The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 25, 2001, 10:29 PM   #1
godmode

I am in the market for a new shotgun. It will be my first. I am undecided what i should get. I am looking for something for skeet and trap. Interchangable barrels. I am not sure if i want pump or autoloading. I hear about realiability problems with autoloading. I want a shotgun that will do it all for me.. Any help would be appreicated.
Old March 25, 2001, 11:00 PM   #2
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"

If you want he best I highly recommend Benelli. The 20ga Montefeltro is to die for. Reliability is not an issue - Benelli uses a patented inertia recoil system, there's nothing else like it. The only downside is they know they make the best shotguns on the planet and charge accordingly. -- Kernel
Old March 25, 2001, 11:29 PM   #3
Bam Bam

For an all-around SG an auto-loader is the way to go. You have lots to choose from, at least this many,

Winchester Super X
Winchester Super X2
Remington 1100
Remington 11-87
Browning Gold
Browning A5
Franchi 48AL
Benelli
Beretta 390
Beretta 391
Fabarm, HK
Charles Daly

Have fun doing the research, try to handle/shoot what you can before deciding.
Old March 26, 2001, 05:16 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

We all have our picks on this, I recommend you go to a range with rental guns and try out a few before sinking any money into something you may regret buying.

As for choices,pumps tend to be more reliable than autos, but the folks who shoot autos have learned to clean them properly and the lead held by the pumps is narrowing. Also, SOME kinds of autos have less felt recoil than other shotguns.

If I were picking up a clay games gun to be used solely for same(unlikely), I'd consider a semi like the 1100 or the Beretta 390-391 series.
Old March 26, 2001, 07:19 AM   #5
PJR

For trap and sporting you want a 12 gauge. Nothing wrong with using a 20 for fun but the competitive shooters universally favor the 12. And, although there are lots of folks who are good with pump actions, semis make shooting doubles much easier.

The most common semis on the target fields are the Remington 1100/11-87 series and the Beretta 391/390 series. The Browning Golds would be third.

With all due respect to Kernel's opinion, the Benelli might be the best recoil-operated, semi-automatic shotgun in the world but they are not the best shotgun in the world period. They are a reliable gun when using full power shells and in very rough weather. That's why duck hunters love them and rightly so. But target shooters like a softer shooting gas guns as opposed to the recoil-operated Benelli.

In a world that produces Fabbris, Perazzis, Krieghoffs, Purdeys, etc. it's hard to consider the Benelli the best in the world. Damn good guns for certain purposes to be sure but for target shooting, I'd go first to Beretta and second to Remington. I currently own an Beretta 390 and it has never malfunctioned and shot shells from light one ounce target right up to 3" magnum duck loads.

Pick the one that fits and feels best to you.

Paul
Old March 26, 2001, 09:22 PM   #6
godmode

See my problem is i live in mass. I have no place to go and test these things. I have to research on the net and hope i make the right choice. So i shouldn't go wrong with the remington 1100 or the bereta 390? I have a few friends who also recommended the 1100..
Old March 26, 2001, 10:20 PM   #7
Kernel

PJR, I can't disagree with a thing you wrote. My earlier answer was kinda misleading, I'm the one lusting over a 20ga Montefeltro, a 12ga is definitely a way more common choice for a guy looking for a do-it-all shotgun (though a 3" 20ga will do anything a 2 3/4" 12ga will).

I didn't mean to comapare Benellis to the finest European over-unders because it's pretty obvious godmode isn't in the market for "Fabbris, Perazzis, Krieghoffs, Purdeys, etc." However, if he was to win one in a raffle IMO he'd be well advised to sell it and get two or three Bennellis instead.

So let me put some conditions on my earlier statement: Benelli's "best in the world" status is limited to just autoloading shotguns. -- Kernel
Old March 27, 2001, 05:28 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Either the 1100 or the 390-391 will work fine as a gamer gun, and will also serve in the field. While the guys over at Shotgun Report say the Berretas will last longer, it takes an incredible amount of shooting the 1100 to show wear. A new set of springs and rings every 10-20,000 rounds will keep things perking along nicely.

At the ranges I attend, maybe 90% of the autos seen are either the 1100 or various Berretas.
Old March 27, 2001, 07:23 AM   #9
PJR

Kernel:

If someone won a Purdey or Fabbri in an auction he could buy three Benellis, a new truck and put a sizeable downpayment on a house. Your point is well taken.

The first time I field stripped a Benelli I was struck by the simplicity and ruggedness of the design compared to the gas guns which have more parts. That said the gas guns are a little easier on recoil. Both types have their advantages.
Old March 27, 2001, 02:17 PM   #10
smark

New Shotgun...

godmode,

you mentioned that you live in Mass. Where in MA?
I also live in MA, and have shot sporting clays and trap at a club in Westford. The Lowell Sportmen's club has both Skeet and Trap,( however not Sporting Clays) Westford has Trap and Sporting Clays, but not skeet. I'm sure that if you went to a local club, introduced your self, and explained your situation, members will let you try their guns for a few rounds. It all depends on what type of shooting you want to do. Trap, skeet, sporting clays, hunting only, etc.. I'm sure there is a club someplace near where you live. In my short involvement with clay games, I have seen mostly o/u on the trap range, and 80-90% o/u's shooting sporting clays. I also see Beretta autos, 390 or 391 a lot. Some of the regular shooters will break out the pump or sxs for a round of sporting clays, but mostly o/u and semi's. Take your time buying and trying. I shoot a Beretta A390 ST Sport, and love it. I've read that shooting is 2% gun, 98% mental. I believe it. Learning how much lead to give a clay target travelling 60± mph takes lots of practice. I wish I could get the hang of it, but then again I've only shot three rounds of sporting clays through the 390. Not a lot of gun shops in MA., and the few that are remaining are dissapearing fast. There's a good place on Route 119 in Pepperell, and of course there's also Kittery Trading Post. They have a very nice selection of guns, new and used, and the guys up there seem to know what they are talking about. Nice place to go handle all sorts of different guns. O/U, sxs, semis, pumps, etc... go to http://www.ktpguns.com, and browse through their selection of guns before you go up. e-mail me, and I think I can find the name of the place in Pepperell. the name escapes me right now. It's a very nice shop, and he seemed to have a very, very nice selection of guns. There is also AG Guns in Lowell, they have a web page, http://www.agguns.com, I think. I hear they also have a good training school, but I have never used them.
Good Luck, let us know what you decide.
Steve

Old March 29, 2001, 12:55 PM   #11
Kernel

The widespread use of a particular brand of shotgun does not necessarily indicate it’s supremacy. I see a lot of Hyundai Accents on the road but that does not make them the best car money can buy….. or even a good value. I suspect the high representation of Remington and Beretta autoloading shotguns on the firingline has more to due with their availability from Wal-Mart than with any kind of functional superiority over Benelli. -- Kernel
Old March 29, 2001, 03:57 PM   #12
PJR

Kernel:

If availability at Walmart was an indicator the clay fields would be dominated by the Remington 870 Express and various Mossbergs. Conversely, I've never seen a Perazzi, Krieghoff, or high-grade Brownings and Beretta over/unders at Walmart but they are common sights on the target lines.

Clay shooters are often very discrimanting in their gun choices. The reason the Beretta, Remington and Browning semis are chosen before the Benellis is the softer shooting gas action and, in the case of the Beretta, an ability to shoot everything from 7/8's ounce target loads to 3" magnum goose loads. Not a slight against Benellis but just the way it happens to be.