The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 22, 2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Da_swed

conicals 1858

Hi never used conicals b4, only rb now i did buy conicals

but i noticed the plundger on the loadinglever is in the way so i cant press em down in the cylinder

its a pietta 1858 new army btw bought these .452 (Lee 90351 - 228gr)

any tips or ideas
Old March 22, 2013, 02:38 PM   #2
robhof

robhof

On many b/p revolvers, you have to load the conicals off the gun with a loading press, or go with a shorter bullet. Lee makes a REAL style bullet mold for revolvers that seems to work in my ROA's and my Walker. I do have a press though and can load a variety of bullets into the cylinders.
Old March 22, 2013, 03:05 PM   #3
maillemaker

Yup, what Rob said.

Use an external loader or get shorter bullets.

Steve
Old March 22, 2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Hellgate

Robhof & Da_swed,
I've never had a problem loading the LEE 44 cal 200gr conical in Piettas, Ubertis or Euroarms Remingtons. Colt 1860 Armies are iffy. The R.E.A.L. bullet that works in the Remingtons is the 44 cal one. The 45 cal might be OK for the ROA but is too big for the Remingtons. I got one of the last ones made by LEE. They don't make 'em (44 cal R.E.A.L.) anymore.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 23, 2013, 02:46 AM   #5
jolly1

I have Pietta army 1860, and have tested lee conical 450-200.
There is a slight "glitch" when loading, as in start the conical goes down the chamber under some angle, but ones they reach the first lube ring, they get upright as they are supposed to.

After loading the cylinder I saw no difference looking from top in the chamber allignement in all 5 conical bullets (1 chamber I ussually keep empty), all alligned the same way.

Afterwards, for shooting - no problem noticed.

The only drawback I noticed is less accuracy for conicals when compared to round ball (I use rb 454).
I atribute this problem to barrel rifling which in my Pietta army is designed for RB (not conical), which is around 1/28. For conical sharper rifling twist should be considered - i.e. Uberty, unless Pietta has another production line for which I am not aware.

Good shooting!
Old March 23, 2013, 10:40 AM   #6
woodnbow

I've got a bunch of the old Buffalo conicals in .451" size. Ran 50 of them thru a 1860 cavalry model yesterday and yes they do take more care to load but with a cylinder full of 3F Goex or 777 they give most satisfying clang to the gongs...