The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 7, 2008, 11:39 AM   #1
zenmtnman

First Autoloader

First post to the wonderful Firing Line forum. I've been lurking for awhile, and thought I might finally post.
I'm new to shotgunning, and have been given the blessing of the "boss" to purchase a shotgun. I've been trap shooting a few times, and I plan on trying to get the wife (aka "boss"), the father in law (who used to hunt dove/quail) and the mother in law (who also used to hunt dove/quail) into trap and skeet as well. Needless to say, recoil will have a big impact on whether or not they enjoy the sport, so an autoloader is a must. This gun will also likely be used as a general (but not dedicated) HD weapon and bird harvester. I don't intend to use it for deer, as I've got that base covered. I'm tending toward a gas gun, as I hear the recoil-op guns are a bit punchier, but feel free to try and convince me (Unfortunately, the best fit at the store has been the Franchi I-12). I'm looking to spend no more than $600-800 (though I've got a b-day coming up and know some Gander Mountain gift certificates are on their way!).
I'm in Colorado, so wet weather isn't really a concern, and mud is almost unheard of (though I might travel with this gun), and cleaning is not a chore to me. I've done a lot of reading on here...and am impressed with the wealth of knowledge, so any and all suggestions and reasons are welcome. thank you all in advance!
Old July 7, 2008, 12:01 PM   #2
oletymer

In your price range the best bet would be a Rem 1100. Also get light target loads not the heavy stuff. Most new shooters buy the heavy stuff but it is not needed and the light loads recoil less. Others will come on here and recommend a bunch of cheap import guns but the Rem has parts and service available just about anywhere and with high volume shooting with an auto that will be important. Also for trap shooting get a shell catcher and other shooters will be much friendlier.
Old July 7, 2008, 12:23 PM   #3
BigJimP

Fit is your first and primary issue - so it hits where you are looking - you need to know how much drop at the heel and drop at the comb works for you. The most versatile gun - is one that has a comb that is paralell to the rib - but you won't find many semi-autos that will fit that criteria even with the shims for the stock that some of them come with. I'd recommend a 28" or 30" barrel - so you get an extended sight plane - 30" is better on a light gun, in my view. Make sure the gun has screw in chokes - and a 12ga is your best bet. You'll need at least an IC, Mod and Imp Mod choke.

Any of the gas guns, if they fit you, will do the trick Beretta, Remington and Browning would be my choices for you. Of the inertia guns - Benelli - is my first choice. Benelli super sport is my first choice of all semi-autos and primarily because I think the Benelli is quicker to go into battery on the 2nd and 3rd shell than most, if not all, of the gas guns and it shoots a lot cleaner (but I clean it after every trip anyway). I think a Benelli with the comfort tech system is a softer shooting gun than a gas gun as well. My personal preference is the Benelli super sport but that's retailing for $ 1675 in my area new - but a very good gun and there are a few used ones showing up around $ 1,250. $ 600 - $ 800 I would probably look for a good used Beretta 390 or 391 in a 28 or 30" barrel. Good luck and have fun with the process. ( firing these guns first is a good idea, if you can ). I was at a range on Sat - and let a guy fire my Super Sport because he said he was thinking about buying one and was asking about it.
Old July 7, 2008, 12:32 PM   #4
MAX100

The Mossberg 930 combo (28" & 18.5" bbl) would make a nice home defense and bird shotgun. They cost around $475.

GC
Old July 7, 2008, 06:03 PM   #5
mikenbarb

Welcome to TFL! Get a Browning Gold, Silver or a nice Remington 11-87. All three are great and you should be able to find one in that price range. The Browning is a little more but worth it. Invest in a nice squishy recoil pad(Limbsaver) and your both set. Or you can invest in a Mercury recoil reducer that inserts into the stock if you dont want the added length. Good luck.
PS- The Remington 1100 and 11-87 seem to fit just about anyone and the Browning is a little more chunky.
Old July 7, 2008, 06:33 PM   #6
JWT

The Remington 1100 is a very good choice. Been around for a long time, parts easy to come by (in unlikely event you need some). Extra barrels are not too expensive and lots to choose from.
Like all gas guns the recoil is very light.
Old July 7, 2008, 07:03 PM   #7
flyby

Quote:
The Mossberg 930 combo (28" & 18.5" bbl) would make a nice home defense and bird shotgun. They cost around $475.
+1..
http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-...roductID=30468
Old July 7, 2008, 09:26 PM   #8
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100

GC
+2 !!

R & R Arms has this combo for $437.75, plus shipping

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=G85325

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old July 7, 2008, 10:28 PM   #9
mikenbarb

I think more people have learned to shoot clays with a Remington 1100 than any other gun made. I love just the sound of the action closing on mine and its the most solid sounding action out of all autoloaders(and I own alot). Its a great thing when you push that button and you hear that "ching" sound. And they always go boom. I had a Mossberg for a week and sold it. Just didnt compare to the 1100 at all.
Old July 8, 2008, 01:55 AM   #10
MAX100

There are much Gas operated semi auto shotguns than the 1100 for a much better price. I would rather have one of the Turkish autos. The H&R Excell Auto 5 is an excellent shotgun. The Stoeger 2000 if you want a inertia system.

GC
Old July 8, 2008, 11:18 AM   #11
jeepster11

i think

the best is the benelli sbe 2 it cycles everything from 2 and 3/4 to 3 1/2 mags no problem but the price is 1400 then you have the browning gold and the 1100 which are also nice and the 1187 good luck on your choice i chose the benelli because its versatility and it will cycle anything and it kills ducks like crazy
Old July 8, 2008, 11:28 AM   #12
Water-Man

Remington 1100
Old July 8, 2008, 01:11 PM   #13
oneounceload

Am I understanding you correctly - you want to get ONE gun for you, your wife and her older parents? Depending on the physical traits of everyone, that might be difficult - it might fit 1 or 2 and not the other two, whom it might smack around.

And yes, buy LIGHT target loads for trap and skeet - autoloaders do NOT necessarily have less recoil - if they're lighter than an O/U, they will have more actual recoil. The gas-operated semi may seem to have less FELT recoil, but at the end of the day, the thumping is the thumping

IMO, do not buy anything until you take everyone out to the gun club where they can try different types and brands of guns to see which one(s) work and fit best. Otherwise, if one or more are getting beat up, they won't enjoy it and won't be back

FWIW, YMMV
Old July 8, 2008, 06:28 PM   #14
mikenbarb

MAX, A Turkish over an American made 1100??? EWWWW!:barf: And the Stoeger kicks like a mule.