The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 2, 2009, 08:46 PM   #1
hightower

YOUNG women's holsters

the gf (22 y/o) and i have been kicking around the idea of her carrying, i've got a couple guns she feels comfortable with a taurus 85 with overmold grips and an mk9. I'm trying to find some carry options for her that will fit with her current wardrobe. I searched and the majority of the posts on this topic where back in 2006, i figured something could have changed between now and then. I have a belly band i use when wearing gym shorts that i think would be a decent option, of course there is always in the pocket of a sweatshirt. any other ideas out there?

On a side note does anyone know of a drop in holster for an inside breast pocket of a jacket.
Old February 2, 2009, 09:43 PM   #2
a1abdj

A lot of this depends on the shape of your girlfriend and how she dresses.

My girlfriend is small and has to wear dressy clothes for work. The only option that works for her is an ankle holster. Although it's not the best choice logistically, it's better than nothing at all.
Old February 2, 2009, 09:56 PM   #3
pax

hightower,

Belly bands work nicely when worn low on the hips and paired with dress pants, if she's not into midriff-baring styles. They also work for buxom women when worn high-&-centered on the torso, just under the "shelf" where the blouse is loosest.

If she is into midriff baring styles, consider a Galco Ankle Glove, a comfy ankle holster. It works well with the wide-legged or flare-bottomed jeans a lot of young women like. Be sure she understands the chief drawback of ankle carry: you cannot draw from an ankle holster while running away from danger.

The important thing to hammer home for her is that she must not get hung up on what she can't do, but focus instead on the things she can and will do. It's easy to get discouraged with the list of, "Well, I can't do this, or that, or ..." -- but women have the incredible advantage of being able to choose from many, many different clothing styles, where guys are pretty well stuck with one of about three basic looks. Encourage her to be creative in her clothing choices!

Swing by Limatunes' Range Diary, http://web.mac.com/mj_lauer/iWeb/Ran...y/Welcome.html -- the site is written by a very slender and attractive young woman who does an awesome job detailing how she dresses around the gun and still looks slim & sexy.

Hope this helps.

pax
Old February 2, 2009, 09:59 PM   #4
hightower

ankle holsters are an option but the most vunerable time for her would probably be walking to and from parking spaces downtown and such were drawing from an ankle would be the best option i would think.
Old February 2, 2009, 10:27 PM   #5
hightower

any other gun suggestion i might have her try... she shot an lcp but wasn't to fond of it
Old February 2, 2009, 11:47 PM   #6
FALPhil

My GF carries her 5 inch 1911 in her bra. Can you find it in this picture?
Old February 3, 2009, 12:13 AM   #7
hightower

i'll be honest i looked really close but that is concealed phil. now is that a package deal with the holster and the cleavage, cause i think if i suggest the "accessories" i might be looking down the business end of one of my pieces
Old February 3, 2009, 08:02 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
On a side note does anyone know of a drop in holster for an inside breast pocket of a jacket.
Any pocket holster will work. I carry a S&W snub in a Don Home leather pocket holster a lot in the winter. I'll drop it in either my inside breast pocket or an outside pocket. It does a good job keeping the snub upright and the holster has a "horn" on it that allows the snub to come free of the holster when removing it.
Old February 5, 2009, 10:41 AM   #9
kraigwy

All ladies are differant, they dress differant, hard to say whats good for your lady. Personally I'd yield to the ladies that carry for advise. I will add what works for my wife. I can vouch for her. She normally wears dresses and is quite thin. She carries a PPK and what we found that works well for HER, is the thigh holster from Nevada Leather. But this is just one lady. There are many out there and I'm the last one to try and say what women should wear, I'm lucky to match my socks, let alone try to match some ladies wardrob.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 7, 2009, 01:00 AM   #10
isanchez2008

Have you checked out Thunderwear? Name is ridiculous but I've heard it works for women who wear fancy dresspants.
Old February 7, 2009, 01:50 AM   #11
hightower

i've seen the thunderwear, i'm trying to avoid iwb, because normally she wears tighter low rise jeans and i'm betting it would 1. be hard to draw 2. be an obvious, uncomfortable bulge. has anybody seen a horizontal belly band before?
Old February 7, 2009, 03:04 AM   #12
moose fat

Purse with a holster in it. ?
Old February 7, 2009, 03:21 AM   #13
hightower

apparently the cc purse's are as fashionable as fanny packs. plus she usually doesn't carry a purse not to mention all the down sides of off body carry
Old February 7, 2009, 05:18 AM   #14
Radagast

Zombie thread!
Old February 7, 2009, 08:12 AM   #15
langloisandy

Womens Rigs...

