The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 9, 2013, 06:01 AM   #51
AirForce2

mag release stiff

I got rid of this gun after a few years but sent back to springfield and they fixed it ejects a full 16 rd mag fairly normal. I have since bought another 5.25 inch comp model .40 and this one was super hard to eject a full mag but not impossible like my first one and also excess to slam a full mag into place so I decided to fix the problem myself this time. I removed the mag catch and cut a slightly angled edge to it and reinstalled and also removed about 1/8 inch of the follow in case the compressed mag spring was stacking to tight and both are better now, but the recut of the slide catch was the biggest gain which is what the factory had to do on my last one.

It's the angle of attach that the mag catch has that is the issue and some are worse than others and with so much pressure from an undersized/overstacked magazine when full and the bad angle is what caused some mags to be near impossible to eject. This new gun was as bad but still unacceptable to have to use 2 thumbs. I like figuring some things out but dang I hate when the company knows of the issue and with a slight tweek on manf equip could fix it so I don't have to have the quirks.
Old February 9, 2013, 04:14 PM   #52
FireForged

Quote:
Interesting evaluation, but if you don't know the difference between a "clip" and a "magazine" I'll take it with a grain of salt.
Ill tell you the difference... in real life ( away from a mechanical design workshop), nothing. The term was made synonymous by the very same fighting men who fought during and after the time when rifles that used clips were being replaced with rifles that used a box magazine. Soldiers of that time called everything a clip because thats what they new and when they were issued box magazines, they still called it a clip. To date, as far as I know, there has never been a case where a fighting man became confused when someone shouted for a clip. Vintage Colt manuals reference a magazine as a clip and so do several Military manuals of the 1960's. The word "magazine" only began to creep into common language sometime in the late 70's and more so in the 1980's. Today, the terms are still synonymous with about 50% of the population.

Car-bean, car-bine, mag, clip, tomatoe, toe-mah-toe, tater... whatever, we all know what people are talking about and if anyone here has actually been confused, please raise your hand.

Last edited by FireForged; February 10, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:05 AM   #53
KJenkinsAF

I have shot about 1500 rounds through my XDM40 4.5" Shooting Remington, PMZ, Federal, so far. No jams, no failures. I keep it clean and we'll oiled. Whatever the problem was I think they worked it out.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:23 AM   #54
AirForce2

correction

sorry, I meant changed I changed the angle of the "magazine" latch not the slide latch.