The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 8, 2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Stevens Favorite ( back packer )...hmmm... maybe should have bought it ???

yesterday was my retired machinist buddy's 45th aniversary, & MRS Machinist asked me if I could help get him "out of the house" so the 4 of us went to Cabellas then out for supper ( he's kind become a home body over the last couple years )

while my buddy & I were walking through the gun section ( the only secion he has any interest in any more ) we did the slow walk through the used rifle section... most of what we looked at was over priced, then we came upon a custom new model Steven Favorite, that was a take down, with a shorter untapered barrel, with a silver "finish" applied to all the metal parts... it was wearing an old 3/4" 4X 22 scope that screamed "I got put on when they traded me in"

the price was close to $200.00... which we both though was pretty reasonable... I didn't want to sound too interested in case he wanted it, but I really groove on the old style single shots, & someone had spent some good money & or time making this one into a neet little survival rifle...

I've got so many project going right now, that I don't really have the cash for it... I have enough Cabellas points to get the rifle for free... but have told my self that I wouldn't use those points until I had enough for a free S&W 500...

thoughts ???
Old October 8, 2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

woulda coulda... called up there a few minutes ago... gun sold this morning... shoulda bought it yesterday
Old October 10, 2012, 08:07 AM   #3
BPowderkeg

the original Steven Favorite is one of the best little .22 rifles ever made for a "kids rifle", i have one that my Great Aunt gave me when i was 11 y.o., i cut a small notch in the hard rubber butt plate for every rattlesnake, squirrel, rabbit, raccoon, fox, possum or pheasant and a few cats i shot with it.

i still love shooting it, pretty accurate out to 75 yds.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a Crackshot I like playing with... no Favorite yet... you're rubbing it in... I really should have bought it
Old October 10, 2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Scorch

If you are feeling bad about it, there is a Favorite in one of our local shops that has been there for a while, probably because it is chambered in 25 Stevens RF, not exactly a desirable chambering. It is in really nice shape, still has the original finish on the wood, case colrs are still good, and about 75% bluing. I saw it and got all tingly, but passed on it even though it was in really nice condition. The thought of a $200 rebarrel on a $250 rifle was not enticing. And besides, it would get all the purists all fired up about me destroying a "collector's item". Come to think of it, that may be a good reason to do it!
Old October 10, 2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

Appriciate it man... but too many projects right now... really need to get the inside of the safe finished, so I can start hanging every thing up...

I'm better off buying something ugly, & letting my retired buddy work on it to give him something to do, & some extra spending money