The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2005, 10:46 AM   #1
Northslope Nimrod

Hornady Interbond?

Just bought Hornady Interboonds in 180 gr. Opinions on these bullets? I plan to use them for elk. Penatration? Expansion? Accuracy?
Next, I plan to load for deer. My shots are generally under 250 yards. I'm thinking about using 165'ish. Any recommended bullets?
Old March 7, 2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Sturm

All things considered, I can't see how you could have made a better choice. BC's are excellent and this may even be a better constructed bullet than the NOSLER partition, which is one of the best. Pricewise, the Interbonds are less expensive than the Swift A-Frame. Plenty of bullet for a premium hunt!

As far as weight, the rule of thumb for Elk is a minimum Sectional Density of .260, which the 180 meets and the 165 may not. The 165 would make for an excellent trophy Whitetail or Muledeer load. Over time, I believe the Interbond will prove to be one of the best controlled expansion/high penetration bullets on the market with few peers in Ballistic Coeffecients!
Old March 7, 2005, 07:50 PM   #3
arthurrh

According to Hornady, the 165 has an SD of .248, while the 180 has .271
Old March 8, 2005, 03:31 PM   #4
snuffy

Expansion Tests

I posted this last summer on various boards. I'll see if I can find the threads I posted on the 165 interbonds I tested in the summer of '03 and post them here as well.

And the results are in------------well some of them anyway. I’ll call this my shake down cruise. LITERALLY! There is a bunch of energy being released when a bullet hits those jugs. The board I used to lay the jugs on started coming apart after the third hit. I ended up nearly breaking it in half! There went $30.00 worth of lumber and a couple hours and hardware to build. Back to the drawing board. Pics to follow.

As to the results, well here goes. I got to test 5 different bullets. 1. the 180 Hornady interbond. 2. the 180 Nozler accu-bond. 3.The 180 Hornady SST. 4.The 180 Remington core-loct round nose. 5. The 190 sierra match king.

Here’s the 3 Nozler accu-bonds

retained weight, 119.1, 121.7, 121.9 Expansion .875, .645, .665. Percentage of weight retention is around 67% The .875 is the one on the left with a piece of jacket sticking out, otherwise it would be like the other 2. Now for where a person has to choose one over the other,(AB over IB). All 3 AB’s went through 3 jugs and into the fourth. The interbond was found in the third jug, just like the 165’s I tested last summer.

Here’s the only interbond I could capture. Problems with the stand caused one other one to be lost in the grass. Retained weight 140.1, expansion .715, weight retention, 77%. Like I said it and the lost one only penetrated 3 jugs.

I had a partial box of 25 year old Rem core-locts sitting around. I thought, ”I wonder how the dark ages technology compares with today’s newest?” Well it fits between the interbond and accubond. Ret. Weight. 131.0 expansion .625, 72% retention. Also the prettiest most uniform mushroom of all.

No pics for the MK! Couldn’t find enough of 2 bullets to weigh or take pics of. Total disintegration! Same for the SST. Blown to pieces, just shards of lead and copper jacket in the last,(third), jug.

All loads were 68.5 grains of R-19, except the MK was 66.0 R-19. Velocities were between 3000 and 3050 fps @ 15 feet/muzzle.

Oh here’s the set-up;

This WAS a 10 X 2 , 6 feet long. The legs were nailed, screwed and gorilla glued to the notched ends of the board. All I have left are the legs! The board was cracked and nearly broken in half right under where the first jug was sitting. I screwed and gorilla glued 1 X 4 pine under the board to keep it from splitting lengthwise. Oh well, next time I may just make it out of steel!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 8, 2005, 04:31 PM   #5
snuffy

Here's the 165 interbonds;

Weight retention was from 83% to 88% on these three bullets. Penetration was 22 inches of water into a third jug.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 15, 2005, 11:31 AM   #6
JohnV

Hornady Interbond has a history of success both in accuracy and performance on animals. I like the 165BT with 56 IMR4895. This is a very accurate load- 5/8" at 100yds. However the 190BT would be my choice for elk. It is more bullet.

My elk load is a 225gr Interbond with 75 gr of H4831 in my 338. This is very accurate in my Ruger-5/8" at 100yds. I had used a 250 Sierra BT but found jacket shedding problems at close range under 75yrd. In the end bullets perform if properly placed. No animal is water or jelly...This last season I took my bull at 30yds with a double lung first shot. At this very close range the bullet left an exit of about 2". No real expansion. The second shot through the shoulders put him down. My tracking job 10yds...I like that.