Gents, Gentesses,

I make a pink holster for women (or guys that like pink). Also a nice peach lizard and I JUST got some purple lizard in.

Andy
Old February 13, 2009, 11:51 AM   #16
Shorts

Hightower, as a lady who also prefers low rise jeans, carrying in a warm climate, to include casual khaki/cargo shorts for summer, I'm really going through this search again. Currently here in TX, with my ladies fit Wranglers and button up short-sleeve/Tshirts (big enough, but not a wind sail, and not skin tight!) I have been successful with IWB strong side. I am carrying a Colt Commander. While on the heavy side, somehow I have not been made. I am 5'3" and 110lbs.

I use to carry in WA (Whidbey Island), where a cover garment was normally always present year round, whether a heavy coat or a light windbreaker/pullover fleece. I carried using an OWB on strong side.

Unfortunately for ladies, we have to adjust the wardrobe in order to carry the gun. What really complicates this is dress clothes. While some carry methods is perfect for casual clothes, it may be out of the question for work & dress attire. I also do not carry a purse (hate them). I also think purse carry is not very secure as well as it is not a quick access option for me.

Your GF will have to experiment and she'll probably go through a g ood number of options before she finds one that is acceptable. Getting use to carrying is a challenge in itself so the trouble may not completely come from the holster but rather the new task.

Good luck
Old February 13, 2009, 12:30 PM   #17
mddevildog

Holsters for women

Glad to see a female offered some advice. Greetings and hello to all. I'm new to this forum, but not to the world of firearms. Some good advice put forth here. Actually, holsters for women has been somewhat of a project for me for the past several years. There aren't many "holster makers" out there who cater to womens needs, and although I know they are trying, most don't produce what I consider suitable product. No disrespect to "Shorts", just saw by your profile you make holsters, but I'm not familiar with them, do you have a web site? Anyway, as already stated, you may have to try many, and you may also need to use different models based on clothing and environment. One thing you need to remember, carrying concealed does not meld well with fashion. IWB vs. belt carry, ankle carry, etc. are all options and then you need to weigh accessability against concealbility. Blade Tech makes a belt holster designed to ride lower and offset. Safariland is now making some holsters that can be lowered, offset, and even offer a somewhat adjustable cant. If the body type and apparell permit, I like IWB appendix. I know there are draw backs, but you need to weigh them as well. Easy access, easier to protect, easier access from seated, can be drawn with little movement of upper body. Remember, firearms were not supposed to be comfortable, they are supposed to be comforting. I could say alot more, but I'll stop now. Everyone stay safe.
RB
Old February 13, 2009, 12:40 PM   #18
Shorts

No offense taken. I find it in poor taste to throw a sales pitch in a thread where I'm also offering advice as a fellow forum member.

I realize brand suggestions are a very common piece of advice given on inquiries such as this, but I find it in conflict with the personal standards I have for myself.
Old February 14, 2009, 01:40 PM   #19
pax

Quote:
Blade Tech makes a belt holster designed to ride lower and offset. Safariland is now making some holsters that can be lowered, offset, and even offer a somewhat adjustable cant.
Dropped and offset holsters are great for the range and competitions.

They do not work -- at all! -- for concealed carry. Period, full stop.

I love my Blade Tech DOH, but it's not concealable by any stretch of the imagination, nor could it be in any conceivable universe. If I lived in the Arctic Circle and habitually wore a thigh-length parka that was significantly oversized, there would still be a lump from that holster.

Quote:
If the body type and apparell permit, I like IWB appendix.
So do I.

My current carry rig is a contour-cut belt with a velcro inside to carry a modified LFI rig from Ted Blocker holsters. The holster itself is tuckable, which I think is sine qua non for appendix IWB. Carry a Glock 26 in it. But this may or may not help hightower's lady much, as my body type is classic hourglass, I'm in the Pacific Northwest, and (most important) I'm middle aged and gave up on looking trendy a long time ago.

