The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 15, 2010, 05:31 AM   #1
troy_mclure

non-standard home defence items?

assuming that firearms are standard/basic home defence items, what else do you have "standing by"?

i read a thread where somebody mentioned they had a sword ready to go, i got a chuckle then, but today dusting my night stand i picked up my camping hatchet and thought "why is this here"?

i dont have any reasons why not, so i left it .

i also have an issued asp, that i have no place else for, so it sits next to the alarm clock.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 15, 2010, 05:39 AM   #2
Christchild

Other than a Glock 21...Mossberg 500 DPG 12 gauge loaded with 3" 000 buck...Baby Kabar (I should have bought a full size Kabar)...Short aluminum bat that is "intended" for use on large fish, they're sold at sporting goods shops that carry offshore tackle...If You look close enough, You'll usually find a "set" of 'knucks on or around "my person" when I'm home...
Old January 15, 2010, 08:35 AM   #3
45Gunner

Aside from a firearm and flashlight,(and possibly a cell phone in case the phone line was cut) why would I need something else "standing by?"

I am not going to club someone that came into my house in the dead of night. If he is in my house uninvited, he will indeed be dead. No need to club him, stab him, use brass knuckles on him, etc.

My master bedroom has a loaded AR-15, shotgun, and at least one .45ACP 1911 in it. The need for anything else sort of gets lost. By the entrance to the house near the door is a sign, "If you are found here at night, you will be found here in the morning." Additionally, there are "Beware of Dog" signs posted on the walkway to the house and by the back gate. If one is stupid enough not to heed the signs, they will get what they deserve. If the dog doesn't get them, I will.
NRA Life Member
Old January 15, 2010, 09:46 AM   #4
The Great Mahoo

I keep my 2 choices for daily carry in a quick-access safe in the bedroom, along with my cell phone and flashlight. I think these should suffice, but if not, damn near everything around me will be turned into an improvised weapon if I need it.
Old January 15, 2010, 04:21 PM   #5
BGutzman

To my way of thinking my entire house is a weapon.

I have pens and pencils,forks, kitchen knives and hunting knives and even combat knives from my days as a soldier.

Almost any heavy movable object can be made into a missile or club and even a pillow cover filled with coins can make a frightening weapon.

I even have a war hammer (stabbing impliment on one side and a hammer head on the other side on a hickory handle) that I keep under lock and key but could be fearsomely employed in a emergency.
Old January 15, 2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Balog

Given the layout of our current apartment, there are very limited fields of fire that have a safe backstop. Therefor, I keep a short hafted pick-axe from the pioneer kit on a HMMV I acquired in the service by the bed. It's sub-optimal, but better than shooting into the neighboring apartment inho.
Old January 15, 2010, 04:34 PM   #7
markj

We have a 35 lb attack cat, just pick him up and toss him at the bg, not one has survived this. Then we have cat food for a month or so....

Most anything can be a weapon if used correctly. Used to see a guy in school with a pocket full of sharp pencils. He stuck one in a bully one fine afternoon, opened my eyes.
Old January 15, 2010, 04:37 PM   #8
ImTheBest

I have pepper spray, tazer, knife, and ninja stars.
ninja stars rock, but i suck at throwing them. They are my very very very last resort.
Old January 15, 2010, 05:06 PM   #9
Skans

Along with my glock 17, I keep a railroad spike knife and a $15 switchblade knife in my nightstand - do they count?
Old January 15, 2010, 05:15 PM   #10
potatoheadman

I eat lots of beans so I can produce a WMD when needed.
Old January 15, 2010, 05:27 PM   #11
Big Bill

My dogs are always on guard. And, as far as security goes, I have dead-bolts and solid hardwood doors; floodlights and peep-holes to see who is at the door before opening it; tactical knives, machetes, and a good (not fantasy) samari sword (I took fencing in college.); I also have several tactical canes and even a Sjambok.

http://www.donrearic.com/mightysjambok.html
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old January 16, 2010, 12:26 AM   #12
ferg

Try keeping a can of wasp/hornet spray handy.
Good for 20-30 feet, narrow stream and will require a trip to the hospital for treatment.
The recoil is even manageable!
Old January 16, 2010, 12:35 AM   #13
qwik

