The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 5, 2001, 10:02 AM   #1
Jeffly

While looking gor answers about lead in my barrel, It was suggested I get a lapping kit that shoots the lapping compound through the barrel. Is this the best way to do this or can you lap the barrel using the compound and a patch and a jag. Thanks for whatever advice you can offer. Jeff
Old March 5, 2001, 01:55 PM   #2
Badger Arms

Depends on alot of things. What type of gun are you shooting? If you are shooting lead bullets through it, I'm assuming it's a handgun. Chances are you aren't going to 'shoot the barrel out' of most handguns under normal conditions. It's simply a matter of pressure and velocity here. No matter what, before you lap the bore you should thoroughly clean and remove any and all fouling in the bore. Otherwise, you'll polish the surface of the brass or lead instead of the bore.

Fire lapping is where you shoot abrasive coated bullets through a gun in progressively finer grits. This is a very good method with a few drawbacks. The drawbacks apply mostly to rifles becasue you get lots of erosion near the chamber with this method.

The Method I have used involves tight-fitting jags and patches coated with lapping compound. I start with 800 and proceed to 1600 in two steps. You'll notice a difference in how much resistance you encounter with this method and how little you get after you finish. I'd suggest you procede VERY cautiously and don't remove any thing more than finish. You are trying to knock the jagged edges off of the tool marks, not remove them. Following each grit, THOROUGHLY clean the barrel.

Whatever the method you use, after your last grit and thorough cleaning, treat the bore with Tetra-Gun as the instructions say to. You'll notice your barrel is easier to clean and gives you less resistance when you run a patch through it. Should not have much, if any leading problems and these should be easier to clean up. Good luck.
Old March 6, 2001, 08:56 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Jeffly, I don't know if firelapping will help you or not. I really don't think it will. The key to keeping barrel leading to a minimum is to either load cast bullets under 1200fps or use gas checks. George