The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2000, 06:56 PM   #1
Bennett Richards

I was just wondering if anyone out there had actually compared the Vang Comp & the PatternMaster system to see which worked better and gave the tightest groups with Buckshot.. can both use slugs etc...?

Thanks,

Ben
Old January 6, 2000, 12:04 AM   #2
Daniel Watters

Heck, other than the additional cost, why not use both?
Old January 6, 2000, 08:21 PM   #3
jfrancis

I have not compared the two systems in the same gun. However, I have have taken several shotgun classes where shooters have had the Vang Comp system fitted. I can tell you that my Benelli M1 - with Patternmaster - groups as tight or tighter than any of the VC'd guns I've seen on the line. All 9 pellets of Federal's Tactical 00 Buck are in 5" at 25 yards. Great system.

John Francis
Old January 6, 2000, 09:31 PM   #4
Bennett Richards

John,

What about shooting slugs with a patternMaster?

Ben

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfrancis:
I have not compared the two systems in the same gun. However, I have have taken several shotgun classes where shooters have had the Vang Comp system fitted. I can tell you that my Benelli M1 - with Patternmaster - groups as tight or tighter than any of the VC'd guns I've seen on the line. All 9 pellets of Federal's Tactical 00 Buck are in 5" at 25 yards. Great system.

John Francis
[/quote]

Old January 7, 2000, 10:32 PM   #5
jfrancis

Ben: Absolutely no problem.

John

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bennett Richards:
John,

What about shooting slugs with a patternMaster?

Ben

[/quote]

Old January 20, 2000, 09:50 PM   #6
Rock

Who markets the PatternMaster choke tube? Or who is the manufacture?
Old January 20, 2000, 10:31 PM   #7
Bennett Richards

www.patternmaster.com

I decided to go with the VangComp as I heard too many tales of Patternmasters flying downrange or shooting loose. With Vang there are no parts to worry about.

Ben
Old January 21, 2000, 04:12 AM   #8
oberkommando

Ben we will go shooting if I ever get my auto back. Have my 870 but still waiting for the M1.
Old January 21, 2000, 10:35 AM   #9
Bennett Richards

Oberdude,
I think I made the right choice... Just the thought of those choke tabs protruding into the barrel and a slug tearing by them at 1500+fps gave me a bad feeling about the Patternmaster. I am SURE it's fantastic for Shot nad buck... and I might have felt different if my 870 had been already RemChoked... But Vang is a long proven and simple system. When I get it back it's going to Dan at Tactical Weaponry for an Olive Drab Moly finish.. Have you talked with him yet?

Ben
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oberkommando:
Ben we will go shooting if I ever get my auto back. Have my 870 but still waiting for the M1.[/quote]