what you've heard or who you are facing.
Old November 29, 2012, 06:57 PM   #43
WV_gunner

Not everyone grew up with shotguns, I grew up with up with rifles. yet I still prefer shoyguns for home defense.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:33 PM   #44
WildBill45

Quote:
many think it's a mere matter of "point and pull"
And they would be right! Point and shoot is the highest level of up close and personal shooting!

When I first started Martial Arts I thought a punch was just a punch. After mastering the art I found out that a punch is just a punch...

Point and shooting is just point and shooting.

Old November 29, 2012, 07:55 PM   #45
shurshot

I would think a well hidden home defense weapon is prefered, lest one arrive home from shopping and find a well armed burglar (with your gun), waiting for you.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:58 PM   #46
Chris9472

Quote:
I would think a well hidden home defense weapon is prefered, lest one arrive home from shopping and find a well armed burglar (with your gun), waiting for you.
It depends on how big your house is and how clever you are.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:05 PM   #47
Chris9472

Quote:
I would rather my wife have a 10/22 and 25 round mag that I know she can absolutely place bullets where and when she wants to than a shotgun or handgun she doesn't like, or is afraid of. Fortunately my wife loves my AR and its mag of HP's. Whtever you are comfortable, accurate with, and is reliable use it.
Actually, a properly working 10/22 isn't half bad for HD. It's small, light, holds lots of rounds and can be fired very fast, even one handed if need be. If I had children, this is what I'd train them to use for HD.

I don't know about the homebreakers, but I wouldn't care much for being caught in a hail of bullets spitting out of a 10/22!
Old November 29, 2012, 08:14 PM   #48
Chris9472

Quote:
Quote:
Seems a difference between night and day to me. If there is anywhere you should be justified in using deadly force if you have to it's in your home.

You can't EXECUTE intruders when the threat ceases to exist ... Law or no law, Trust me...
If you read my comments, I said "using deadly force in your own home IF YOU HAVE TO. I never said anything about doing so when it is unnecessary.

Regarding the Florida case, I don't know the details. I wonder how it was determined after the fact that the intruders were "not a threat"? How was the homeowner supposed to know at the time? I'll have to check that one out.

Last edited by Chris9472; November 29, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:26 PM   #49
Chris9472

Quote:
ChrisLCR - you need to study up on the legal ramifications that occur with self-defense shootings.
Your right. Can you provide some good links? However, I probably understand more about them then you may think, otherwise I wouldn't get upset everytime somebody tells someone that their life may be ruined if they ever had to use deadly force trying to save it, because they are probably telling the truth.

Quote:
This forum is well past simple statements of the 'good' shoot theory or that we should give it up because there might be legal considerations in other behaviors and/or equipment choice that might come up at trial.
Not sure what you mean here. Sounds like you agree that we shouldn't give up the right to defend ourselves?

Last edited by Chris9472; November 29, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:06 PM   #50
Nnobby45

Interesting how the argument seems to be either the pistol or the shotgun.

Both have a place in my HD strategy. There's a place for each to cover different circumstances.

Tags
home invasion , shotgun