The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 12, 2013, 12:40 PM   #1
souther33

Benelli or Beretta

So I am going to get a new shotgun for turkey season and would like to know what you would pick. I will also use it for duck and small game. I have narrowed it down to the SBE2 or the Beretta A400 xtreme with the Kickoff. Both will be in camo and 28" barrel. I would like to know what you like, and what you don't like about each gun and why you would pick it. Please keep in mind all the Innovations and aspects, like which one shoulders better and which one is less likely to jam in wet environments also dose the crio treatment on the Benelli really help or is it just an advertising scheme as with the Beretta like the steelium barrels.

Last edited by souther33; February 12, 2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old February 12, 2013, 01:41 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

In reality, you should go shoulder both of them and see which you like better. Either will function well for what you ask.

I personally would pick the SBEII with a ComforTech stock. I love Benelli's, and, while they might have slightly more felt recoil than the Beretta due to the Beretta being gas operated and the Benelli being inertia operated, for the same reasons the Benelli is easier to clean.

There is not enough difference in reliability between the two to say one will better than the other in that aspect.

And yes, I have shot both. I have duck hunted with the A400 and taken the SBEII dove and goose hunting.

Currently, I shoot a Beretta 3901 for most of my hunting because for what it costs, I don't have to worry (as much) about dropping it in a lake

Last edited by allaroundhunter; February 12, 2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:33 PM   #3
chadio

I agree with allaroundhunter.... as an owner of a Beretta AL391 I can assure you that it is a soft-shooter and a bit intensive to clean. However, Beretta has some excellent videos that take you thru the process, step by step.

No first-hand knowledge of the Benelli, but would like to try or even own one someday.

Since I'm not a hunter, and only interested in blasting many clay pigeons, I love the Beretta's recoil - you can shoot it all day long and it won't beat you up, at all.
Old February 12, 2013, 06:13 PM   #4
mete

With my old Benelli M1 90 it was far easier and faster to take the action apart to show how it works than to try to explain it !
Old February 12, 2013, 06:20 PM   #5
stephen426

Souther,

I just bought a Beretta A400 with the Kick-Off system. I wrote an informal report here. I used it at the skeet and trap range, as well as on 3 duck hunts. The cleaning is a bit complicated the first time around, but as mentioned, Beretta has a great video on their website.

I can't comment on the Benelli, but hopefully other members can chime.

For me, the reliability was perfect and recoil was very managable with full power 3" loads. I felt the gun was pretty light, but a side by side comparison confirmed that the Beretta Urica was lighter, even with wood stocks.

Good luck!
Old February 13, 2013, 08:45 AM   #6
jmr40

The Benelli will be far more likely to continue to function in harsh dirty condtions. It will be lighter and will recoil more.

The Beretta will be heavier, will be just as reliable, as long as it is kept reasonably clean. (not always possible in a duck blind). The Beretta will have a bit less felt recoil because of the gas system and greater weight.

My personal peference is the Benelli M-2. I have no need for 3.5" shells. Any of the 3.5" guns will be less than 100% reliable with the lighter 2 3/4" ammo used most often. The 3" guns will be more reliable with lighter loads. I don't see the logic of owning a gun that will shoot the shells I'll use the least (3.5"), and have a less reliable gun with the ammo I'll shoot the most.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:09 AM   #7
jones1220

My stepfather has a Benelli SBE2 and loves it. It cycles reliably and is a soft shooter, even with 3.5 shells. If I had the extra cash, it is what I would buy.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:55 PM   #8
stephen426

jmr40,

I'm not sure where you are getting your information regarding the Beretta and the 2 3/4 inch loads being unreliable. I shot about 4 boxes of 2 3/4 inch at the range and did not have a single hiccup. I was using standard weight #8 loads. One of the reasons I went with the Beretta was its ability to handle a wide variety of loads.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:16 PM   #9
souther33

still have not decided what to buy yet. just waiting for more replies but I have look at both of them it seems that the Benelli shoulders better but fells a little plasticy while the Beretta fells like it is better built
Old February 13, 2013, 10:32 PM   #10
boattale

