The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 23, 2013, 03:45 AM   #1
Death from Afar

Why not an AUG?

The AR craze has really gone off here too. I have had one for years, and now everyone has one. That, a a real desire for a change has got me thinking about selling an AR for an AUG. The issue ones I have carried are kinda worn, but how do the new series shoot? Any experiences with the new production?
Old April 23, 2013, 05:11 AM   #2
Brit

I would buy one any how! You could not buy one in Australia, are the laws that different in New Zealand?

I have a Black AUG, with the built in 1.5 power scope, love it!
Old April 23, 2013, 05:28 AM   #3
smenkhare

Very different laws.
Kiwis are allowed to have suppressors, semi autos and even military style semis with an extra permit.

Makes me want to move.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:07 AM   #4
loose_holster_dan

bullpups are the greatest. i too have not had a chance to fire the new ones, but the old ones were awesome, and i still own a msar stg-556. to be entirely honest, i like it better than the real thing.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old April 23, 2013, 05:07 PM   #5
hodaka

Lots of advantages if you can get past the crappy trigger.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:10 PM   #6
DATL

Why not an AUG?

I too am curious to hear some AUG owners chime in. I love those things.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:13 PM   #7
DATL

Why not an AUG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodaka View Post
Lots of advantages if you can get past the crappy trigger.
I hear people say that about all/most bullpups.
Old April 24, 2013, 09:10 AM   #8
csmsss

Quote:
I hear people say that about all/most bullpups.
That's because it's a problem inherent to the design.
Old April 24, 2013, 09:25 AM   #9
Willie Sutton

I love my AUG. But... I can't play with it.

Let me explain that:

It's a sealed system. You get what you get, it's used as it comes out of the box, it works great, shoots great, is handy and compact, and is a great tool.

But I can't play with it.

I can PLAY with an AR. I can change out the (stocks, sights, forends, fire control parts, pistol grip, bolt on the kitchen sink, remove the sink, add a framistan-device), etc.

Basically I enjoy an AR because when I am done *playing with it* it's my own unique intrepretation of a rifle. And when I am bored and have a few extra dollars I can give it another present (or more likely build a different one).

The AUG, meanwhile, sits in the rack exactly like it came out of the box because it's essentially unmodifiable. In the case of the one that I have, even the optics are integral to the thing (I have an original with the 1.5x optics in the handle). I guess I can change the sling... maybe...

Willie

Old April 24, 2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A friend of mine bought one when they first came out. 1970s? Anyhow, he brought it out to my range. I ran a mag's worth through it.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the muzzle-light feel when shooting offhand. Just too light for a steady hold.

Otherwise? No real complaint.
Old April 24, 2013, 10:33 AM   #11
DATL

Why not an AUG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Sutton View Post
I love my AUG. But... I can't play with it.

Let me explain that:

It's a sealed system. You get what you get, it's used as it comes out of the box, it works great, shoots great, is handy and compact, and is a great tool.

I can PLAY with an AR. I can change out the (stocks, sights, forends, fire control parts, pistol grip, bolt on the kitchen sink, remove the sink, add a framistan-device), etc.

Basically I enjoy an AR because when I am done *playing with it* it's my own unique intrepretation of a rifle. And when I am bored and have a few extra dollars I can give it another present (or more likely build a different one).

The AUG, meanwhile, sits in the rack exactly like it came out of the box because it's essentially unmodifiable. In the case of the one that I have, even the optics are integral to the thing (I have an original with the 1.5x optics in the handle). I guess I can change the sling... maybe...

Willie

Actually, this is part of the allure to me. I like a sleek, simple design that i'm NOT tempted to bolt on the kitchen sink! lol
Old April 25, 2013, 05:46 AM   #12
Brit

[QUOTEA friend of mine bought one when they first came out. 1970s? Anyhow, he brought it out to my range. I ran a mag's worth through it.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the muzzle-light feel when shooting offhand. Just too light for a steady hold.

Otherwise? No real complaint.
][/QUOTE]

Art,

The design is what it is, you can modify your firing position, whilst standing, or kneeling.

First leave the forward swivel grip closed! Bring your support hand back to the front of the pistol grip, hold tight on the front bar, and tuck your left elbow into your body, makes for a very solid lock on the rifle.

This grip also moves a lot of shoot able left arm out of harms way.

Big advantage when shooting around corners, as in taking cover.
Old April 25, 2013, 06:40 AM   #13
jughead2

aug

there is a company that makes a metal part that helps the trigger somewhat. it is installed to get rid of the plastic on plastic slide and does change the trigger pull a little. i did have the address but have lost it.
Old April 25, 2013, 08:46 AM   #14
SauerJackson

Aren't the newer ones (gen 3?) Made specifically to NOT accept AR style mags??

Usually that'd put me off on it. But if they are proprietary, maybe you could actually find them right now.....
Old April 25, 2013, 09:42 AM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Brit, if you have to hurry to get to a location to shoot and shooting offhand is a necessity, I have always found that it's a bit difficult to quickly get steadily and reliably on target when the rifle is muzzle-light. Central balance or a bit muzzle heavy, OTOH, is much easier.

But, I'm much more a hunter than a "combatter".
Old April 25, 2013, 02:46 PM   #16
loose_holster_dan

Quote:

check out these guys.
http://www.ratworxusa.com/
they have some replacement parts that let you use your AR spares or even tune the trigger like an AR. the hybrid bolts and trigger packs are my favorites.

Quote:
Brit, if you have to hurry to get to a location to shoot and shooting offhand is a necessity, I have always found that it's a bit difficult to quickly get steadily and reliably on target when the rifle is muzzle-light. Central balance or a bit muzzle heavy, OTOH, is much easier.

But, I'm much more a hunter than a "combatter".
i like how tight it holds to your body without having weight further away. IMO it's easier not harder to balance offhand, especially while moving. there is a reason most have low to no magnification optics. it's meant to be a combat weapon - a shoot on the go solution.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old April 25, 2013, 08:10 PM   #17
navajo

why not

Friend of mone has one. I found it to be awkward to handle. But I am old fashioned. I still like wood and steel.
Old April 25, 2013, 10:54 PM   #18
Brit

Every tool/weapon, is (or should be) designed for the job it has to do.

The Steyr AUG has been designed for shooting people/enemy soldiers/terrorists!

Hence the optics, the circle measures a man, at a given range, not perfect, but not bad, you have to keep both eyes open! When fighting with a rifle, I am talking street fighting, room to room, across a street!

We are talking quick hits at fighting distances. Set at double taps, perfect.

We like to think it is good if a M16 magazine will fit? The Steyr AUG magazines, are way better than the AR/M16 magazines. So why move to an inferior product? Because there is more of them? No sir.
Old April 26, 2013, 02:40 PM   #19
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Why not an AUG
Because Tavors are better

In all seriousness, the AUGs a great rifle as well.