The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 10, 2008, 04:24 PM   #26
SV_shooter

lol!
Old December 10, 2008, 04:49 PM   #27
NRAhab

Quote:
the only formal set of training I needed was common sense, accuracy, and balls. Neither USPSA or IDPA helped w defense strategies, as the targets we all engage dont shoot back..
Maybe, but IDPA and USPSA do help with stress inoculation, which means in the event that you have to do something challenging like reloading under a stress situation, you're more likely to actually get the magazine into the gun.
Old December 10, 2008, 06:29 PM   #28
SV_shooter

their both fun. one has more rules and one has less equipment choices. We stress that we dont fumble a reload, or that our dont guns puke, or missing the timing on a clamshell. it is far different when shots are fired at you the adrenal glands take over your body, the shots sound like whispers, and you have tunnel vision, as you take REAL hard cover. I wouldn't consider either SPORT any means of tactical or SD Training in real world scenarios. as their is no buzzer in real life, and there is no RO to ride me. I dont conceal under a vest. I think their hokey. Enjoy whichever you like, but the biggest arguments and figts over scoring and equipment was always a bunch of whinin IDPA'ers. Mall Ninjas of the Shooting Sports! I just want to shoot big stages pedal to the metal and not argue Tactics all day until I'm blue in the face or sick from hearing other know it alls yell at eachother. It wont stop me from shooting that weekend if theres no USPSA or Steel match, I just gotta shoot ESP and hope to god I dont get on a whiny squad!
Old December 10, 2008, 06:50 PM   #29
RickB

Sounds like you need to find another IDPA club. We have five in my area, and have yet to hear any tactical whining. There's no room for tactics when you have rule book.
Old December 10, 2008, 10:51 PM   #30
SV_shooter

maybe

Rick its usually LE that are the biggest whiners! (at the IDPA club) USPSA, everyone is just so happy unless their having tech difficulties. the worst day at a match is better than the best day at work, so I'll shoot whatever is happenin. Everybody should if they have the time and the desire. I shoot to be a good shooter, and I shoot really nice guns that make me feel cool! Aside from that, my biggest competition is me.
Old December 11, 2008, 09:55 AM   #31
NRAhab

Ah, the infamous IDPA rules lawyer. I will agree that the structure of IDPA does kind of lend itself to this activity, but to argue that it's unique to IDPA is, uh, kind of insane, since you'll get rules lawyers in every sport, whether or not it's a pistol sport.

I agree with Rick, it does sound like you need to find another club. Also, about this:
Quote:
We stress that we dont fumble a reload, or that our dont guns puke, or missing the timing on a clamshell. it is far different when shots are fired at you the adrenal glands take over your body, the shots sound like whispers, and you have tunnel vision, as you take REAL hard cover.
No one said that IDPA or IPSC is a gunfight simulator. What was said (and is generally agreed upon by really smart guys is that competition is good practice, as it gives you an arena in which you can refine your skills while placed under simulated stress situations. No, it's not a real gunfight, because steel doesn't shoot back. But the stress of competition, or performing in front of your peers is acutely real.
Old December 11, 2008, 12:42 PM   #32
SV_shooter

agreed

Hilarious! I said I'd shoot IDPA if their wasnt a USPSA or Steel match to shoot. As long as I'm shooting eh? I wasn't trying to ruffle feathers. I was just stating an opinion and we all know what they smell like...
Old December 12, 2008, 10:38 PM   #33
achey

Both games give valuable trigger time. The main difference is the mentality. USPSA shooters know it is a game, and play it as such. IDPA shooters think it's real, or tactical trainning. But, don't get me wrong both are valuable time to practice and hone YOUR skills. Take every opportunity to shoot and practice. Both sets of shooters are good people, and are willing to share their sport with you.

achey
Old December 13, 2008, 10:17 AM   #34
SV_shooter

good points

While I take gun safety and SD pretty seriously, I know when walking on to either COF that is just a competitive game. When we all acknowledge that aspect, may all IDPA vs USPSA bickering end!

Who Knows, somewhere down the line USPSA might buy IDPA and we can all shoot together in harmony!
Old December 13, 2008, 03:46 PM   #35
NRAhab

Quote:
IDPA shooters think it's real, or tactical trainning.
I often wonder where this misconception started. Most IDPA shooters that I've had the pleasure of shooting with know and understand that it, like USPSA, is a game. While they may argue that IDPA, as a game, better prepares you for a self-defense situation than USPSA (which is an assumption that I don't agree with), I've yet to meet an IDPA shooter who thinks that shooting a match once or twice a month is going to make them some kind of high-speed low-drag operator.