For an overview of the carry options specifically for women, see www.corneredcat.com/Holster/howhide.aspx

Oh, pocket carry can be problematic for women. Our clothes tend to be made of thinner fabric designed to flow with the body, and even practical clothing like jeans tends to have vestigial pockets compared to menswear. Plus there's the whole baggy vs tight clothing issue.

Shorts has it right: there are several other variables besides the holster that need to be considered. Some of it is simply adjusting one's mindset to the new task of carrying the firearm, some will be the necessary (slight!) change in clothing choices, and some will be the gear itself including the belt and firearm selected. All these things work together to form a complete carry system, yet newcomers often consider only the holster, or only the firearm.

Shorts, I don't think you'd be out of line to tell people what you make and why. After all, the reason you're making holsters is at least in part because you think what you're making is better in some way than what others have to offer! Don't let false modesty keep you from helping people with what you know and have learned, or from helping others find what they may be looking for.

pax,

Kathy

Last edited by pax; February 14, 2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old February 14, 2009, 02:54 PM   #20
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Shorts, I don't think you'd be out of line to tell people what you make and why. After all, the reason you're making holsters is at least in part because you think what you're making is better in some way than what others have to offer! Don't let false modesty keep you from helping people with what you know and have learned, or from helping others find what they may be looking for.
I agree.
Old February 16, 2009, 02:04 PM   #21
hightower

shorts, i agree lets see what you've got!

pax, thanks you a bunch for putting your website together, its been very helpful. I'm working on a couple options for her depending on outfits, she also has an hour glass shape and in the great pnw. eastern wa to be exact.
the tough thing about eastern wa is in the summer its 110 and this winter its been 10 degrees, so you kinda need a myriad of carry options.

so far appendix carry is looking good, a belly band in the shoulder holster area, and i'm working on making my own belly band for horizontal carry, and maybe just maybe if i can find a decent price on a shoulder holster might give that a try when an outfit permits.
Old February 19, 2009, 06:57 AM   #22
JasonG

Shorts,
Would you mind giving some more info on your carry method?
My wife is also a 5'3" 115lb Texan.
Her problen is her uh, petiteness doesn't cover well. Shoulder carry is out.
I'm guessing you're carrying about 2 o clock ?
Pax,
Thanks for the link, we are revisiting SOB carry. We thought my wifes hips/rear ruled that out, apparently not.
Goes to show you just have to try everything.
Most important, stop thinking like a guy !
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old February 19, 2009, 07:30 AM   #23
chemgirlie

I can't carry in my home state of WI (no ccw here ), but I can carry in MN due to an out of state permit. The following is just what I find works for me (I'm a jeans a t-shirt type with an occasional skirt/nice shirt):

With women's clothing the idea is to think of it as having more options than limiting. After all, we can conceal a thigh holster under a flowing skirt/dress and have built-in devices that make shoulder holsters less noticeable (our chests). When I wear a dress/skirt (assuming it isn't too tight) I find a thigh holster works quite nicely. For jeans/t-shirt days I do an IWB holster.
I think the best thing to properly concealing your weapon is to make sure that you have a quality holster that fits your gun well. There's no need to lug around unneeded holster weight that just bulks things up.

I've never tried Thunderwear or anything similar, so I can't say one way or the other on that subject. I've also never used pocket holsters or an ankle holster. However, ankle holsters seem like they would seriously inhibit me actually getting to my gun quickly and without making what I am doing totally obvious.

The one way I won't ever carry is in a purse or bag. I tend to lose my bag on a regular basis, and it's so easy to have your purse/briefcase snatched. I just can't rationalize giving a pickpocket/grab-and-run thief my gun. If I'm carrying, it's on my body, not in my bag.

I have seen fanny pack holsters, but I am opposed to fanny packs on the basis of it being a fashion sin (it conjures images of my grandma up).

All in all, it depends on what she's comfy with. I would recommend having her try them on with the different styles of clothing that she wears most often. A few slight changes to her wardrobe might be necessary, but nothing major.
Old April 22, 2009, 05:47 PM   #24
Dodgegirl73

I just picked this up form a local gun show. New style of bra holster I love it. You can get it from www.guns4gals.com I've included some photos because I don't think that those on the site do this thing justice.

Even with just my tank top there is not much of a print
Old January 7, 2010, 02:43 AM   #25
garridan

Holsters for Women

My wife has an ankle and thigh holster made by chickholsters.com. She likes it a lot and I think it looks pretty nice too

Here is a picture from their website.