The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 16, 2010, 06:48 PM   #1
1873Colt

Im 19 and want to buy a handgun.

I live in Texas and I aint sure about how it works but cant you buy used from somebody face to face? I hope this is the case seeing as Im ready for my 1911 and I dont think I can wait another two seasons.
All comments are appreciated.

-Trenten
Old December 16, 2010, 07:02 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

NO handguns till 21... dont matter who you get it from...if you get caught with it the police will confiscate it.. .meaning after you get out of jail and pay you fine...they will keep the gun for you....you dont get it back.
Old December 16, 2010, 07:07 PM   #3
hoytinak

Quote:
NO handguns till 21... dont matter who you get it from...if you get caught with it the police will confiscate it.. .meaning after you get out of jail and pay you fine...they will keep the gun for you....you dont get it back
Not true. There is no federal law stating you have to be 21. In Texas you can buy a handgun from an individual (no dealers though) at the age of 18. My girlfriend got her first handgun, CHL (she's military) and Level III Commission (armed guard card) at the age of 20 here in the great state of Texas.
Old December 16, 2010, 07:09 PM   #4
DiscoRacing

Tkx Hoyt..

... I stand corrected then..

...Not up on Texas status...shouldnt have guessed.
Old December 16, 2010, 07:16 PM   #5
smithandwessonblazer

While you can't buy a handgun from a dealer, you can buy from a private transfer. Also your parents can buy a handgun for you from a dealer. Federal law states that 18 is the minimum age to possess a handgun. You cannot conceal carry though unless you are qualified through police or military. I'm 19 myself and have researched this thouroughly. I have even talked to local police that also know this law. People who tell you otherwise do not know what they are talking about.
Old December 16, 2010, 08:09 PM   #6
1873Colt

Thanks

for all of your posts. Gave me a good idea of what I need to do
Happy Holidays
-Trenten
Old December 16, 2010, 08:15 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

Somethng I remebered from CHL renewal class. You can get a CHL in Texas if you are over 18. You must be in the miltary. Either active duty or reserve.
Also in Texas there is still the Youth Handgun Act. Google it if you want. If I remeber it correctly you can have it in your car. The handgun must be transported unloaded with ammo, and handgun in seperate places in the vehicle. (Not 100% sure on the last part.)
Old December 17, 2010, 01:18 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Fed law says you can't buy from an FFL dealer unless you are 21. Sales from private parties are under state law, and many places you don't have to be 21, BUT check carefully.

Your Parent (or any other qualified adult) can legally buy a handgun and gift it to you. But, they cannot buy a handgun for you, that is a "straw purchase" and against the law. (clear as mud, right?) Basically, means they cannot buy the gun with your money, they have to buy it with their money, and then give it to you as a gift.

I would recommend that you establish an ammunition pipline, before you get the gun, because you cannot buy handgun ammunition from a dealer if you are under 21.

You can buy handloading components and load your own ammo at your age, and considering the cost of things today, it is a hobby worth getting into.
Old December 17, 2010, 01:39 PM   #9
Madcap_Magician

Ditto the ammo thing.

It's quite possible to legally buy a pistol under the age of 21, but feeding it will become a challenge.
Old December 17, 2010, 01:44 PM   #10
Drummer101

Quote:
Fed law says you can't buy from an FFL dealer unless you are 21. Sales from private parties are under state law, and many places you don't have to be 21, BUT check carefully.

Your Parent (or any other qualified adult) can legally buy a handgun and gift it to you. But, they cannot buy a handgun for you, that is a "straw purchase" and against the law. (clear as mud, right?) Basically, means they cannot buy the gun with your money, they have to buy it with their money, and then give it to you as a gift.

I would recommend that you establish an ammunition pipline, before you get the gun, because you cannot buy handgun ammunition from a dealer if you are under 21.

You can buy handloading components and load your own ammo at your age, and considering the cost of things today, it is a hobby worth getting into.
Might be a little off topic but how does the gifting work? Would this be okay in Minnesota?
Old December 17, 2010, 01:50 PM   #11
chris in va

Quote:
In Texas you can buy a handgun from an individual (no dealers though) at the age of 18.
Finding someone reputable that will do that is going to be a chore.
Old December 17, 2010, 02:28 PM   #12
zombieslayer

I don't know, in this economy I'm sure you can find someone willing to legally sell their gun to a legal US citizen, complying with state laws.
Of course, if the parents are allowed to gift a handgun, its kind of pointless shopping for a used hangun unless its to find a deal.
Old December 17, 2010, 04:15 PM   #13
slammedsi

Worked for the sheriffs office for a while now. if you're under the age of 21 you cannot possess a handgun. Thats texas state any deputy or police officer will tell you that
Old December 17, 2010, 04:56 PM   #14
hoytinak

Quote:
Worked for the sheriffs office for a while now. if you're under the age of 21 you cannot possess a handgun. Thats texas state any deputy or police officer will tell you that
Sounds like your department needs to brush up on the firearm's laws.
Old December 17, 2010, 06:36 PM   #15
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Of course, if the parents are allowed to gift a handgun, its kind of pointless shopping for a used hangun unless its to find a deal.
Yup, after all, Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat.....
Old December 19, 2010, 12:17 AM   #16
egor20

1837Colt

44 AMP

I actually thought about this (it hurt) if 1837Colt has the money to purchase a Hi-Point .45 carbine first, than he may be able to purchase ammo for his 1911 he wishes to get legally, same ammo as the rifle.

my .02

Might even have fun with the carbine also

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 19, 2010, 01:11 AM   #17
dogtown tom

Quote:
slammedsi Worked for the sheriffs office for a while now. if you're under the age of 21 you cannot possess a handgun. Thats texas state any deputy or police officer will tell you that
Horsehockey.
Find the citation please. Here, I'll get you started: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Interne...rms/CHL-16.pdf

BTW.....what kind of "work" do you do for the sheriffs office?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 19, 2010, 03:58 AM   #18
T. O'Heir

"...There is no Federal law stating you have to be 21..." Unless you buy from an FFL holder.
At 19, you're ok as far as Texas law is concerned. However, you must know the assorted laws.
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/TXSL.pdf