I thought baseball bat was a given. I recently added a golf club , just to make sure lol
Old January 16, 2010, 01:15 AM   #14
jborushko

i carry a really really big bad attitude as a backup to my 1911 and safe full of more loaded guns

course a healthy collection of knives and swords, hammers, screw drivers, crow bar, various heavy objects, hell even the chili powder in the kitchen. when i angry everything becomes a weapon

Last edited by jborushko; January 17, 2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old January 16, 2010, 01:26 AM   #15
The Tourist

I own pretty much of the same standard crap we all have, and it's a good idea. (I just got a SW tactical pen. It writes nice, too.)

My best "weapon" is my ADT security system with door and window alarms, motion sensors, glass break alarms and gas, radon and carbon monoxide sensors.

Recently the heat exchanger on my furnace cracked. Our heating/AC guy said we were venting "13 times" the lethal amount of carbon monoxide.

We seem to expect danger to come in the form of a midnight ninja, but security takes many forms.
Old January 16, 2010, 01:35 AM   #16
noyes

Old January 16, 2010, 02:14 AM   #17
Rangefinder

Quote:
i read a thread where somebody mentioned they had a sword ready to go, i got a chuckle
Laugh if you'd like, but I have a house full of them (I'm an antique weapons collector aside from edged-weapons instructor/practitioner). An intruder wouldn't be laughing much with my viking bearded axe stuck in his pumpkin or a German 'cut-and-thrust' pinning him to the wall...

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old January 16, 2010, 02:22 AM   #18
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangefinder
a sword...Laugh if you'd like, but I have a house full of them
You might have something there.

I bought a real-deal katana so I could learn how to polish. It might be bring an attacker up short if some crazed home owner lept out from the darkness with Japanese steel...
Old January 16, 2010, 02:32 AM   #19
jborushko

<^> ha ha ha! here here!
Old January 16, 2010, 02:45 AM   #20
Rangefinder

Just so we have a clear picture of said bearded axe mentioned... Using a .40 S&W HP would be the kind and gentle method compared to this beast.

Old January 16, 2010, 03:16 AM   #21
Balog

Rangefinder: is that antique or modern? Nice looking piece of steel in either case.
Old January 16, 2010, 03:24 AM   #22
Rangefinder

It's not only modern, but personal---hammered it out about 5 years ago modeling after one I'd seen in a museum and liked--I fight with the blunted twin of this one in armored-combat eventing, but like having the real deal as well.
I'd actually hesitate using one of the old ones on a general-purpose home-invasion twit--I'd hate to get unworthy stains on an antique...

Old January 16, 2010, 07:41 AM   #23
N.H. Yankee

A bible to give the perp his last rites Ok I'm not a priest, but I'll do my best. I keep my XD my wifes model 19, 2 3d cell streamlight flashlights, a small high intensity light, cell phone, and a doggy biscuit to reward rover after she has successfully disemboweled the perp

I always keep my cell with me as a land-line can easily be disabled. A flashlight for both myself and my wife, my weapon and her weapon. I keep 2 of everything in case I had to leave the room this doesn't leave her defenseless. Only problem is, when she's in the mood and I'm not it all depends upon who gets to their weapon first as to what happens next, that,s the downfall of the wife being armed. I guess there's pitfalls to everything.

Last edited by N.H. Yankee; January 16, 2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old January 16, 2010, 07:45 AM   #24
MTT TL

I have several swords but they are not really fighting weapons, they are ceremonial/ dress swords given to me by various organizations. The saber might be good for stabbing but none would likely survive a good swing. For HD, in order we have:

- Big Dog
- Shotgun
- Pistol
- Cell Phone
- Hornet/ wasp killer (better then pepper spray and we use it on the bugs too!)
- Pepper spray (near to non lethal as you can get these days)
Old January 16, 2010, 03:39 PM   #25
grumpa72

My trusty baseball bat! I would hate to face an adversary with a bat if I was empty handed.

Of course, now that I have a gun safe in the bedroom, I have added two more pistols to that collection. So it is now my Colt 1911 .45, my S&W CS9, and Colt 1908 .380. Too many grandkids running around for me to keep a rifle or shotgun.