The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 31, 2014, 04:07 PM   #1
SARuger

A new to me really old 870 20ga

I just got this today. I bought it off the original owners grandson, he was in his late 40's! He did not know how old it was.

After a good cleaning today, I decided to install one of my newer barrels that take the RemChoke so I can make this gun more universal and store its original barrel.

The new 870 barrel will not fit!!! I have never ran into this.

Pics:

The new barrel will not slip over the mag tube?

The original barrel is a 20ga, mod choke, 2 3/4

I don't think I can get a gunsmith to bore the mag tube lug out on the new barrel to make it fit, not enough meat to work with. The business end at the receiver is identical.

Thoughts? I want to use this 870 for a multitude of things. I would like to have the RemChoke system on it
Old December 31, 2014, 04:27 PM   #2
SARuger

The serial number ends in an X. After some research I found that I have a early 20ga Wingmaster that is based off a 12ga frame. Thus the new K frame barrels wont fit. I can get the original barrel moded to be used with screw in chokes from a couple of mfgrs. Not sure if i will bother. I can probably find some barrels with different chokes cheaper.
Old December 31, 2014, 04:31 PM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

I believe the problem is because the older 20 ga 870 was built on a 12 ga frame, but the newer ones have a lighter frame. Machining the old barrel to accept chokes is a relatively simple job, as long as your barrel walls are thick enough. Just don't take it to Bubba.

Saw your second post after I posted the above. It may not be so easy to find barrels.
Old December 31, 2014, 04:36 PM   #4
SARuger

Carlson's can do it for $150 shipped to/from and that includes 3 chokes of my choice. I wonder if it would be easier to change the lug that slips over the mag tube?

Barrels are impossible to find as I just found out
Old December 31, 2014, 06:14 PM   #5
Dreaming100Straight

Sounds a little high. Take a look at this from Mike Orlen and $55 per barrel. http://www.randywakeman.com/shotgunMikeOrlen.htm

Check to see if the price is current.

There are some regular posters from Virginia here. I am thinking especially of Virginian-In-LA, who I believe was a gun dealer or perhaps a smith in another live. If he or someone more knowledgeable than myself don't show up here to help you. Send Virginian-in-LA (that's Louisiana and not Los Angeles) a PM. He seeks to know a ton about the 870.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; December 31, 2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old December 31, 2014, 07:24 PM   #6
Blindstitch

I think changing the lug would be a lot easier if you don't want to thread the original barrel. A tig welder could make nice work of it.
Old December 31, 2014, 08:08 PM   #7
Virginian

Changing the barrel lug won't do squat. That barrel is for a smaller receiver as well as a smaller mag tube.
Dreaming100Straight gave you the best advice going. Mike Orlen is your answer. I would wholeheartedly recommend him, or Brileys, but where Mike has the tooling he is cheaper and faster. His quality of work is second to none. Standard receiver (12 gauge sized) 870 20 gauge barrels are expensive and they were not made for choke tubes. CALL him per the link above as he gets too much email.
A bad choke tube installation is worse than nothing. Do not trust just anyone or you could mess up a good gun.
Old December 31, 2014, 08:48 PM   #8
Blindstitch

He said the receiver end is identical so welding a new mag tube lug on the barrel is a viable option if he doesn't call someone to thread the original for a choke.
Old January 1, 2015, 05:55 AM   #9
eastbank

i can second mike orlens work, i have a early 1100 in 20ga built with the 12ga frame and i sent the barrel to him and had it threaded for choke tubes and could not be happier. eastbank.
Old January 1, 2015, 08:32 AM   #10
SARuger

I will get the pro to fix it. Mike is getting a call on Monday. This 870 is really nice and much smoother than my 3 newer models
Old January 1, 2015, 12:26 PM   #11
SARuger

Does anyone out there in TFL land have a 870 20ga "X" barrel they want to get rid of? I hate to cut the original numbers matching barrel. Its in new condition
Old January 1, 2015, 12:40 PM   #12
Virginian

Quote:
He said the receiver end is identical so welding a new mag tube lug on the barrel is a viable option if he doesn't call someone to thread the original for a choke.
He's wrong.
Check www.Corsonsbarrels.com and www.Barrelexchange.com for barrels. You do realize that a proper choke tube installation does not "cut" the barrel length, and will not detract from the value I hope.
Old January 1, 2015, 12:47 PM   #13
SARuger

Virginian, you're right I was wrong. My naked eye is out of calibration so I put the calipers on both barrels and there are a couple of dimensions that are too far off to make work safely.

I kind of want to cut the barrel shorter, thats why I want a different barrel to cut. Its ~29" now, 26" would be my preference in a 20ga.
Old January 4, 2015, 11:57 AM   #14
SARuger

I talked with Mike Orlin on Friday. The barrel for this gun will be sent out on Monday along with the barrel for my single shot Pardner. Why not I save shipping

I figure if my kid will be using the single shot for trap and hunting it needs changeable chokes and although I will never recoup the money spent on the single shot if I have to sell it, it will be more useable so there for I won't want to sell it.

Thanks for the link to Mike, he is a very knowledgeable guy and I can tell I will be happy with his work.

Pics of the newly bored/tapped barrels with True Chokes to come......
Old January 4, 2015, 07:57 PM   #15
Blindstitch

Can't wait to see what the work looks like done but it sounds like I might have to mail out a barrel myself.
Old January 5, 2015, 07:01 PM   #16
Virginian

Every once in a great while someone actually takes good advice. Good on you. I am getting ready to send Mike another barrel too.
Old January 6, 2015, 07:52 PM   #17
SARuger

The barrel(s) on its way to Mike! I can't wait to see his work and use this beautiful old 870 in the field and on the range. I do believe that my old SB1Pardner single shot will be a lot more fun and useful too.
Old January 13, 2015, 06:17 PM   #18
SARuger

I got my barrels back from Mike Orlen today! Nice work! I will do a separate thread when I get some pics
Old January 13, 2015, 07:56 PM   #19
Blindstitch

If possible pictures of what choke and pattern at a certain yardage might be nice too.
Old January 13, 2015, 08:48 PM   #20
SARuger

It will be a while before i get to pattern either one. I'm not a winter person. There is a indoor range that will let me shoot a shotgun at. I think its 35yds deep. That should do it. I will check it out this weekend