The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 13, 2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Redneck_Riot

Blue sky arsenal M1 Garand

Picked up a m1 a while back for about 500 says blue sky arsenal on barrel, would like to know more about it. Value, collectability, worth the time to restore?

Rifle looks in excellent condition, receiver is Springfield

Any knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old July 13, 2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

If I remember correctly, the Blue Sky guns came into the US from South Korea in the 1990s.

I seem to remember that importer's mark from when I was working at NRA and the gunshop.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 13, 2010, 11:50 AM   #3
ISC

Yeah, they were US made guns that were given/sold to korea and then reimported. They are notorious for being beat to crap and poorly maintained. That's not to say they are all bad, but on average they're usually on the lower end of the good scale.

There are also alot of blue sky carbines out there too.
Old July 13, 2010, 11:52 AM   #4
ACP230

I have an SA Blue Sky import that I bought from Woolworth's back then. (Should have bought an M1 Carbine at the same time.)

The rifle had been reparked. The stock looked like it had gone through two wars, and may have since the rifle was made in 1943. It had a barrel from 1952on it, if I remember correctly. I had no idea how to gauge the barrel so just guessed at it and lucked out.

I was shooting NRA High Power back then using a cut-down 1917 Enfield. The M1 was a lot better for that. I used it for several years and then bought an M1A. I used to use the M1 for dry-firing practice and one day broke the firing pin. To date it's the only thing that has broken on the old veteran. I was going to take it out and shoot a three gun match with it earlier this year but got sick instead.

The matches I shot were all at 200 yards. The best shooting I can remember was 11 shots in a group the diameter of a coffee mug. Unfortunately, it was in the five and six ring due to operator brain fade while going from standing to prone positions.

Folks sometimes cussed the Blue Sky rifles. I never did.
Old July 20, 2010, 08:32 PM   #5
Redneck_Riot

thanks all for the information.