The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 23, 2013, 01:17 PM   #51
Spats McGee
Staff

Ah, yes, nothing starts the bickering like "Glock vs. 1911s."

Stop the bickering, please.
Old April 23, 2013, 03:55 PM   #52
Gaerek

The main point I was trying to make was that it's an interesting statistic. Like the fact that it takes light 8 minutes to get from the surface of the sun to the Earth, yet, it takes over 10,000 (and possibly over 100,000) years for that same light to get from the center of the sun to the surface.

I suppose I could say "So what?" to that, because honestly, it doesn't really affect me much. However, it's also very interesting, and surprising. Sort of like the Glock that ran over 300,000 rounds before catastrophic failure. Very interesting. It doesn't make me like Glocks more, it doesn't make me want to run to my LGS and buy more, but it makes me go, "Wow, that's pretty cool!"

The secondary point was that it appears there are people who just want to forget the fact that this is a cool statistic, however useless it is, and try to minimize it as much as possible. You don't like Glocks? Cool, save it for a Glock sucks, or a Glock vs. <insert whatever gun you're a fanboy of> thread. This thread, on the other hand, isn't about Glocks sucking, or having a weird grip angle, throwing brass in your face, or whatever minor reason makes you hate Glocks. It's about a gun (that happens to be a Glock) that fired over 348,000 rounds, with only a recoil and striker spring change, before a catastrophic failure. That's pretty amazing, no matter what gun it is.
Old April 23, 2013, 04:22 PM   #53
TunnelRat

Quote:
The main point I was trying to make was that it's an interesting statistic. Like the fact that it takes light 8 minutes to get from the surface of the sun to the Earth, yet, it takes over 10,000 (and possibly over 100,000) years for that same light to get from the center of the sun to the surface.
The idea that this letter is somehow "proof" of a statistic as reliable as the speed of light is laughable to me.

Is it impressive if true? Damn impressive.

I don't get why you take the Glock hate so personally. It's almost like you go into these threads looking for people to bash Glocks so you can defend them. As if one of the most popular firearms on the face of the planet needs defending.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 23, 2013, 04:25 PM   #54
Spats McGee
Staff

Enough.

ETA: Just to wrap this thread up nice & neat . . . simonrichter was kind enough to inform me that "DW" stands for "Deutsch Wagram", the place where Glock's head office (to which the letter was addressed) is located.

Last edited by Spats McGee; April 23, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old April 26, 2013, 08:42 AM   #55
Spats McGee
Staff

Having received some relevant information via PM, I have decided to re-open this thread for discussion. As it turns out, LUPUS has first-hand knowledge of the pistol in question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUPUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUPUS
Dear Spats McGee,

The Glock 17 pistol in the thread below was seen and phtographed by me during a visit to Glock factory in Deutch-Wagram in March 2013.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523220

I shared the photographs in different forums such as glocktalk, sigforum and in a domestic firearms forum in my native country. I think someone has copied the pictures and shared in different web sites.

I just wanted to inform you that the pistol is being exhibited at the Glock factory enterance and all the pictures and the letter from the Hirtenberger is not fake.

Best Regrads.
Thank you, LUPUS. For purposes of validating some of what was shared in the thread, would you mind if I posted some of this PM? PMs are (unsurprisingly) considered private, so I will not be offended if you say, "no."

Cordially,
Spats McGee

Dear Spats McGee,

Please feel free to share any part or the whole of the private message I send you. If the thread has not been closed or if I had seen the thread before it has been closed, I would have shared the same information in the thread.

Best Regards.

With that, I will re-open this for further discussion. Please avoid the bickering.
Old April 26, 2013, 10:38 AM   #56
LUPUS

Thanks for giving a second word for the thread.

As it is stated in the PM I send to staff, the first generation Glock 17 that shot those huge amount of rounds is being exhibited at the Glock factory and the pictures are taken by me during a factory visit to Deutsch-Wagram. It was a day long visit with joyful shooting experience the factory range. Since is not allowed to take pictures inside the factory I could only share the pictures of the pistol.

You can see the pistol and the letter in the far left of the upper second raw;

So the pistol and the letter is not fake and can be seen at the factory visits.

Best.
Old April 26, 2013, 10:40 AM   #57
Spats McGee
Staff

I really wish I'd thougt to go tour the Glock factory, and that I'd had time to do so, the last time I was in that neck of the woods.
Old April 26, 2013, 10:53 AM   #58
Tactical Jackalope

Awesome Lupus! Very good proof right there. that should about end it. Now we can chat among ourselves.

Spats, that's a kick in the rear. I would have loved to be there and know I can visit. Darn....

Love the cut away Glock there too. I want that as a decorative item in my apartment. lol
Old April 26, 2013, 11:16 AM   #59
Spats McGee
Staff

Frankly, I think it's interesting that the symbol on the back of the case is in English: "Safe Action Pistols," and "Perfection."

