The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 2001, 04:18 PM   #1
DOCSpanky

Experiences with a Lee Load All 2

Well I thought I would pass on my extreme pleasure with this device. After figuring out the squirrley auto primer feed, and figuring out that the 8 fold crip was in the back, it loads ammo BETTER than my old MEC. I can still turn out a box about every 20 minutes, I was at about 17 on the MEC, I attribute this to the sizing function. It turns out better than factory. I do wish there were some more options in the powder bushings. I finally broke down and bought the Lyman 4th edition, (I have many others), and found the 1300+ fps load I was looking for for my 20. But I will have to batch load it because the max is 24 grains of SR4756, and no bushing throws it. You get slighted almost a whole grain going low and go over nearly half a grain if you go high!

But overall a very good little toy.

I paid $34.99 for it. I am loading my favorite clays recipe at $2.31 a box. It duplicates the factory AA target load at $5.31 after tax at Wally world. I loaded 7 boxes today for a savings of $21.00!!!
I do not count my time as it is a hobby like shooting to me, I enjoy it! I figure another 20 boxes or so and all my accessories will be paid for also.

Maybe I can use this to justify that Browing Citori NOT!!

FWIW DOC
Old October 23, 2001, 07:04 PM   #2
jhisaac

Man, I must be doing something wrong. I am no where near 20 minutes per box, at least it seems like it. I gues I've never timed myself. It's nice to know I'm not the only one loading with a LA2. I got mine so I could try out reloading without shelling out a bunch of money just to see if it was something I wanted to do. Maybe someday I'll move up to the Dillon MecChucker 9000, but for now my LA2 keeps me in more shells than my shoulder can take at a time.

Jhisaac
Old October 23, 2001, 08:18 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I been swearing I was gonna get one of them Lee's DOC. Brother in law had one and it was a hellofa lot faster then the old MEC Super 250 (with the transfer die) that I have been using for 30 some odd years. If I wasn't do damn tight I guess I would have gotton one already...........seriously DOC thanks for the information.
Old October 24, 2001, 02:36 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

Another happy LoadAll II loader here. I'm getting about the same speed you list Doc, as long as I don't count setup time. Here's a hint for those who buy one. There isn't nearly as much leverage needed for it, so attach your LoadAll to a small, light detachable base that you can clamp onto a table or your regular loading bench. That way, when you have to empty the powder or shot hoppers, you can simply cover one side and pour out the other. The slow changeout for powder, shot and bushings is the Lee's only downside. I've made some great ammo for it, including some very fun (but dirty) buckshot loads. I make my favorite 1-1/8oz trap loads for only $3 per box. Sure beats the crappy 7/8oz Remington WallyWorld loads, for only pennies more per box.
Old October 24, 2001, 04:48 PM   #5
DOCSpanky

I shot my first reloads off the load all today, and to say they performed as well if not better than factory loads would be understated. They were examined and passed the "which is the factory load?" test. All in all an excellent experience. I would reccomend it to anyone. IT is truely portable, I could take it and mount it on my tailgate if needed!