I've got a Benelli M-1 Super 90. It's had low thousands of rounds by now through it and it has never had a failure of any kind. It's ugly as homemade sin. Not much of a fault with a shotgun that you can hit with though, and know it's going to function every single time.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:52 PM   #11
allaroundhunter

Quote:
it seems that the Benelli shoulders better but fells a little plasticy while the Beretta fells like it is better built
I'm not sure what you mean by more "plasticy", because the Beretta is all synthetic as well. The Benelli is lighter though, because it does not have to use a gas system which removes some weight.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:17 AM   #12
Virginian

Benellis do work, but I would prefer any gas gun. I just don't care for inertia, or long recoil, guns. Beretta builds some very good ones.
Old February 15, 2013, 10:44 PM   #13
souther33

Quote:
Benellis do work, but I would prefer any gas gun. I just don't care for inertia, or long recoil, guns.
Why do you not care for inertia guns.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:45 AM   #14
BigD_in_FL

I own the A400 with kick off, it is easy to clean, a soft shooter, and will handle anything, even my 3/4 oz reloads. Benellis are good guns, but they are lighter meaning more recoil to your shoulder
Old February 16, 2013, 08:01 AM   #15
Virginian

By their nature, inertia guns require the receiver and bolt to move to the rear rapidly under recoil. They are simple, and therefore also light. They either kick the crap out of you, or they utilize a two piece stock. REALLY hate those stocks. Since it is entirely a matter of taste. I won't say anything about the Benelli's looks.
Old February 16, 2013, 09:00 PM   #16
BigD_in_FL

Inertia is different than long recoil. Think of an inertia shotgun as basically like a blow back pistol.......both actions act in a similar nature
Old February 16, 2013, 09:58 PM   #17
LockedBreech

Benelli or Beretta

Beretta owns Benelli and they both make amazing shotguns. I'd go by personal feel and comfort. Quality-wise they're both winners.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:35 AM   #18
Virginian

Sorry to quibble, but an inertia action does not function at all like a blow back pistol. The bolt in an inertia action is locked to the barrel until it is unlocked after the shot is long gone. In short, when a round is fired, everything in an inertia gun, except the rear section of the bolt, recoils to the rear. The rear of the bolt resists moving (due to inertia) and compresses a spring. When that spring uncompresses, it throws the bolt to the rear as the shooter stops the gun.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:23 PM   #19
boattale

^^ Correct. Which is also the reason some complain about the recoil. It's no different than firing any fixed breech shotgun (think 870 or OU). Which never bothered me and reduced recoil was not a feature I was looking for when I bought my Benelli. I was looking for reliable and easy to maintain. And I got them both.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:51 PM   #20
Virginian

^^^^ True. But, back when, I was looking at an SBE (not the 2 model) with a wood stock. I liked the looks passably, and the feel. Shot a bunch of heavy 2-3/4" and 3" loads. Shot it quite well. Then I tried some of the 3-1/2" Roman Candles. I swear that was the worst kicking gun (and it did fit me) I have ever shot since I pulled both triggers at once on a 10 gauge SxS. It shouldn't have, but it kicked worse than a Mossberg pump. I went to a 10 gauge until tungsten came along. I specially lightened a 10 gauge BPS - as in machined away metal, so it's not like I am a recoil wimp.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:36 AM   #21
CurlyQ.Howard

If you can handle a BPS (either 12 or 10 gauge as far as I'm concerned), you most certainly are not a wimp.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:37 PM   #22
BigJimP

Both Beretta and Benelli make good solid guns...

Unless you have a lot of experience with shotguns.../ and know specifically what stock dimensions "fit" you ...length of pull, drop at comb, drop at heel - its going to be difficult to decide on how well a gun fits you in a store. The only way to really tell - is when you take it to a pattern board to check the point of impact vs where you look ...and make whatever adjustments you need to make in the comb, etc....

gas guns have less recoil ...Inertia guns shoot cleaner.../ but if you clean your gun after every range or field trip it may not be a big deal one way or the other. Personally, I like the Inertia - Benelli - if you buy it in a synthetic stock and it has the comfort tech recoil supression system in it...then the difference in recoil between them is minimal.