Constantine: Even if I'd thought about it, believe me . . . there's a metric TON of cool stuff to see in Vienna, and I only had a couple of days.
Old April 26, 2013, 02:36 PM   #60
simonrichter

Funny... I have lived in Vienna for all of my life and I never heard about the possibility to visit the Glock factory. Is it available for the general public or only for industry insiders? Deutsch Wagram is hardly 40mins from where I live, so that would be worth an excursion...

And yes, a lot of other stuff to see here. Should someone from this Forum come round here some day, feel free to PM me! I always love to play the tourist guide
Old April 26, 2013, 03:03 PM   #61
LUPUS

Dear simonrichter, unfortunately only poeple from the industry or the people with special comittees or groups are allowed, the factory is not open to general public. American companies arrenge public factory tours sometimes, but European companies never.It was just a chance for me attending a comittes meeting for a special project so one of the benefits came out as a Glock factory tour...

Best.

Last edited by LUPUS; April 26, 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old April 26, 2013, 03:06 PM   #62
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, I don't guess I'd have been able to go tour it, after all. I wasn't special like that.
Old April 26, 2013, 03:22 PM   #63
LUPUS

It was a real coincidence and yes, during the factory tour you feel realy special...
By the way, isn't it special to be in the Emperor Gaston' s flag ship?...

Old April 26, 2013, 04:56 PM   #64
simonrichter

LOL

Have to be content with one of Gaston's blasters, I reckon

Yeah the old fox would have gotten the exclusive contracts for both the rebel forces AND the imperial storm troopers...

Luckily our neat little Alp republic is neutral and peaceful, so nobody will disturb us glutting the world with firearms
Old April 26, 2013, 07:39 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin44az:
I think Chuck Taylor has also run Glocks for a long, long time....
IIRC, Taylor had an article in the February 2011 issue of Combat Handguns in which he states that his G17 has just over 270,000 rounds through it- evidently he uses it as a "loaner gun" during courses.

If the design is durable enough go 270k with very few problems, I don't see why it couldn't go 348k with just a little TLC.

Looks like the Glock is a pretty tough weapon.

Very interesting thread- I'd heard of this particular Glock 17 before but never seen anything in the way of documentation/proof. Thanks, LUPUS.
Old April 26, 2013, 09:19 PM   #66
Wreck-n-Crew

Ummm errr....maybe i should share my video now Spats?

I talked with someone at Glock and they said they do comparative test's all the time! He made no big deal of it either. They had no knowledge of the letter though.

Evidently they already know this

Shoot 400 rounds a week for 16 years and you can get there...or 800 for 8!(8 years 2.5 days @ 800 to be exact.) Seems more possible that way!

Ok i was trying to be slick to get answers....think i failed the slick part...but interesting...http://s47.photobucket.com/user/recn...tml?sort=3&o=0
Old April 26, 2013, 09:21 PM   #67
Spats McGee
Staff

Oh, yes, Wreck-n-Crew, please do. I totally spaced on that, and I apologize.
Old April 26, 2013, 09:35 PM   #68
Wreck-n-Crew

Also spoke to someone @ the ammo factory, they would not confirm people or letters, but did confirm that they have achieved numbers like that in gun barrels (wouldn't say who they used only more than one).

I have also since spoken with someone @ an American ammunition manufacturer that confirmed the same numbers, but also declined naming brands.

Also they requested that i not use the company name on anything relating to test ...I can see why.

Add the letter to what we know (Glock 17 gen 1) and that was almost 20 years ago....
Old April 26, 2013, 09:40 PM   #69
LUPUS

Maybe you should try to call Glock Austria Deutsch Wagram instead of Glock USA Smyrna...
Old April 26, 2013, 09:42 PM   #70
Tactical Jackalope

Gen 1 Glock 17 with 348000 rounds fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUPUS View Post
Maybe you should try to call Glock Austria Deutsch Wagram instead of Glock USA Smyrna...
I was thinking that I swear lol. I also second that notion. I would but, long distance calls...eh.
Old April 26, 2013, 09:47 PM   #71
Wreck-n-Crew

Wish i woulda thought of that....with as much as i got from Glock here....could have cut to the chase!
Old April 26, 2013, 10:49 PM   #72
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, if we had someone who lived in Vienna and spoke the language . . . (hint, hint) . . .
Old April 29, 2013, 04:20 PM   #73
simonrichter

Quote:
Well, if we had someone who lived in Vienna and spoke the language . . . (hint, hint) . . .
Well, actually we DO - but I must admit I kind of lost the point by now. How can I be of help?
Old April 29, 2013, 06:50 PM   #74
spanishjames

I've looked at Glocks and although they never felt right in MY hand, this type of information makes me want one.