The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 16, 2015, 11:58 PM   #26
dayman

You could possibly get enough risen in a HP to kill a shark.
Killing a rubber shark is extra tricky though.
Old May 17, 2015, 12:18 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

From what I have heard, during the making of the movie, keeping the rubber shark (Bruce) "alive" was the tough part.

Old May 19, 2015, 10:04 PM   #28
tipoc

Quote:
Problem was, the spin of the bullet often flung the material out of the bullet cavity long before reaching the target.
That and the wax would melt before leaving the muzzle. What did not melt would be flung away as said.

It's a movie...the need for drama and tension trump facts.

I recall some movie where the hero sealed nitro glycerin in his bullets making explosive bullets. If anyone wants to try that at home let me know how it goes.

tipoc
Old May 19, 2015, 10:37 PM   #29
Adrian

Quote:
I recall some movie where the hero sealed nitro glycerin in his bullets making explosive bullets. If anyone wants to try that at home let me know how it goes.
I don't doubt it would make explosive bullets. Now, making them do more damage to the bad guy than to the hero when they detonate in the barrel, that's the hard part.
Matt.25:40
Old May 20, 2015, 11:55 AM   #30
dahermit

Quote:
I recall some movie where the hero sealed nitro glycerin in his bullets making explosive bullets.
If it was, "Day of the Jackal", it was not "nitro-glycerin", the explosive, it was just "glycerin", an oil-like sugar alcohol. In the movie he was supposedly making the hollow points more frangible. In short, the resultant bullets were liquid filled, not explosive filled.
Old May 20, 2015, 02:10 PM   #31
T. O'Heir

How much poison it would take to impress or anybody or anything? Requires 1.5 mg/kg body weight. Not likely to get 1.5 mg in any HP. That's a milligram. 1.5 thousands of a gram or .00005 ounce. One gram = .0353 oz.
Old May 20, 2015, 06:53 PM   #32
Stevie-Ray

Believe the mercury thing was done by Robert Ginty's character in The Exterminator. Shot some pedophile in the stuff with one. At the time, I didn't really know what for, other than mercury's poison properties, maybe thinking he would die no matter where he was shot?
Old May 21, 2015, 08:02 PM   #33
colbad

If I remember the movie correctly, he was sealing in some kind of poison on the hollow points.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:00 PM   #34
tipoc

Quote:
If it was, "Day of the Jackal", it was not "nitro-glycerin", the explosive, it was just "glycerin", an oil-like sugar alcohol. In the movie he was supposedly making the hollow points more frangible. In short, the resultant bullets were liquid filled, not explosive filled.
Naw it wasn't anything as distinguished as that flick. If I remember right it was a giant snake or octopus he was after. Or maybe a sharktopus or some lumbering monster. It was nitro, as each shot exploded into the foul flesh of whatever creature it was.

At any rate the idea was no goofier than sealing in glycerin, mercury or poison into a bullet with wax. Or trying to seal it in at all. Or maybe equally goofy. If it worked on any level it would have been sold commercially 60 years ago.

Now a shot gun shell?

What flick was that where the hero loaded the shotgun shells with quarters? One of the Mila Jovovich ones. Raccoon City, in a prison or something. She shoots monsters with about 4 bucks worth of quarters a pop. Steel washers wern't dramatic enough...had to be quarters.

tipoc