The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 22, 2002, 08:51 PM   #1
C. D. Beaver

Back at the bench

After a hiatus of some 36 years, I've jumped with both feet (not easy at my age) back into the reloading arena. Didn't give it up the first time of my own volition; seems the bill collectors at the time were terribly rude.

Last week I drove up (58 miles) to Bose's Guns in Emerson, Nebr., and loaded up with new equipment. Saved the hazmat charge, too, which made it more than worth the trip.

Today I called up there and ordered a bunch of bullet casting gear. That's really what I love. I also like shooting from the bench, but until my wife looks the other way, guess I won't be getting that Ruger No. 1 in .22-250. On the other hand, as long as we've been married, she can learn to be a little more agreeable.

Friend of mine learned I was back at the reloading bench and snail mailed me a check for $100 "for dies and supplies." Heck, that's more than I paid for my reloading set-up.

Hey, I'm happy as a clam and can't wait until the cast bullet paraphernalia gets here. I may just jump in the F150 and motor up to Emerson tomorrow so I can beat Fed-X.

My primary rifle to date--and for nearly 50 years--is a Remington 721 in .30-06 I bought in 1953 at the PX just before I got out of the Army. Sent it to the West Coast to a smithy named Barber and had it converted to southpaw bolt. That piece has gone through many thousands of rounds, a lot of them in the cast mode. It'll still do one-inch groups at a hundred yards if I do my part.

I expect to be very busy and very happy for the next several months. Don't write or call.

Pro Patria
Old July 22, 2002, 09:10 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Welcome back to the world of hull stuffers.

Please bear in mind that some of the powders that we used 50 years ago seem to be still available. Caution is advised as tho the names are the same, the formulation and burning rates of most have changed a bit.

Current data for current powders and enjoy.

Rgds.

Sam
Old July 23, 2002, 10:52 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

"seems the bill collectors at the time were terribly rude...."

Heheheh. They still are.

Luckily, however, I haven't had to deal with that since not long after the ex-albatross wife and I split.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 23, 2002, 06:03 PM   #4
Yodar

new caster

Get the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook

NOW you MUST develop a close relationship with the gas stations and tire shops...you will need about 300 lb of wheelweights a year and about 5 spools of lead free tin-antimony solder or about 20lb of GOOD Linotype

When I dont get wheelweights for free I pay 10$ per one or two 5 gal dry-wall-mud bucket

I also get FREE lead (foil) from the dentist who then doesnt have to pay an EPA-licensed scavenger to dispose of it.

http://www.antimonyman.com

is your best source of casting alloy (arizona) and he has developed a way to add antimony-tin alloy from his process to enrich your wheel weight alloy

Have fun!
Old July 23, 2002, 11:13 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

50-50 or 60-40 bar solder is also a good way to bump up the tin content.

Sam
Old July 24, 2002, 04:27 PM   #6
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Enjoy!

I've found the standard Lyman's #2 alloy (9 pounds wheel weights & 1 pound 50/50 bar solder) makes a pretty nifty (with a goodly lube) to 2000+ fps .30 cal rifle load ... 1/2 MOA is acheiveable at 100 yards .... makes a pretty goodly 1500 fps+/170 gr load to do anything else within this bullet-range.

Almost sounds like the standard .30-30 load, no? (but with better accuracy ... ) You may be amazed all told.

Even at a sub-sonic loading, the .30 cal 170+ gr bullet has fairly surprising properties .....
Old July 24, 2002, 06:41 PM   #7
C. D. Beaver

Thanks, folks. I was a printer in real life for more than 40 years, so know my casting metals pretty well and have good access to wheel weights. As well as lino metal.

My real need right now is for a mold to cast bullets for the .375 H&H mag. Where can I buy, steal, borrow or rent something in the 275 to 300-grain range? Got a pal headed to Africa on safari next month. He's been practicing like crazy to shoot that charging cape buffalo and he's got empty brass running out the wazoo. He wants me to load up a bunch of "plinking" stuff for him.

Pro Patria

(For those who care, it means "For Country" and is the motto of the 31st Infantry Regiment)
Old July 25, 2002, 06:54 AM   #8
LAH

NEI has several moulds for the .375. Walt makes good stuff and we use several of his moulds here in the Hollow. Check him out at www.neihandtools.com His email is [email protected] You could call him at 503-543-7865 but remember he's a very busy man. I suggest you get the catalog and read it first.