Inertia guns are generally lighter / makes them easier to carry in the field / means you have more recoil for any given shell. Increasing the weight of a shotgun about 1 lb will reduce the recoil about 12% ( all things being equal - same shell - same velocity - same ounces of shot ) ....so a 1lb lighter gun, all things being equal will give you about 12% more recoil...then you have the amount of reduction from the gas system ...vs Inertia system....
--------
I have Benelli Super Sport models in both 12ga and 20ga.....and both guns will cycle 100% reliably with 2 3/4 " shells ...or 3" shells ...( but the length of the shell is irrelevent ! ) ....what matters is the velocity of the shell...not the charge weight - not the length of the shell..../ both of my Benelli's will cycle 100% reliably as long as the shells are loaded to 1200 fps or faster. Neither one of them will cycle loads at 1150 fps reliably ...not if they're 3/4oz, 7/8 oz, 1 oz, or 1 1/8 oz ...the amount of shot does not matter either !! The velocity of the shell is what matters ! If you reload its easy to determine the velocity of your own shells ....if you don't, then look for a shell that says it is a 3 Dram Equivalent shell and it should be fine in any of the Benelli Inertia guns - based on my experience. Now, if you don't keep your gun clean ..and properly lubed...then they may not cycle lighter loads..
-----------
As a side note....if you reduce the shot charge in a shell 1/8 oz ...so you go from 1 1/8oz to 1 oz .... or from 1 oz to 7/8 oz ...it will reduce the recoil about 20% ....which is really significant. Most of us these days are looking for ways to reduce the payload in our shells because the cost of shot is increasing all the time / and personally, I'm shooting 3/4 oz loads in 12ga and 20ga ( which is a typical 28ga load )....and my scores have not really changed....but if I was shooting "registered targets" ....I'd probably go back to 1oz loads in a 12ga and 7/8oz loads in my 20ga..../ but my days of shooting registered targets for the most part are long gone....I shoot for fun now..

Buy the gun you like .....ideally the one that "Fits" you the best - so it hits where you look !!

Last edited by BigJimP; February 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:57 PM   #23
CurlyQ.Howard

Yes, you must really check them out for yourself. A couple of years ago my brother was wondering which to get, and I said the Beretta. He got it, but now regrets its weight (but let me be clear - he has no problem what-so-ever killing ducks with it).
Old February 21, 2013, 05:01 PM   #24
publius

They are tied for the best auto gun on the market, in my opinion. Pick the one that feels the best.
Old February 28, 2013, 06:53 AM   #25
RoosterBooster3632

My two cents

From your original post I don't think I would buy a 3.5" gun. If you are hunting turkeys a 3" turkey load is all you need. I only use 3.5" for geese when we have to reach out a little farther. It sounds like you won't be in a waterfowl blind so that would play in my decision. Waterfowls blinds can be a dirty environment for a shotgun and that will effect performance. Benellis are proven reliable when dirty. I have a friend that has a SBE that hasn't been cleaned in thousands of rounds and it just keeps cycling. The Beretta will have less felt recoil. As stated the cleaning on the Beretta is more involved. I can strip and clean my Benelli in minutes with no tools. The only issue I have ever had with my Benelli cycling was when some dirt / weeds had gotten in the magazine tube and the last shell didn't clear the tube and load into the chamber. Now I just make sure I clean that when cleaning the rest of the gun as preventative maintenance. I have cycled many thousands of rounds through my Benelli and in my opinion the gun has been worth every penny I paid for it years ago (was a tough decision to drop that much coin on it back then).You might also want to look at the Benelli Vinci or Super Vinci, it is a nice gun and if I were to be in the market for a new shotgun today that would be what I would get. I have shot a friends in ND pheasant hunting and really liked it. Fortunately I have a ten year old Benelli that fills my needs so I'm not in the market for a new gun. My son-in-law has the Beretta auto and he is very happy with it. I'm not brand biased as I also have a Beretta White Wing 12ga O/U that I love for sporting clays. I'm sure you will be happy with either brand once you take the plunge.
Good Luck!