The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 30, 2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Tucker 1371

No Hog Hunting in TN?

Did some googling and I just found out that, unless you know someone with land who is willing to put your name down on a list and send it in to TN wildlife resources, you basically can't hunt hogs in TN. Is this right?

Edit- I've only been living here about a year.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old December 30, 2012, 04:24 PM   #2
jasmith85

I have always been under the impression that as long as you have permission from the land owner you could legally hunt hogs anytime here. I haven't heard anything about a list being sent to the TWRA being required but I also really haven't looked into it. Your best bet would actually be to contact the TWRA directly that way you know for 100% certain.
Old December 30, 2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Tucker 1371

Supposedly TWRA views hog hunting as a contributing factor to the spread of hogs rather than a mitigating one due to the fear that some folks will trap and transport hogs elsewhere so they can hunt them on their own land. What I've gathered from google is that a landowner can hunt them himself on his own land and appoint 10 non relatives As "designees" but must fill out an exemption form for himself and the "designees"
Old December 31, 2012, 01:40 AM   #4
458winshooter

Hog hunt in Tn

On Catoosa WMA Jan.6 thru the 13th (I think) you can hunt them without a draw hunt.I am going a couple of days.They are trying to eliminate them there and there is no limit.The only catch is that you do have to check them in for testing for any diseases at their check stations there.
Old December 31, 2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

Tennessee has long been the home of paid, guided hog hunting. But, that hunting has contributed to the increase in the destructive animals. Many are brought into TN, illegally, from Florida. Trapping and transporting has become almost an industry in some parts of Florida just to meet the TN demand.
Old December 31, 2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Tucker 1371

@458winshooter- awesome, I'll be there for sure if I don't have drill or work

@Rifleman1776- Wasn't transporting live hogs illegal to begin with?
Old December 31, 2012, 03:17 PM   #7
ChasingWhitetail91

I have always wanted to go on a hog hunt, but being from CT i'm a little limited. I have a buddy that lives in Hickman County, any news of hogs around that area?
Old January 1, 2013, 09:30 AM   #8
FALPhil

Quote:
I have always wanted to go on a hog hunt, but being from CT i'm a little limited.
South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.

Swine are not considered game animals and can be hunted year 'round. In these states you need an out-of-state hunting license to hunt them if you are not a resident. Also, these three states have cartridge restrictions if you hunt on WMA land during certain times in the year. Other times, there are no restrictions. You would need to see the regulations. In Florida and Georgia, there are huge tracts of National Forest land where you can hunt without cartridge restrictions all year.

There is also private land that you can either pay to hunt or hunt for free. For the free hunts on private land, you have to know somebody or do some legwork. The pay hunts are not all that expensive.

I have had good luck hunting hogs in the Georgia WMA known as Oakey Woods. Someone released some real Russian boar in that area back in the '30s, and they have interbred with feral swine. They can be particularly nasty when wounded, so you need to take enough gun.
Old January 1, 2013, 11:33 AM   #9
jmr40

Quote:
have had good luck hunting hogs in the Georgia WMA known as Oakey Woods.
I hunted Oakey Woods once. They had a sign at the check station with rules, bag limits etc. On the bag limit for hogs it read, "Hogs, all you want, +1."

They are truly considered vermin here and killing as many as possible is considered a good thing. Lots of public land especially in the Northern half of the state where they can be hunted year round.

The only quirk to GA law is that you must use a small game weapon if hunting them when deer are not in season. GA does consider muzzleloaders a small game weapon regardless of caliber, so that, a bow or a 22 would be the only real weapons choices at other times of the year.
Old January 1, 2013, 11:47 AM   #10
i50sx

Searching the web for hog hunting in sc I found an apparent map of where the dnr had "distributed" hogs in '05.
That doesn't seem good considering other states trouble with them.tenn included.

Random unknown cyber quote. "what's with the deleting of posts and accusation of drive by's and such. Did I miss something? Isn't the existence of this forum to blah blah about yadda yadda??"
Old January 4, 2013, 01:59 AM   #11
bamaranger

right

GSU has it right. re the landowner and his designees. Whether or not TWRA's take on the situation is correct remains to be seen. The regs changed I think last fall.
Old January 4, 2013, 02:02 AM   #12
jason_iowa

In Iowa we are required to shoot wild hogs.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:49 PM   #13
FALPhil

Quote:
The only quirk to GA law is that you must use a small game weapon if hunting them when deer are not in season.
I think this only applies to WMAs, does it not? When you are eradicting feral hogs on private land, I am pretty sure you can use anything you want.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:09 PM   #14
458winshooter

Also hunt

Also contact Big Southfork office you can hunt them there.You do have to pay an aditional fee $5-$10 I think and you can hunt them there to.Even during the spring small game season.
Old January 7, 2013, 05:39 PM   #15
Tucker 1371

Big South Fork huh? That's less than 2hrs up 75 from me. I'll be checking it and Catoosa out as I was skunked this deer season, I can literally count all the deer I saw on one hand.